PDA

View Full Version : I get to see L9 today (hopefully). Anything you want me to ask?

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm going to the NewTek Live thing here in Seattle this afternoon. I think L9 should be there in its current state (?).

I will not ask when the beta will be ready and I will not ask about a release date and, lastly, I will not ask about demo videos being ready. But anything else you would like me to find out? Keep in mind these aren't the developers that will be there or anything.

Obviously topics that have been addressed by NewTek staff here would be a waste of time. But if you could be there yourself, is there something you would want to ask?

I can't make any promises but I'm open to suggestions.

KillMe
02-02-2006, 09:29 AM
wanna see isolines being used instead of teh cage with teh catmull clark sds

Chris S. (Fez)
02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Please ask about openGL/subd performance improvements in Layout.

I would also like to know if we can grab points/edges/polygons directly in Layout and manipulate them.

lw3d23
02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
a rurmor that LW9 will include SSS, is it true?

Nemoid
02-02-2006, 10:28 AM
what modelling functions in layout so far, weigh maps in layout,
rigging tools, possible enhancements to rigging tools(bone tools)
and.. what about the core rewriting?
what about opened skd
-new subpatch algorithm.
-new documentation

and thanx in advance. :lwicon: :)

Scott_Blinn
02-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Small one:

I am curious if Rounder will work in the new edge mode?

evenflcw
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd like to know if there are any changes done or coming to the motion and displacement architectures under the LW9.x. In other words, I'm not asking about if there's any particular feature available. Instead I like to know if will be able to utilize what we already got in a more flexible manner. For example, mixing fk, ik and multiple motion modifiers aswell as stacking different displacement plugins ontop of eachother without anything overriding something else. Probably not making much sense... :)

EDIT: Oh yeah! I'd like to know if we can select multiple item types at the same time. Say have a camera and a light selected at the same time, or have bones of different items selected at the same time. Also to do with selection, will there be smart highlighting (points/edges/polygons/items highlight as the cursor passes over them) in either Modeler or Layout?

Thanks for asking! Good luck and have fun! :)

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
okay guys... I'm heading out now. I'll report back tonight with my thoughts on the presentation.

geothefaust
02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Cool! I was hoping to go to the one here in Portland, but alas I can not! Busy busy...

Can't wait to hear what you have to say. :)

Earl
02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Cool! I was hoping to go to the one here in Portland, but alas I can not! Busy busy...

Can't wait to hear what you have to say. :)
Yeah same here. I had signed up for Portland's but had to cancel due to work. Oh well. I can wait for the beta. ;)

gaushell
02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Anti aliasing improvements
GI improvements

Anything that helps the renderings/animations look better. I'm sick of the swimming pixels!

Thanks

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, not a whole lot to report. The presentation was (as expected) geared towards VT users and Tricaster, with only a brief mention of LW9 during the presentation, but he was happy to show it off to me personally after the fact.

There wasn't much to learn that I haven't discovered online so far, and he only had a few hours of 9 under his belt, so we couldn't get too deep. I appreciate the effort and the brief glimpse he was able to give. We'll all have our hands on the beta soon any way, so I didn't want to be much of a pain.

Most impressive were the workflow improvements that have been added, and I loved the nodal editing of surfaces.

As far as the questions you guys had, I can only answer a couple, and it's not what you want to hear. No news about the core or rendering improvements.

Can you select objects and lights and/or camera at the same time? Nope. We all know the workaround for this but it seems like such a simple thing to add... the ability to create named groups of objects was nice though, and groups of lights, etc... but as of this version you could not group items of different types.

What modeler tools are available in Lightwave and how extensive are they? Drumroll... none. Not in the build that was present, and (I was told, but cannot say with certainty) they will not even be in the 9.0 release. More of a 9.x feature down the road. Hmmph. I guess we'll know more about this when the final feature list is posted and the beta program is in swing.

Open GL improvements? There will be some good procedural display of textures and full Open GL 2 support. But I wasn't able to see anything on that.

So... I didn't get a whole lot out of it, but it was good to see what NewTek is up to these days any way since I only check up on LW but have a history with the Toaster/Flyer and was curious.

And there you have it. This was probably a great event for Tricaster folks, but as a Lightwaver, not a whole lot to see that I haven't already learned online. A bit disapointing I suppose.

I don't know how old his beta build was, but it was most likely a little dated.

monovich
02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
wow. no modeler tools in layout is going to upset some people if that turns out in the release. I was/am looking forward to those capabilites.

thanks for the effort.

-s

Pavlov
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
No news about the core or rendering improvements.

You mean that "you did not hear anything about", i hope.

What modeler tools are available in Lightwave and how extensive are they? Drumroll... none. Not in the build that was present, and (I was told, but cannot say with certainty) they will not even be in the 9.0 release. More of a 9.x feature down the road. Hmmph.

uhmmmmmm.
From what you say, i wonder how can we guess a rewrite was done by now.
Let's wait for this beta to comment further, i drowned in a "low-expectations mood" for some time now.
BTW i hope to be wrong and get surprised...

Paolo

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
You mean that "you did not hear anything about", i hope.
Right. These are obviously going to be in there since it's not something that would be added during beta testing... if it's been rewritten from the ground up, obviously we will be working with the new core. I just didn't hear any details or have the opportunity to do any benchmark testing, so nothing to report.

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
wow. no modeler tools in layout is going to upset some people if that turns out in the release. I was/am looking forward to those capabilites.

thanks for the effort.

-s
Right. Well, that was one of the things I specifically asked to see, and it wasn't in his version. Now, please be aware that he is not in direct touch with the development team and his specialty is really promoting the Video Editing / Switching tools (though he is a longtime Lightwave user). So... take it for what it's worth. But he did specifically state that it would not be in the 9.0 release and would come out in a 9.x version. We will know soon enough when we have our hands on the latest beta (at least, those of us who qualify for the beta will). That's obviously a feature that they would need thoroughly tested, so I would say it would have to be in the beta versions or it will not make the 9.0 release. I'm looking forward to the revised feature list that we should be seeing soon. (this week?)

KillMe
02-02-2006, 08:24 PM
modeling tools in layout were one of the big things most people are expecting from 9 if its not there there are going to be alot of unhappy people

next you'll tell us were not getting edges in modeler =/

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
modeling tools in layout were one of the big things most people are expecting from 9 if its not there there are going to be alot of unhappy people

next you'll tell us were not getting edges in modeler =/
Now... Edges I DID see! (and those are fantastic).

I also saw... wait for it... new features with Null objects!!! :D

Honestly... the nodal surface editor and surface baking were the best things I saw, and the new core, render speeds, and open GL updates are what I am most looking forward to with 9.

Earl
02-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Now... Edges I DID see! (and those are fantastic).

I also saw... wait for it... new features with Null objects!!! :D

Honestly... the nodal surface editor and surface baking were the best things I saw, and the new core, render speeds, and open GL updates are what I am most looking forward to with 9.
Although all of those sound great, I will be disappointed if modeling tools are not available in v9.0. I want to see NewTek making significant progress in a new and innovative direction to LightWave's workflow - and I think this is must first step.

However I'll wait until the beta and final 9.0 feature list before being disappointed.

Stooch
02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
makes sense that they made LWCAD available.

Weepul
02-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Honestly... the nodal surface editor and surface baking were the best things I sawWhat can you tell us about the nodal surface editor? I want the whole scoop! :D

Wickster
02-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Although all of those sound great, I will be disappointed if modeling tools are not available in v9.0. I want to see NewTek making significant progress in a new and innovative direction to LightWave's workflow - and I think this is must first step.

However I'll wait until the beta and final 9.0 feature list before being disappointed.
Maybe this is the reason fot he delay? I don't know...Just speculating.

But yeah it would really suck if the modeling tools are not in Layout at the time of release...I'd hate to wait another half a year for a .X release. :(

But then again, i agree with the majority, let's not judge 9 until its actually out.

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
What can you tell us about the nodal surface editor? I want the whole scoop! :D
Basically, it's a nice drag and drop interface that lets you link color and surface properties from one surface to another... so you can easily take a bump map from one surface and apply it to another, or link the colors of many surfaces so that you only need to change that color in one place and the rest update along with it. You could choose to link an entire surface, or just a specific element- the specularity, bump map, color map.... whatever you want. All in a very clean linking diagram (nodal) interface. This feature alone is going to save me a ton of time.

Say you have several parts of an object that are all 20% specular, but different colors. If you want to change that specularity, rather than changing each of those surfaces, the specularity of them could be linked and you would only have to change one. Same for transparency, etc.

That was my understanding of it any way... I'm sure there is more to it than I was able to see in the 30 seconds it was up.

And yes... I'm certainly not judging anything about 9 before I see the latest beta. I have a feeling the version I saw was a bit dated, but I would have been happy with it as long as the core improvements and open GL improvements are there and it's stable. Using dual monitors makes the seperate modeler and layout less of an issue to me, but I would still like to see them integrated at some point. Still, there will be so much more. I'm pretty excited to see where it is at.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Maybe this is the reason fot he delay? I don't know...Just speculating.

But yeah it would really suck if the modeling tools are not in Layout at the time of release...I'd hate to wait another half a year for a .X release. :(

But then again, i agree with the majority, let's not judge 9 until its actually out.

I agree we should wait for 9 before passing judgement, but WTF? No modeling tools in Layout! I know the 9 feature list was "subject to change without notice" but, if this is true, there are going to be quite a few dissapointed customers.

Oh well, we should hopefully be hearing more about the Beta today.

Nemoid
02-02-2006, 11:43 PM
No modelling tools in Layout 9.0 ? hmmmm....
i really do hope that one was a dated beta or something.
its better to wait till 9.0 is out to judge it properly.

It seems to me that Lw developing is quite slow in its progress, tho...

Thor Simpson
02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, that was a massive new feature list that was originally posted. We'll see how the revised list looks. I don't think there's any doubt that a lot has been done, especially given the core restructuring.

Beta beta beta... Can't wait to see what's in there.

lw3d23
02-02-2006, 11:59 PM
if no modelling tool in layout? then why they overestimate that 9 could be released in q4? It is q1 2006 now.
of course, let's wait and see, Chuck said we will see an anouncement about 9 at the ned of this week, hope it is not another "coming soon".

lesterfoster
02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
It seems to me that Lw developing is quite slow in its progress, tho...

Perhaps they are just quite secretive, I hope.

How much longer do I have before I loose out on the upgrade deals that newtek is offering for the pre order people. I want to upgrade right now. Not for V9 of lightwave, and not for the Vue package, as good as that program is. But I want to upgrade right now to take advantage of the lwCAD give a way. But I am short on extra cash at the moment. :rock: :cry:

digefxgrp
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Small one:

I am curious if Rounder will work in the new edge mode?

I've tried both Rounder and Edge Bevel with edges and both worked fine.

Craig Paup
DEG

digefxgrp
02-03-2006, 01:26 AM
What can you tell us about the nodal surface editor? I want the whole scoop!
Weepul: If you want to get a taste of the surface nodal editor then check out TB's Shader Tree plugin at http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html

LW9's is very similar to this (minus a few things) but is a whole lot faster since it's now tied into the render engine.

lw3d23
02-03-2006, 01:29 AM
digefxgrp, do you know any new shader that will come with LW9? such as Lafortunate , or SSS.,etc

SaturnX
02-03-2006, 02:12 AM
What's this about no modeling tools in layout ?
I'd wait till something official is said on that score before everyone jumps to conclusions. The thing that worrys me about modeling in layout is... how the heck do you intergrate and access all those tools ?
i mean, cramming the tools into tabs... will be squishy.

Weepul
02-03-2006, 02:18 AM
That was my understanding of it any way... I'm sure there is more to it than I was able to see in the 30 seconds it was up.

Thanks for that. I was kinda hoping you'd have seen more than just that though, even though I didn't really expect it. ;)

Weepul: If you want to get a taste of the surface nodal editor then check out TB's Shader Tree plugin at http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html

LW9's is very similar to this (minus a few things) but is a whole lot faster since it's now tied into the render engine.

Well, that'd help if there was a Mac OS X version. :D Although I have checked out the website and certainly WISHED for a Mac version...

I'm mostly interested in what capabilities lie in the actual LW9 system beyond a streamlined version of what's possible in LW already. Ray controls without having to write a shader? SSS? A good selection of various BRDF models, which can also be used in reflection modes and radiosity illumination? And continuing from that, anisotropic raytraced reflections with UV control? Bumpmap/procedural blurring? Independent colors for diffuse, highlights, luminosity, and reflections? That's all speculation...and is the stuff I really want to know about. :D It's been rumored that it is an integrated version of "Nodal" and we've all certainly been teased quite a bit about how much more is possible in "Nodal"...

Making image maps bites, but otherwise I'm a surfacing geek. ;)

BeeVee
02-03-2006, 02:30 AM
It's worth pointing out that the menu configs are never finalised until the end of development to ensure that there are no significant changes to come in the program itself. That was the main reason that Thor didn't see a "Modelling Tools" tab in Layout...

B

Pavlov
02-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Imho Newtek should not put 9 on the market without Layout modeling tools.
It's one of the major steps people is waiting for since 6.0, and now that it's been announced, not putting these into would be killer for LW.
If 9 is still distant to be fully up to announced feat list (massive and pleasant, yes, but just a starting point to be up to market and other tools), i think they have better to keep it under cover for some time, and get out only when done.
Maybe a poll could help NT to feel what users thinks. I'm for delaying, i repeat that putting out LW 9 without Layout modeling would cause a rant explosion in the already-nervous userbase, with not so good commercial implications.
It's done when it's *fully* done, otherwise it would be a "6.0 - like" release.

Paolo Zambrini

EDIT: the mayor point for users which ask for LW9 to be out *now*, is they paid their upgrade time ago so they want something. I hope they will understand that waiting still some time could end in a better product, while if they all asks for an immediate release NT will be somehow forced to put out a non ready tool, which is the worst thing for all.
LW-cad was not a casual gift, i feel.
BTW i paid upgrade too.

SaturnX
02-03-2006, 03:27 AM
It's worth pointing out that the menu configs are never finalised until the end of development to ensure that there are no significant changes to come in the program itself. That was the main reason that Thor didn't see a "Modelling Tools" tab in Layout...

B

Cool. :)

trick
02-03-2006, 03:28 AM
LW9 should be released Q4 2005 ? I can understand they missed that. But missing a large feature like modeling in Layout I can NOT !! Personally I couldn't care less about this, but if this process is going the same way as Maxwell - only telling fairytales to get more users buy into a dream - I can only see this community fade into oblivion. I surely hope there will be an official reaction VERY soon :goodluck: (I'm learning more and more each day, sad it's not in Lightwave :()

SplineGod
02-03-2006, 03:31 AM
I saw some modeling tools working in layout weeks ago at the LA Users group. Jay Roth was also present answering questions. He was quite open and honest. It was indicated that every modeling function may not be in layout for the initial release. He also indicated that their goal is to have quicker point releases to get various things integrated.
From what I could see then the process of getting modeler into layout was well underway.
Keep in mind that they are not only adding tons of new features but improving the core, busting open the SDK and integrating these new features as fast as they can. Its obviously a lot of work.
As far as nodal goes I got to play with it before Newtek aquired it. Even as a plugin it was VERY powerful. I would go so far as to say much more powerful then other other node based shader system for LW including Sabre, TBs and a couple of others I cant remember. Its extremely poweful and deep. I would imagine that as they integrate into LW that its probably going to be even better.
I also got to see the edges which worked fine. I didnt see any edge weighting at that time but again that was weeks ago.
If what I saw has progressed since that time I think Ill be happy with whats in LW9 and as long as Newtek continues to give us decent point updates and lets us know from time to time where theyre headed. :)

Pavlov
02-03-2006, 03:41 AM
As far as nodal goes I got to play with it before Newtek aquired it. Even as a plugin it was VERY powerful.

a question: if we load in 9 our current materials, will they show up both in "standard" layering mode and in "Nodal" mode ?
Is there transparency between these systems, so i can start a material in Layer mode and then refine it in Nodal mode, or does a material "lives" only in the space it was done into ?

Paolo

SplineGod
02-03-2006, 03:50 AM
hmmm forgot to ask that one at the user group meeting. I do remember Jay saying (at that time) that both systems would be there. There was no comments that I can remember getting into the nuts and bolts of how they would or would not work together. :)

EmperorPete
02-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I can live with not having all the features in the initial release, as long as NT continue putting out point updates as frequently as they have been; I'd rather have a functioning version of LW9 and wait for other stuff to appear in updates than have it all crammed into the initial release and be buggy as it gets.

DiedonD
02-03-2006, 06:16 AM
I wonder if in LW9 it'll be possible to use Cybergloves and VR Glassess?

mattclary
02-03-2006, 06:31 AM
A little birdie told me that a matter replicator would be coming in a .x release. :thumbsup:

papou
02-03-2006, 06:42 AM
What a matter replicator?

TSpyrison
02-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I heard there was going to be transmogrifying functions added to Lightwave 9..

BeeVee
02-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Okay, mattclary? TSpyrison? I want to see you in my office immediately, to find out who's been squealing on the beta team?

B

lwaddict
02-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Did anyone get a peek at whether or not the polygonal opium mapper was included as promised?

SaturnX
02-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Ok wait... you guys ARE actually beta testing lightwave right ?

... and not some... new species... of magic mushroom ?

Nemoid
02-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I think Lw 9.0 will have that tools. maybe not all modelling tools in layout,and no edge support in layout, but it will have some. :)

But IMHO, Lw development should be faster.

hrgiger
02-03-2006, 08:39 AM
I heard there was going to be transmogrifying functions added to Lightwave 9..

Will we get to change objects into anything we want, or will it only do tigers and 6 year old precocious children?

hrgiger
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I can live with not having all the features in the initial release, as long as NT continue putting out point updates as frequently as they have been; I'd rather have a functioning version of LW9 and wait for other stuff to appear in updates than have it all crammed into the initial release and be buggy as it gets.

I'd have to agree. I'm all for the "give us what you got" approach. Add the currently buggy stuff later when it's tight n' stuff.

SaturnX
02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Maybe theres a better way...
But as far as intergration goes... will we get a model mode and layout (animation) mode, all within layout ?

I guess, alittle like xsi.

I just cant imagine how else you can cram so many modeling tools, into layout's tab menus...

badllarma
02-03-2006, 09:04 AM
A little birdie told me that a matter replicator would be coming in a .x release. :thumbsup:

Now that is something you could mention at a party :D

THEM "So what you working on at present?"

ME "Well after the resent release of Lightwave 9 the matter replicator has really come into it's own".

THEM "What the [email protected]*K's that ??????"

ME " It's far to complicated, you know I'm a 3D artist right?"

THEM " But I thought the computer does it all" (this is a usual line I here :bangwall: )

ME "It does now!" :D

Stooch
02-03-2006, 10:18 AM
LOL, actually you dont even need a computer with v9

jeremyhardin
02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
According the the LA usergroup meeting that Splinegod mentioned above...

Here's what I recall was said about modeling tools in 9 guys.

Since the modeling core has been made accessible to layout, you could model in Layout...but...

There are no modeling display and selection tools implemented in Layout. So how do you select a polygon to move it or bevel it? You can't in 9.0. That's why it's most likely slated to be in a 9.x release. The foundation is laid, it just has to be slowly implemented.

So in 9.0, if someone were to write a 3rd party plugin that allowed selection and manipulation of vertices, polygons, or egdes in layout, it would work. (That's why Vertex Paint is already functional in Layout. It has it's own viewport and selections).

So I suppose this is good and bad news for some. You won't be able to do it all in Layout just yet. But the stage is set for things to be run that way soon. And 3rd party devs could take advantage of it now.

Emmanuel
02-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I am not asking anyone to believe my crystal ball.
But I am very sure that when 9 is released You can do modeling in Layout.
Over at cgtalk's XSI forum people were already bashing LWs nodal shading system as beeing inferior to XSI by far, for certain.
No one of those has even SEEN anything about 9, so that was a bold statement.
If You check out the Beta details, they not only put in a nodal shader system, they also upgraded the materials/shading system like never before to allow us to exploit the nodal system the most efficiently.
Now, how could it be the add modelling tools to Layout without allowing us to model in Layout, eh ?
Even by now You can select points with the "Edittool", I guess selecting elemnts in Layout will be possible, because its necessary for modelling.
Except if the modeling si restricted to pointsets/weightmaps/parts created in modeler, which would contradict what's written on the preliminary feature list.

jeremyhardin
02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
...But I am very sure that when 9 is released You can do modeling in Layout.
Now, how could it be the add modelling tools to Layout without allowing us to model in Layout, eh ?
Even by now You can select points with the "Edittool", I guess selecting elemnts in Layout will be possible, because its necessary for modelling.
Except if the modeling si restricted to pointsets/weightmaps/parts created in modeler, which would contradict what's written on the preliminary feature list.
believe what you like. I'm just telling you what Jay Roth said at the meeting.

Pavlov
02-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Since the modeling core has been made accessible to layout, you could model in Layout...but...

There are no modeling display and selection tools implemented in Layout. So how do you select a polygon to move it or bevel it? You can't in 9.0. That's why it's most likely slated to be in a 9.x release. The foundation is laid, it just has to be slowly implemented.

So in 9.0, if someone were to write a 3rd party plugin that allowed selection and manipulation of vertices, polygons, or egdes in layout, it would work. (That's why Vertex Paint is already functional in Layout. It has it's own viewport and selections).

So I suppose this is good and bad news for some. You won't be able to do it all in Layout just yet. But the stage is set for things to be run that way soon. And 3rd party devs could take advantage of it now.

It's all down to a question: when ?
I guess they roughly know how long some things will take, so i hope NT will decide to be open/clear with users and give us a rough timeline for .x updates.

Paolo

Chris S. (Fez)
02-03-2006, 01:46 PM

That's cool but crappy at the same time. I was hoping 9 would allow us to tweak out corrective morphs in no time and manipulate geometry to fit projections etc. etc. etc....

lwaddict
02-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Might wanna visit the LW9 Beta info thread(s).

SaturnX
02-04-2006, 02:58 AM
If the goal is to have... a fully intergrated modeling system into layout...
Then should it not be best, to have say a switch... from modeler to layout... but within the one program environment ? (yes no hub)
And also a system were both modeler and layout are sharing the same openGL resources etc...

I mean, i dont want to see modeler go bye bye, when/if... 99% of lw's modeling tools are inserted into layout, in whatever form.
I like the modeler and layout way of doing things... yep... "keep em seperated." hehe ... but without the hub? ;)

man, but...

If there's a way to actually have a full modeler and a full layout... but fully working within the same software environment.. does that not make more sense ?
This way we still have the two seperate apps (maintaining their relevant GUIs) .. but sharing the same geometry/scene and openGL... and whatever else the software needs to operate.

It makes sense to me, to maintain modeler... but in a fully intergrated modeler/layout environment.

I don't know what NewTek mean, when they say we will have modeling tools in layout. Are we always going to be talking about a limited tool set?
And how will these tools actually intergrate?

Layout ... is already in need of a house cleaning session.
Long lists of shaders could be better catagorised, geometry deformers could be better intergrated into menus (item shape was intergrated into a null edit mode, so that's handy) SO FOLLOW THROUGH !! .. man.
I see lw being pushed too far too fast, without cleaning up whats already there.

anyway.. time will tell ..

:lwicon:

Emmanuel
02-04-2006, 07:15 AM
believe what you like. I'm just telling you what Jay Roth said at the meeting.

But he didn't mention the new shading types (blinn etc) either, right ?

jeremyhardin
02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
But he didn't mention the new shading types (blinn etc) either, right ?
it's slightly different to not mention something that will be there and to specifically say that something will not be entirely there right away, don't you think?

Its funny when everyone wants to know about something. Come up with an answer they don't like, and nope. They just won't believe it's true.

So yeah. I don't work for Newtek. I could have misunderstood. It was just one meeting. And plans could have changed since then. So there's plenty to comfort yourself in and hope for if you like. I was simply relaying information that was given to people who asked about it. Lesson learned.

Emmanuel
02-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi,

Jeremy, no need to be offended, I don't doubt what You reported, I just think that NT will stick to their feature list, nothing more. :beerchug:

animotion
02-04-2006, 10:43 AM
As long as we get accurate smart skining that functions the way it should in layout instead of what we have available now will make this animator very happy. The hacks that are available do not return 100% accuracy except for jumping from modeler to layout.

What you see now is what you will get when the model is loaded later on smart skining in layout is very important here.

bip3d :cool:

Wickster
02-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Thor, Did they give out prizes You know 1 Video Toaster, TriCaster, Lightwave, etc. How about some Shwags (T-Shirt, Mousepad, back-of-house-wall-sized poster, etc.)?

Thor Simpson
02-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey Thor, Did they give out prizes You know 1 Video Toaster, TriCaster, Lightwave, etc. How about some Shwags (T-Shirt, Mousepad, back-of-house-wall-sized poster, etc.)?
No prizes that I saw. There were event discounts on products, but nothing given away unless it was before I got there.

There were Lightwave demo CD's on hand, and brochures for the various products. TriCaster, VT4 and Lightwave 8. They were also featuring a Lightwave plugin set for flying logo templates, aimed at the video editor who doesn't want to learn Lightwave. That they were giving away if you bought a VT4 I think. Looked cool, and would be great for people whose business it would suit, but not for me.

But no grand giveaways. I was hoping for a t-shirt or something.

badllarma
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
No prizes that I saw. There were event discounts on products, but nothing given away unless it was before I got there.

There were Lightwave demo CD's on hand, and brochures for the various products. TriCaster, VT4 and Lightwave 8. They were also featuring a Lightwave plugin set for flying logo templates, aimed at the video editor who doesn't want to learn Lightwave. That they were giving away if you bought a VT4 I think. Looked cool, and would be great for people whose business it would suit, but not for me.

But no grand giveaways. I was hoping for a t-shirt or something.

No doubt the new FX Monkey in VT 4.6 :)