PDA

View Full Version : Ever been given credit for your movie work?

Gaze
02-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Anyone here had their name appear on a movie credits list (the one that rolls up the screen at the very end of the movie)? Always thought that would be pretty cool :D

If so, what movie and what was your role?

DMarkwick
02-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Yep, I did some effects for a low-budget film called SoulSearcher. Most of the other effects were done practically using puppetry or models, so I naturally feel that mine came out the best :)

It was all handheld footage shot at night, and it was a pig to matchmove etc, but I reckon I did pretty well. The IMB entry says the effects are sometimes laughable, but they're not referring to mine ;) :D

They also do not list my name, but the film does list me in the credits.

EmperorPete
02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I haven't done any movie work, but I did get my name in the credits for a TV show; it was called Doomwatch and it aired on Channel 5 in the UK a few years ago. I was working with Mattes And Miniatures, at Bray Studios (near Pinewood).
I produced some wireframe simulations for a "black hole generator". I thought they were just going to be shown briefly on a monitor or something; imagine the look on my face when I saw the show, and saw my graphics on a huge screen behind the main cast while they were all panicking about the end of the world being nigh...!

Bytehawk
02-02-2006, 08:44 AM
that is my dream, seeing my name crawl up that big screen.

at the moment I only got a credit as an actor, a recurring guest star on a soap

iaef
02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow! That is also a dream of mine... It would be nice to say to my children: "Hey! Look don't blink for this are the best 4 seconds on the movie." ;)

Elmar Moelzer
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Just saw my name in the visual effects- credits for the Austrian indy- movie "Jenseits" on Friday. We did 21 effects shots showing... well... noone less than the devil in person.
My job was supervizing the production of those shots, as well as the modeling, surfacing and some of the animation of the devil.
CU
Elmar

Paul_Boland
02-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Do our own movies count ;) ?

JCG
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Do our own movies count ;) ?They count double!
If they really scroll up a big silver screen, you can multiply x10

Whelkn
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I have worked on 2 features so far and start on my third next week. The first is called End of the spear its in theaters now and the other is Minotaur
http://www.scifi.com/minotaur/

lesford
02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
I've never much cared about the screen credit or the T-shirt as long as I got the paycheck. I do like it when they give me the DVD set of the last season though.

Les

jeremyhardin
02-02-2006, 01:05 PM
I have worked on 2 features so far and start on my third next week. The first is called End of the spear its in theaters now and the other is Minotaur
http://www.scifi.com/minotaur/
just saw End of the spear. What did you do for it?

TheDynamo
02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I had a vindictive manager remove my names from a television show that I created all the graphics for after I left for greener (and frankly, better) pastures. Last I heard, he was still working at the station being miserably underpaid and overworked. :)

-Dyn

Whelkn
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
just saw End of the spear. What did you do for it?

I did some of the compositing. Stuff with the air plane also did alot of roto of the old man--turned him a shade of yellow. I havent seen it yet though is it any good?

Lightwolf
02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, o.k., here is my list (mind you, this is over the past 6 years or so, I rarely have the chance to work for the big screen):

Shorts:
Ring of Fire - 3D, software r&d, pipeline td, whatever... :D
The Raft - pipeline td and software r&d (LW, motion control and a digital still camera with a raw import for DF - years before the Corpse's Bride :D )
"Der letzte Tag" (only shown in Germany afaik at some festivals) - DF work, rotoscoping & conforming

Motion Pictures:
Bye Bye Blackbird - lead 3D, some 2D
Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist (alas not named in the credits, I don't think any of the artists are actually). - some 2D and a little 3D (2 scenes)

...and hopefully one movie coming up this year...

Cheers,
Mike - who normally does industrial viz or advertising for a living

gumfx
02-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I have worked on 2 movies:

Kung-Fu Hustle: I did 3 shots, 2 of 3 shots I worked with my colleagues.

Re-cycle: It is a ghost story and will be released this summer. Trailer here (http://www.re-cyclethemovie.com/trailer1.html)
I did 9 shots, but I don't think my name will appear on this movie credits list. ;D

meatycheesyboy
02-02-2006, 02:49 PM
I haven't but I do have my name in the manual of a worldwide distributed video game from years ago. Does that count?

BTW, the game was Freddi Fish 5 by Humongous Entertainment

Lamont
02-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, not my name, but the name of the art director appeard in Infested The movie (B-Flick).

lwaddict
02-02-2006, 03:19 PM
"The Ancient"...
FX Artist.
They had a scene where an axe was supposed to be thrown but there was no ax. I CGI'd the entire action shot, placing the tomohawk into the girl's hand while she swung and threw it at the badguy. Then I inserted it into the shot of it slamming into his chest.

Also, a comet shot, a vr campfire shot, and some other stuff.

I never got to see the footage until it was time to add the effects.

"Dead Things"... (in post)
FX Artist, Editor, Actor.
Too much to mention at this point.

"Dust to Dust"... (in production)
Visual Effect Director, Actor, FX Artist.
More to come as this is in production.

Jakkar
02-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Yep...
The Legend of Zorro
Racing Stripes
The Aviator
Something the Lord Made (HBO)
Van Helsing
Paycheck
Peter Pan
Scary Movie 3
Seabiscuit
League of Extraodinary Gentlemen
Pirates of the Carribean
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

and some other TV projects.
All credited, and all using LightWave!!!

NewTek needs to advertise LW's involvement in these movies more and not let Max and Maya hog all the credit for big screen accomplishments...

jeremyhardin
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I did some of the compositing. Stuff with the air plane also did alot of roto of the old man--turned him a shade of yellow. I havent seen it yet though is it any good?
jer, great compositing reel on your page.

as to End of the Spear, it turned out pretty good. i felt the edit could have told the story a tad better (no real climax perse), but visually and technically i thought it was good. and it interesting was all-around.

i'm pretty sure i'll be credited in Barnyard. we'll see when it comes out i guess.

Cageman
02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Got my name at the end AND the beginning of Molly in The World (Swedish title is Molly i Världen). It's an independent movie, very, very low budget. :)

MrWyatt
02-03-2006, 01:12 AM
A bunch of credits in Student films, live action and animated, those range from production design to character modeling, rigging and animation up to vfx. But again studentfilms, most of which noone will know of.

animated:
"X" from raphael wahl, I did the character setup and other things.
"Die Summe Aller Dinge" from Sabiene Schmidt, I did all modeling, character setup, and will also help lighting.
"Chameleon" (working title) my own short film which will hopefully be finished in the next 2 months.

live action:
"Hometown: Asbury Park" a 60 minute documentary I did in 2001-2003
"Kommt Alles Anders" from C.Steinau, where I did the Setdesign and built the sets.
"Evolution" (not the one you know) from Stefan A. Vilner, where I did the Setdesign and built the sets.

Proffessional Featurefilm credits will start in may this year, when "Urmel Aus Dem Eis" will hit the screen here in Germany, donīt know when it will be launched international. "Impy's Island" is the english title. Itīs a 90 minute all cg animated feature, and I was one of the lighting artists. I lit about 18 minutes of the film.

will be fun to see my name on the big screen and for the first time knowing that I actually got payed for that job.
:D

DiedonD
02-03-2006, 01:57 AM
A bunch of credits in Student films, live action and animated, those range from production design to character modeling, rigging and animation up to vfx. But again studentfilms, most of which noone will know of.

animated:
"X" from raphael wahl, I did the character setup and other things.
"Die Summe Aller Dinge" from Sabiene Schmidt, I did all modeling, character setup, and will also help lighting.
"Chameleon" (working title) my own short film which will hopefully be finished in the next 2 months.

:D

Youve done your own movies huh. Thats fascinating having to do everything on your own. Thats what I too want to do. But how did you release your work done. Deuc the tech support staff mentioned to me that it has to be licenced. Thats all he said. But to whom did you went for licencing, NewTek, some lawful licening agency that is different for each country, or to whom. And did you had to pay anything extra on that, licencing I mean.a

badllarma
02-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Yup

"Infestation" Live action
(may now have been aired on TV) and was show and Cannes 2005

"Catch a falling Star" 3D Animation

Jakkar thats a **** of an impressive list :)

MrWyatt
02-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Youve done your own movies huh. Thats fascinating having to do everything on your own. Thats what I too want to do. But how did you release your work done. Deuc the tech support staff mentioned to me that it has to be licenced. Thats all he said. But to whom did you went for licencing, NewTek, some lawful licening agency that is different for each country, or to whom. And did you had to pay anything extra on that, licencing I mean.a

Not all of those films are my own. In some I only did work for other students. And what do you mean by licensing. My own films are the only ones using Lightwave. The others where made with maya. The uni has a bunch of maya licenses and the students need no licensing for their films. they are nonprofit projects anyway so why would a student at uni, working on a nonprofit film pay any sort of license when using uni equipment? Don't really get your question I suppose. And as for my very own films (the ones I actually directed). I bought myself a commercial license of maya and Lightwave, as well as some other tools like the commercial adobe videosuite. So I really donīt need any sort of additional license for my films because I allready bought the commercial versions, so that I can even make money with what I do.

But if you have any insight in regulations that I'm not aware off, let me know.

Lee
02-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Jakkar thats a **** of an impressive list :)

Very impressive indeed. I wasnt aware Lightwave was used on any of those either. Very nice to hear :)

DiedonD
02-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Don't really get your question I suppose. And as for my very own films (the ones I actually directed). I bought myself a commercial license of maya and Lightwave, as well as some other tools like the commercial adobe videosuite. So I really donīt need any sort of additional license for my films because I allready bought the commercial versions, so that I can even make money with what I do.

But if you have any insight in regulations that I'm not aware off, let me know.

Being new to this myself, im not aware of aditional licencing that are required, I suppose, and if so you did answer part of my question. That having payed for a licence you can now profit from your work done. But where did you go and get the licences from? And is the licence country specific or it applies to international countries? Or If elaborate more, In my country If you want to publish a book the ministry should licence it. ANd then you can publish it in my country alone. So Im just thinking weather the same applies for selling done work in CD's to the market thats all.

Is it better understandable now Wyatt. Is that licencing all you need to release work to the market? And where did you get it?

MrWyatt
02-03-2006, 03:00 AM
As far as I know You would only need to license a fil if you are doing an adaption of any sort like a new version of Moby Dick or so, If the film is all original content up to the level of custom composed music done specially for your film, then no, you donīt need to pay licensing. but if you use a story that is not originally by you, and use music or soundbits that you took from a cd for example, you have to pay a lot of money to license those.

So again making a film using off the shelf stories, sounds and music is a NONO if you want to be sending the film out to festivals ore make money from it.
Making a film all on your own, including sound and music, might be harder and take longer, but you don't have to pay any licenses.

Oh, well. If you plan to have a decent soundmixing then you have to pay dolby licenses, but it is not too much, but other than that, I believe that's it.

DiedonD
02-03-2006, 03:09 AM
As far as I know You would only need to license a fil if you are doing an adaption of any sort like a new version of Moby Dick or so, If the film is all original content up to the level of custom composed music done specially for your film, then no, you donīt need to pay licensing. but if you use a story that is not originally by you, and use music or soundbits that you took from a cd for example, you have to pay a lot of money to license those.

So again making a film using off the shelf stories, sounds and music is a NONO if you want to be sending the film out to festivals ore make money from it.
Making a film all on your own, including sound and music, might be harder and take longer, but you don't have to pay any licenses.

Oh, well. If you plan to have a decent soundmixing then you have to pay dolby licenses, but it is not too much, but other than that, I believe that's it.

My intent was to go all the way using originality. Of course I'll have people to spoke words (actors) and musicians of my own do music for me, and I do indeed need LW to make the whole thing and maybe use Adobe Premiere to put things together. But you say I dont need any licence to release that to the makret right???????????

MrWyatt
02-03-2006, 03:33 AM
But you say I dont need any licence to release that to the makret right???????????

Look, I don't know in what country you live so I really cannot say. All I know is where I live (Germany that is) I donīt need any license that I know of to release a film I did. Why should I? Wouldn't that be the most annoying thing and stop people from creating content, if you would actually need to pay a license to be allowed to create something of your own? I think at least in a democracy no government would actually do that. But maybe I missunderstand the way you use the word license. For me there are software licenses, good, there are music licenses, also good, there are also dolby licenses, not good but never mind, But to the finished product, meaning the film itself, I don't need any licenses at all, because as the producer of the film, I own it, Itīs mine. You might have to pay licenses to get to the finished product, but once it is finished, the only ones that have to pay for it is the people who want to see it or the ones who want to use it.
After having payed about 20.000 Euros until my current film is done, I will certainly not let anyone dictate me to pay for a license in order to be able to show the film to the public. If that was the case, not so many would do films at all.

Again I don't know how other Country's handle that, but if there is A country that does something like that, I am sure never to relocate there.

DiedonD
02-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Look, I don't know in what country you live so I really cannot say. All I know is where I live (Germany that is) I donīt need any license that I know of to release a film I did. Why should I? Wouldn't that be the most annoying thing and stop people from creating content, if you would actually need to pay a license to be allowed to create something of your own? I think at least in a democracy no government would actually do that. But maybe I missunderstand the way you use the word license. For me there are software licenses, good, there are music licenses, also good, there are also dolby licenses, not good but never mind, But to the finished product, meaning the film itself, I don't need any licenses at all, because as the producer of the film, I own it, Itīs mine. You might have to pay licenses to get to the finished product, but once it is finished, the only ones that have to pay for it is the people who want to see it or the ones who want to use it.
After having payed about 20.000 Euros until my current film is done, I will certainly not let anyone dictate me to pay for a license in order to be able to show the film to the public. If that was the case, not so many would do films at all.

Again I don't know how other Country's handle that, but if there is A country that does something like that, I am sure never to relocate there.

Thanks Wyatt, I appreciate your answers. Ive send you both a NewTek e-mail and an ordinary e-mail. Maybe we could take the matter there, and leave this thread go on its destined way.

Im from Kosova by the way, south to you in the balkans.

Bog
02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
The first time my name rolled on TV credits - an episode of UK's Channel 4 science program "Equinox", I was in tears. I couldn't believe it. I'd turned the thing I loved so much, 3D graphics, into an actual proper Job of Work. It really was a profound experience, and a life-changer. I haven't seen my own name in any movie credits (yet), but when I do, again, I'll be sobbing like a baby.

Then again, I was moist-eyed looking at www.newtek-europe.com this afternoon :) I just can't believe I'm so lucky as to have turned something so enjoyable into a healthy career. Frankly, I hope I never lose this sense of wonder.

Jakkar... wow. Total respect, sir, that's a brag-sheet and a half.

To be honest, my heartstrings twanged watching the Serenity credits - there are so many old-school name reaching right back to Babylon 5 in there. It's important that we be proud of these things, and it is right that we are there - we've done the work, let's show our names bright and proud.

siproductions
02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I didn't get on the main film credits but I am credited on the Short: "Aunt Fanny's Tour of Booty" on the "Robots" DVD. Also hope to get credited on The Barnyard movie.

Titus
02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Not yet, but is also cool when you read the credits and recognise the name of a friend.

intofx
02-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I was 1st AC on a feature called Chuck and Buck a few years back. Later, I shot and was credited for the Motion Control on the stills for Dogtown and Z-Boyz with a good friend of mine. Actually my hand is in the film as a result. :)

I've been shoting moco and doing graphics for almost 7 years for a production company in Hollywood - So, I've shot motion control for projects ranging from Behind the Music to History Channel documentaries.

As far as animation is concerned, I do a lot of title packages on the HBO First Look specials for Dreamworks (Chicken Run, Ring two, Wallace and Grommit, The Terminal, SharkTale, Surviving Christmas, etc...) And I do most of the graphics for in-house shows for the company I work for - Scariest Places on Earth, Iron Chef: Secrets of Kitchen Stadium, Full Throttle , History Channel docs (from The History of Comicbook Superheroes Unmasked to April 1865: the month that saved America). I get credit for most of my work, but not all - which is a bummer.

Ralph Keyser
02-10-2006, 09:03 AM
DMarkwick,

You can add yourself to the credits on IMDB. They will check with the entry owner or the credit roll, but it's easy to do. Assuming, of course, that you want to be associated with the final product :-)

Ralph

sjon
02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Yea, credits...mmmm. I've got a bunch of feature films to my credit (everything from Location Manager to First Assistant Director (and I am listed in the IMdb), but no credits with relation to Lightwave (yet). I did an animated open for a tv pilot, but it hasn't aired yet. First couple of times it's a hoot, then you find the paycheck is nicer than the credit. Someday I will have my name in the opening credits, but that day is not here (again, yet).

Jim_C
02-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Someday I will have my name in the opening credits,.

George Lucas had to pay a $25,000 fine to the Screen Actors Guild because he refused to show credits at the start of Star Wars. He wanted to get right to the story and show that now famous slanted crawl. wonder what the fine is now since he has continued the tradition.

And on topic, credits on TV, not film, and not for LW work since I can barely make text fly....

Nice thread...

Jim