PDA

View Full Version : More trouble with my aching bones

gary7
02-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I originally set up skegons in modeler and converted them to bones when brought into layout. My problem is when I try to reposition the bone, then keyframe it and then set the rest (r) position, the mesh does not follow the new bone position. I have tried to deactivate the bones as well before I do all that and still the same result. Also tried taking all the IK chains off too, but no luck on that. Also, I do have weights correctly attached to each bone, so I dont think that is the problem

Also when I am Hierachically moving things around my mesh moves around crazy like.

If someone is willing to take a look at the rig, I can e-mail it to you. I dont necessarily want to post it here.

Thanks

Gary :help:

toby
02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
When you 'r' rest the bones, you're telling the mesh to start from there, which is why it doesn't deform. It will deform when the bone is moved from that new position.

Changing bones around in the heirarchy is not a good idea. If you want to do that in Layout after your skelegons are converted, you'll have to do a lot of experimentation, and take what you get. Otherwise change them in modeler and re-convert the skelegons.

spec24
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
if you're moving them around the hierarchy you should just be able to hit 'r' for the moved bone(s) and have your mesh snap back into place. I never have any problem with it.

gary7
02-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Take a look at the screen shot. As you can see the mesh no longer is attached to bones. I almost got all the way done with this rig where everything was moving great. Then I wanted to parent the 8 legs to the body so they move when the body moves. After I did that everything went hairwire and have not been able to get it the way I want it.

As a work around, could I bring the legs in as a separate object and parent the legs to the body. I have not tried that yet.

Im not an expert at rigging, so if there is anyone who could take a look at this and let me know a better way of going about it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary

gary7
02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Also, I just found something out that may be the problem. If the nulls are not orientated the same way as the end bone of the chain (heading, pitch and bank) could it mess up my mesh???????

Gary

spec24
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
gary, it looks like you moved your bones and then rested them, that's not going to work. You have to move them where you want them in the object at the objects "base" position - as toby pointed out :thumbsup: After that you can move the bones all around however you want - but it's a good idea to do that moving at a different keyframe other than 0.

toby
02-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I think you're making it tougher than it needs to be, you shouldn't have to do hardly any moving and no changing parents of bones, once you're in layout.

Make your skelegons in modeler with the lobster in the background, so you can place the skelegons precisely, and you can check and change your parenting by pressing 'skelegon tree' under the setup tab in modeler. When you convert the skelegons you shoud be able to just rest them all, then start on weight maps, IK, etc.

gary7
02-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Toby, I agree that I am probably over complicating things, but I have seen in tutorials that people have these unattached bones (as I do) that were parented in Layout rather than modeler. It seems when you parent in modeler, the skelegons physically attach themselves, That is originally what I did not want to do, but now Im thinking I should connect all the small legs to the root bone and just de-activate those connector bones, would that be a better way??

Unfortunately, the manual is no help to me. They give great examples of simple non parented bones and IK, but explain little with regards to more conplex rigs, that is why I have sopught out some online tutorials, and that is what I was kind of following as my guide to parenting things.

Thanks for all the advise

Gary

gary7
02-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Ive attached the top view of my lobster so you can take a look at my skelegon setup. Take a look to see if that one bone would be parented right, that way I can set them all up that way. Also take a look at the whole thing to see if you would do anything different

Thanks

Gary

Dodgy
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
That's what I tend to do. Less faffing when I export to layout. Also, I'll name bones in certain ways depending on the jobs they do, like right_shoulder_HOLD, wrist_right_JOINT etc. That way I can filter them in the Scene editor and set their settings en masse....