PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of LightWave v9 Open Beta Details

mattclary
02-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Wooo Hoo! :thumbsup:

And you'll have a surprise that was not among the preliminary features we mentioned - the new LightWave team has taken LightWave's beautiful photo-real renderer away from its single-shader-model past and on to a whole new level of flexibility and power. Now, as with other top-end renderers, you will be able to apply and even mix different shading models on a per-material basis. Shading models offered in the Node Editor include Blinn-Phong, Lambert, Phong, Cook-Torrance, Oren-Nayar, Sub-Surface Scattering (SSS), and Anisotropic. These new models and functionality bring artists a greatly expanded range of flexibility and control over the render, making it easier than ever for LightWave to provide precisely the look you want at render time for every element of your scene.

julos
02-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Finally !! good news :)

Earl
02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Awesome news Kurtis! Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Pavlov
02-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice news...
It seems some things in original feat list are not listed here, but we can finally start to play and squash bugs.

Paolo

Bog
02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I mis-read "Cook-Torrance" initially. You don't wanna know what I read.

Outstanding news, though! Really looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on the Catmull-Clark SubDs. Yay!

BeeVee
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
He told me, and I wish he hadn't... dirty... so very dirty...

B

Pavlov
02-03-2006, 09:49 AM
the amazing new APS system that got rave reviews at SIGGRAPH

what is this ?

Earl
02-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Adaptive Pixel Subdivision

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7607

kopperdrake
02-03-2006, 09:55 AM
shaders-per-surface :D

<dribble>

C'mon beta guys - start playing :D I would if I had the time :( I need to know if FPrime will be able to see instances :D

Nemoid
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
cool news finally :thumbsup:

Emmanuel
02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, I knew they had something cooking (Torrance ?) without putting it on the list, it was just so clear, although I wouldn't have thought they would go that far :)
NT does even surprise me after all these years :)
Well, 9 is indeed the most significant update since 6 for me, now I am pretty happy I pre-ordered.
SSS is really a cool new feature, maybe I can even use it in the basic surface editor, like translucency ?
It could be we will also see improvements of other aspects, like VIPER, the undo system, maybe the morph mixer and stuff like that.
Let me quote Proton: "the future is bright" :)

meatycheesyboy
02-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Beta starts the 14th... Isn't that Valentine's Day? A subtle nod to the customers saying "We love you" from Newtek? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Lito
02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Beta starts the 14th... Isn't that Valentine's Day? A subtle nod to the customers saying "We love you" from Newtek? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Maybe it's more of a "Tell your significant other that you love Newtek more than them by downloading the beta and not spending Valentine's Day with them but Lightwave instead" Evil people at Newtek :devil: :)

Wickster
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Spend time with Wife or Beta test LW9?
Beta test LW9...Spend time with Wife?
:question: Geez why did NT had to make it this hard to decide?

A little off topic but...I do hope we get the video previews of 9 before the Beta goes out.

Kurtis
02-03-2006, 12:55 PM
A little off topic but...I do hope we get the video previews of 9 before the Beta goes out.

New videos are being worked on as we speak, and should start showing up online next week.

Wickster
02-03-2006, 01:30 PM
New videos are being worked on as we speak, and should start showing up online next week.
Thanks Kurtis, but you still haven't answered the question as to how are we suppose to spend time with our loveones, if NewTek is releasing the Beta on Valentines day? :D

paulrus
02-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I mis-read "Cook-Torrance" initially. You don't wanna know what I read.

Hmm all I can think of is "cocktakey", which is some sort of Korean food like kimchee. My wife just explained it in her podcast:

http://www.japancast.net/2006/01/japanest-lesson-7-special-for-digg.html

or digg it here (I'd appreciate the diggs):

http://digg.com/links/Cocktakey_A_lesson_in_Japanese_for_Digg_Nation_s_n ext_trip_to_Japan

Sorry - didn't mean to threadjack...

Kurtis
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks Kurtis, but you still haven't answered the question as to how are we suppose to spend time with our loveones, if NewTek is releasing the Beta on Valentines day? :D
We don't have lives outside of LightWave. Why should you? :D

messiah
02-03-2006, 01:52 PM
"This thread needs more cowbell."

Ok, I sorted the cow part you deal with the bells :)

Kurtis
02-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Show off. :p

wacom
02-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, I knew they had something cooking (Torrance ?) without putting it on the list, it was just so clear, although I wouldn't have thought they would go that far :)
NT does even surprise me after all these years :)
Well, 9 is indeed the most significant update since 6 for me, now I am pretty happy I pre-ordered.
SSS is really a cool new feature, maybe I can even use it in the basic surface editor, like translucency ?
It could be we will also see improvements of other aspects, like VIPER, the undo system, maybe the morph mixer and stuff like that.
Let me quote Proton: "the future is bright" :)

If it works like in other rendertrees, and the way it was stated, SSS will not be so much as a sub node as a material node- IE you can make it the base of what you do and run everything through it. Kind of like cook, ani, and oren-nayar work. I guess well see on the 14th though. This is really a new way for us to look at how shadders work in LW- and a much more powerful one! It is also my understanding that LW will be a strange beast in that it will let you work backwards from this logic if you wish...could be fun.

So in other words- you could control the translucency OF the SSS shader, it's speculars, etc. maybe. Not the other way around as is the current working logic in LW8 no? I'd show you what I'm talking about, but I don't want to post anything non LW here. Can't wait till the 14th! :D

But I'm ready for a TLU worker to prove me wrong and wow me with a shot of the shadder tree with SSS in anyplace along it doing different functions...

lwaddict
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
That brings up a very serious topic...

will we be getting an updated/upgraded cow?

I've grown so accustomed to testing out all of the features of Lightwave on that **** cow all these years...I'd like a fresh cow.

Or is it just me?

Thor Simpson
02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
That brings up a very serious topic...

will we be getting an updated/upgraded cow?

The Cow I saw in the 9.0 beta at the NewTek Live event was the same cow. I couldn't believe he opened up the cow. :p

I agree that, since NewTek missed their Q4 launch target, it had better be because they have been working on the ultimate cow model.

Kurtis
02-03-2006, 03:22 PM
lwaddict and Thor Simpson,

I think you both need to check out the new challenge on SpinQuad.
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10733

kfiram
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Any word on modeling tools in Layout?

Kurtis
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
An updated, comprehensive feature list for LightWave v9 is being created, and will be posted online soon.

lwaddict
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Yep, that cow had best be one utter'ly awesome cow this round. :hey:

lwaddict
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
HOLY COW...the Pimp My Cow contest RULES!!! Ha Ha!

I'm definitley in.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-03-2006, 04:09 PM

This a test. The little woman threw a fit last night because I browsed the Newtek boards before going to bed. I don't even want to think what she'd throw if I download Lightwave on V day. ****.

KillMe
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
spend time with wife while you wait for things to render :thumbsup:

Ztreem
02-03-2006, 04:41 PM

But what do you do if LW 9 renders so fast that you don't have to wait that long for the renders to finish? :D

Thor Simpson
02-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Thank heavens render times have been improved. :thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
"Yep, that cow had best be one utter'ly awesome cow this round."

lwaddict,

Don't you mean "udderly"?

Ouch!!!!

prospector
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
they are keeping the old cow and 'milking' it for all it's worth :D
and I'll 'steak' my reputation on it
so while we all sit around and chew our cuds waiting for 9
we can thank the LW gods for keeping it in
or we'd all be going

WHERE'S THE BEEF !!!

EmperorPete
02-03-2006, 07:28 PM
My fiancee doesn't come to the UK permanenetly until April. I intend call her on Valentine's Day for a couple of hours, and spend the rest of the day playing with LW9 ;)

DiedonD
02-04-2006, 02:43 AM

I would do both if I were you :) . let it download and spent time with wife. Me, Im only going to spent time with my wife cause I dont dare get into LW9 beta yet. Its actually great for me that LW9 will be released sometimes further away in the future. Cause by that time I'll at least be somewhere in LW8.5. After leaving the instructions manual for beeing too dry, I started reading the tutorial for LW7. Thats a 7, having passed that I'll have to go through the manual 8 again, and then see what the heck are the NewTek guys, and everyone, telling me that its so much better then the precvious, and by this time start learning about LW9. I wonder if I ever will stop learning and only do my projects? Or is it always going to be a paralelary developing issue.

zapper1998
02-04-2006, 05:46 AM
I don't know it all sounds so complicated ???????

:twak:

Signal to Noise
02-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Will the beta process contain some sort of punch-list so we can systematically test for bugs and such? Or will it be an unorganized chaotic free-for-all like past betas?

Normally, when I participate in software betas we have a mile-long list of things to look for which can still yield different results depending on computer system set up. It tends to go more quickly and orderly if there is a work sheet to follow. The "fix list" that usually accompanies the update/upgrade is not good enough for testing. Something more in depth to follow would be good. For example, with the 8.5 release the beta forums here had bugs listed all over the map. Some were legitimate while most were user error. And since "testers" were doing their own thing I think a lot of stuff got missed during the open beta. And it seemd 8.5 still got released after minimal input from the beta crew.

Just a thought.

MrWyatt
02-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Will the beta process contain some sort of punch-list so we can systematically test for bugs and such? Or will it be an unorganized chaotic free-for-all like past betas?

Normally, when I participate in software betas we have a mile-long list of things to look for which can still yield different results depending on computer system set up. It tends to go more quickly and orderly if there is a work sheet to follow. The "fix list" that usually accompanies the update/upgrade is not good enough for testing. Something more in depth to follow would be good. For example, with the 8.5 release the beta forums here had bugs listed all over the map. Some were legitimate while most were user error. And since "testers" were doing their own thing I think a lot of stuff got missed during the open beta. And it seemd 8.5 still got released after minimal input from the beta crew.

Just a thought.

was there an open beta for 8.5? I don't think so. The bug workshop was after the release of 8.5 and everyone who had downloaded it could add to it.

Signal to Noise
02-04-2006, 10:01 AM
was there an open beta for 8.5? I don't think so. The bug workshop was after the release of 8.5 and everyone who had downloaded it could add to it.

To be honest, I don't remember. There definitely was a beta prior to public release for one of the 8.x's. Anyway, the point is it would be nice if it was a more constructive open beta. I guess with the useage of the word "open" it negates that idea, tho'. ;)

LMUSIC
02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Signal to Noise is spot on with this one!

Dodgy
02-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, a lot of the 'why is this broken' messages on here have been user error (mine included!) so we'll have to watch for them!

aidyn66
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I must be the only confused one here, but I can't seem to find the links to the 9.0 beta signups. The email I got said I would see the links on the Newtek page, but I can't find it anywhere at all...could someone please provide me with directions? Thanks in advance.

Ztreem
02-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm in Europe so I don't now if it's the same in the US, but here the open beta starts first the 14th. so I think you may have to wait until the 14th before you can see any links.

Thor Simpson
02-04-2006, 06:56 PM
The email I got said I would see the links on the Newtek page, but I can't find it anywhere at all...
Actually, the email said you "will" see the links there (future tense). ;)

We have to wait until the 14th. I agree that it wasn't entirely clear however, and outlining the process ahead of time confused me a little. No big deal. We will probably recieve another email once it's ready.

hrgiger
02-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I never really bought into Valentines day before now....I always thought of it as a completely useless "Hallmark Holiday". Good to see I have something to look forward to this year....

SCS5
02-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Any word on weather the modeling tools in layout :question: will be animatable? :question:

lwaddict
02-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Now THAT'd be SWEET!

spigolo
02-05-2006, 12:46 PM
They must be animatable, otherways they aren't so useful, I hope tha NT planned in version 9 a Global Autokey system, this is almost necessary.

aidyn66
02-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Actually, the email said you "will" see the links there (future tense). ;)

We have to wait until the 14th. I agree that it wasn't entirely clear however, and outlining the process ahead of time confused me a little. No big deal. We will probably recieve another email once it's ready.

Ah, awesome. That explains a lot. :D Silly future-tense without regard to degree of future, heh heh. Thanks for the help!

hrgiger
02-05-2006, 03:36 PM
They must be animatable, otherways they aren't so useful, I hope tha NT planned in version 9 a Global Autokey system, this is almost necessary.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just because they moved part of the modeler core into Layout doesn't necessarily mean that any of those modeling operations will be animatable. I would hope so, but I'm not counting on it yet.

SCS5
02-05-2006, 07:16 PM
I startd a thread a while back (months before we heard anything about LW9)called "Please add modeling tools to Layout" I'm hopping Newtek took some of what was in that thread to heart in this LW9 release!! .....Make thos Model Tools Animate!!

Thor Simpson
02-05-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Modelling tools will not be available in the 9.0 release, as outlined in my previous thread about the NewTek Live show. But who knows. We'll know in 9 days.

lw3d23
02-06-2006, 12:20 AM
The post "Lightwave v9 Open Beta Details" from Kurtis mentions all important features: APS, openGL, nodal, CCSubD.,etc but nothing about modelling tools in layout , it is quiet weird as modelling tools in layout is one of significant changes.

LightWave v9 is just the first in a series of updates to LightWave that will be available throughout the 9 cycle. We recognize that there are additional components of the software that deserve our attention and those changes will be forthcoming quickly. LightWave v9 provides the stable foundation that we need to build a powerful new 3D system.

I think modelling tools in layout is one of those additional components. So I don't think we will see it in LW9, but we may see it in 9.5 or any point release in future.

stone
02-06-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Modelling tools will not be available in the 9.0 release, as outlined in my previous thread about the NewTek Live show. But who knows. We'll know in 9 days.

from that thread- It's worth pointing out that the menu configs are never finalised until the end of development to ensure that there are no significant changes to come in the program itself. That was the main reason that Thor didn't see a "Modelling Tools" tab in Layout...

i assume that means the tools was there, just not showing.

/stone

Thor Simpson
02-06-2006, 08:09 AM
from that thread- It's worth pointing out that the menu configs are never finalised until the end of development to ensure that there are no significant changes to come in the program itself. That was the main reason that Thor didn't see a "Modelling Tools" tab in Layout...

i assume that means the tools was there, just not showing.

/stone
No, the guy demoing it flat out told me "There are no modelling tools in my beta version and they will not be in the 9.0 release either, more of a 9.x release." Take it for what it's worth. Myself, I can live without them.