PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Boonetown
02-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I would like to know if anyone has used a wireless keyboard and mouse with their Tricaster or if anyone from Newtek can suggest a model that will work with it that won't void warrenty?

Thanks

Paul Lara
02-05-2006, 08:08 AM
There should be no problems with wireless keyboard & mouse, and there would be no reason it would affect warrany. I know of no wireless solultions that require hardware modifications.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any of the available models.

John Perkins
02-05-2006, 09:17 AM
I haven't used one with the TriCaster, but you should really think about reliability.

I keep trying to find one that works well on my desk. They all claim to have around a 6 foot range but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried Logitech, Microsoft and several smaller companies and various models of each.

In most cases, an RF keyboard might make it 3 feet, sometimes 6 but if anything in the area is on your frequency, give up. I've had friends in the same position trying bluetooth with similar results.

I've found one Logitech mouse for a notebook that I can use 6 feet away for long periods of time, but it is no longer made and is quite small. The new ones aren't even close to that reliability.

Keep in mind, I'm just trying to get these to work 100% of the time on a small glass-topped desk! The reciever is literally a foot and a half from the things.

Before you try to do a presentation on using wireless ANYTHING, including mics, make sure you have a backup plan and know the limitations.

My advice is to get a keyboard with a built in USB hub, plug in the VM and mouse to the keyboard and run just one USB cable to the TriCaster.

USB or PS2 wireless devices won't void your warranty, but I don't want you to void your paycheck either. ;)

Boonetown
02-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your input, I've gone with the USB keyboard and mouse. I agree with the stability of wireless. I didn't think it was going to be a problem at first but because the farthest I would be away from the Tricaster is two feet. But I do recall using a laptop with wireless and I had a problem with a signal only 10 inches away.