PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Plug-ins?

Scott_Blinn
02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Having just gotten back into LW recently after a long hiatus, I was wondering what people here thought were “must have” plug-ins for LightWave?

It might also be nice to know what your main uses for LW are as I am sure that will influence some plug-in choices over others (animator vs. modeler for example).

The ones I have found so far that I own and love are:

* Rope Edit Plus (where's the Mac version already! :) )

* LWCAD (thanks :newtek: !)

lesterfoster
02-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I agree with your choices. They are both fantastic plugins. In addition to the ones that you mention. I would like a plugin for dimensioning tools. Like what you find in CAD programs. Such as Rhino. I am continuously saving my work that I do in LightWAVE, just to open it up in the demo version of Rhino only to check the dimensioning of the model that I made in lightwaves modeler. Only three tools would be very helpful, Radius, Angle, and the distance between two points, on a -<< X, Y, Z, >>- bases.

If there was a plugin for lightwave for dimensioning like the dimension tools that are available in Rhino, I would not hesitate to buy it.

It might also be nice to know what your main uses for LW are as I am sure that will influence some plug-in choices over others (animator vs. modeler for example).

I use LightWAVE for product development, rapid prototyping, and tool making. For aircraft parts & organic shaped objects.

kopperdrake
02-03-2006, 08:44 PM
FPrime, FPrime and FPrime :D

You can set up a scene's texturing and lighting in real-time, with normal raytrace or radiosity on the fly. Invaluable!! Download the movies showing it in action from worley.com - and when you buy it you'll be around 10 times even more impressed than when you look at the movies :D I haven't hit F9 in about a year - no more test renders!!

Dodgy
02-04-2006, 05:49 AM
FI's wrinkle. Absolutely the most useful plugin for modelling subdivision surfaces into cars and other cad designs.

Fprime, it is expensive, but so worth it.

I would have said IFW shaders, but that might not be so neccesary with the new nodal system, but there are some fantasticly useful effects in it.

Bevel ++, which is kinda like multishift, but I prefer this to pretty much every other lw form of extrude.

My own plugins of course :)

Bog
02-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Mmm. If you're working commercially, FPrime's just about mandatory. Otherwise, other folks can blow you out of the water on render times, as well as setup time and even just What Can Be Done. Animated radiosity calcs as a commercially viable option, f'rexample.

As to how that'll be once Nine ships with it's promised speed increases? We'll see.

MentalFish
02-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Can I add my own plugin? :D

It feels so much nicer to incremental save now that I made a lil Lscript that keeps things tidy (now also for Layout & Mac):

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=335954

Jure
02-04-2006, 10:18 AM
For arch vis I find following a must:

modeler:
Spmove2 and other Pictrix (thank you so much mr.Pictrix for those)
LWCAD
Bevel++
Merge TrigonsX
Random Select
Jetto Bevel
Jetto Local
Point Clone extra
KO_Pointfit
Texture Guide II.

Layout:
Kray
Fprime