PDA

View Full Version : problem after installing 8.5 on dualcore G5

JML
02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I coworker installed 8.5 on his new dual-core G5 and after installing,
LW won't even start.
is OS is 'tiger' , 10.4.4

I don't have much experience with macs, so I'm wondering if any of you had
similar problems and know how to fix it.
I don't know if it's LW that doesn't like the dualcoreG5 or is it the 10.4.4?
he said he had no problem on his regular G5 and no problem on is G4 with 10.4.3 on it.

any idea ?

Lumeswell
02-03-2006, 09:23 PM
LW won't even start.

I don't have much experience with macs, so I'm wondering if any of you had
similar problems and know how to fix it.
I don't know if it's LW that doesn't like the dualcoreG5 or is it the 10.4.4?
he said he had no problem on his regular G5 and no problem on is G4 with 10.4.3 on it.

any idea ?

Sorry I cant offer assistance, Im just experiencing the same problem myself.

Quad G5, straight out of the box.
Install OS update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.4
Install Lightwave (also straight out of the box), registered online with Newtek, enter the registration code - all seems fine.

Double click on LW or Modeller and nothing, they bounce in the dock once, then nothing. No error message, no crash, nothing.

Help!

Let me add to that, Vue doesnt let me enter the registration code from the web either!

Lumeswell
02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
OK, just to test, I installed on my iBook 1.33 G4, running 10.3.9, and it seems to launch fine.

Anybody else have success with 10.4.4 on a G5 - I would really appreciate it working on the new system Ive just forked out for, was planning on stepping up from the iBook for the next project ......

gatz
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Repair permissions.

Check ownership (cmd + i) to establish you have read and write privileges. Double check folder contents for same.

Lumeswell
02-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Gatz,

I checked, and I didnt have permissions for nested folders (like programs) in Applications/Lightwave [8].

Changed permissions for all folders to read and write, but same result - one bounce then nothing. Should I be looking at permission on folders elsewhere.

Hub ran before, as did LWSN - they still do.

Any other thoughts?

gatz
02-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Sometimes applying a permissions change to a folder sometimes doesn't take. I've sometimes had to open each folder up, select all the items and change the permission there. I recently had a formZ install behave this way and it took me a while find the locked files.

Lumeswell
02-04-2006, 01:56 AM
LW won't even start.

any idea ?

JML,

I got it working, need to read the ReadMes ;-)

Install Eve3 from the CD - it looks like it wasnt installed as part of the main installation. The fact that the registration program can read the dongle number doesnt indicate that all the dirvers are properly installed!

I installed it separately (as the read me on the main CD suggests) and it seems to be working now.

Cheers!

bigpixture
02-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I've had a few rough days trying to solve this same problem. I'm using a new Powerbook with the latest software and just could not get Lightwave to open. I found this thread and IT WORKED! Thanks to you all!

JML
02-04-2006, 02:54 PM
thanks, I will let him know

:thumbsup:

mike_stening
02-08-2006, 02:37 AM
hmm, thats very odd as my v8 install disk automatically installs the EVe3 framework as part of the main install. glad you sorted it. they did use to have the Eve stuff in a folder that was marked 'Install first'