PDA

View Full Version : hand torch like light

Meerah
02-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Hello
Can anyone tell me how to sharpen or highlight edges of a spotlight ? Some shader or do I have to play with gradients in surface settings of the spotted object ? I would like to give that logo a look like being spotted by a hand torch...bright and sharp at the edges and soft and falling off in the center..
Thanks in advance

Captain Obvious
02-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I would recomend that you use two spotlights to produce that result. For example, one with a 10 degree angle and a 10 degree soft angle, and one with a 10 degree angle and a 1 degree soft angle. Or something such. That will produce a hot spot in the middle, combined with a sharp falloff at the perimiter of the cone.

Meerah
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I tried that trick with spotlights but did not reach what I expected..If there would be possible some blending of spotlights or whatever..
Is there a way to achieve that effect by playing with surface settings of an object .. the lights might not have so many possibilities as I might had expected
??
What do you mean by sharp falloff at the perimeter of the cone ?

Thanx so far

spec24
02-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I would recomend that you use two spotlights to produce that result. For example, one with a 10 degree angle and a 10 degree soft angle, and one with a 10 degree angle and a 1 degree soft angle. Or something such. That will produce a hot spot in the middle, combined with a sharp falloff at the perimiter of the cone.

he wants the falloff in the center. Try using the 2 spotlight trick with the spotlight in the middle having a negative value to subtract light from the center. You will have to play with the cone angles to get just the look you want.

Don't forget you can use a bitmap image that your spotlight projects thru to create this type of effect too. Actually might be a better idea.

Captain Obvious
02-04-2006, 04:10 AM
By setting up a bunch of spot lights with different angles and different smooth angles, some with positive values and some with negative values, you can get really complex cones. If you use shadow mapped shadows, you can also adjust the map softness to get shadows with varying levels of softness.

It's nifty. ;)