PDA

View Full Version : What do you use LW for?

Dodgy
02-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Hiya,

I was just interested in finding out what kind of cross-section of users we have here, so if as many as possible could fill this out, that would be cool :)

The top ones are mainly for professionals (people who do it for a living) so I've put two more options for hobbyists, though you can pick as many choices as you feel suits you.

starbase1
02-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Well I put down hobbyist with some paid work, but I think your options are a bit narrow, as some of the stuff I have done includes:

1. Web site graphics, (LW is awesome for making animated GIF's, in much the same way that a piledriver is good for cracking nuts).

2. CD Cover and disk artwork.

3. Music videos.

4. Planetarium dome projections for bands.

5. Looping DVD menu animations.

Nick

DiedonD
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Optimus Prime its my honour to finally talk to you ( :) )

Id like to keep my options open, so all of the above are interesting, some less than others, but those might be required to do in my job one day (architecture), I do stuff as a hobby, but the things I intend to do are linear productions like in films and cartoons, which usually have effects on them, which if its a hit might apply to games too, then although I do it as a hobby I might get payed for it, so it pretty much covers everything you've put above to vote for.

I saw your sworn enemy, Galvatron, once in another forum Optimus ser, your orders...

I was a huge fan of old days transformers. I woder when they'll have a movie of it now that the tech to do it is out there. I saw an adv for a car that transformed just like they did. It seemed pretty real. Whichever the case, I think it should be done in LW.

Dodgy
02-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Well I put down hobbyist with some paid work, but I think your options are a bit narrow, as some of the stuff I have done includes:

1. Web site graphics, (LW is awesome for making animated GIF's, in much the same way that a piledriver is good for cracking nuts).

2. CD Cover and disk artwork.

3. Music videos.

4. Planetarium dome projections for bands.

5. Looping DVD menu animations.

Nick

While you could consider 2 and 3 advertising, kinda :), Mybe this should have been more of a thread, as it seems quite a varied topic... I just thought it would be interesting to see how many people are using LW in a particular way.

mapgraphs
02-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I would add the options "Illustration" (stills), "Training" (stills & animation) and a catch-all "Graphic Design" (interface design, software development, web site design etc.).

A "Semi-Professional Serious Enthusiast Practitioner" option might be useful too. :-)

Dodgy
02-02-2006, 08:28 AM
I would add the options "Illustration" (stills), "Training" (stills & animation) and a catch-all "Graphic Design" (interface design, software development, web site design etc.).

A "Semi-Professional Serious Enthusiast Practitioner" option might be useful too. :-)

Now that's just going crazy :)

mattclary
02-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Ummmmm... Someone needs to check the algorithm for generating those percentages. Off the cuff, I'd say they add up to around 130%

gristle
02-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Ummmmm... Someone needs to check the algorithm for generating those percentages. Off the cuff, I'd say they add up to around 130%

Yeah, maybe its based on an area light intensity.. up to 10000% anyone :)

robewil
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
The problem with polls like these is Lightwave is too broad a product to limit the choices like this. I use Lightwave in two different ways and neither of them is on this list.

Forensic animation.

Effects for event videography.

kopperdrake
02-02-2006, 04:36 PM
yep - you never know what's going to come through that door. Last 5 projects included:

Architectural Visualisation of a housing development

Photoreal test of hand-carved stone fireplaces for inclusion in a brochure

Little model of a bug for TV use (those whizzing round on 'My Family and Other Creatures' at Christmas).

Fluffy hedgehogs for my own Christmas card

3D technical illustration of a building development site

Oh, and number 6, a patch of dalmation skin A2 in size.

Yep - you just never know what's going to come your way :D I hear in a few weeks I'll be getting some electrical filaments to do...mmm...

Dunk

Axis3d
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know how many seats of Lightwave Newtek has sold compared to the other popular 3D programs?

DavidL
02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know how many seats of Lightwave Newtek has sold compared to the other popular 3D programs?

While you're asking about numbers, does anyone know how many people actually work at Newtek? 5, 50, 500?

coremi
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
i use it for broadcast and motion design, could not vote, and i thought Lightwave was used a lot in TV station for Logo idents and etc...

lesterfoster
02-03-2006, 12:15 AM
The problem with polls like these is Lightwave is too broad a product to limit the choices like this. I use Lightwave in two different ways and neither of them is on this list.

I don't see a category for what I use lightwave for. As a hobbyist, I use it to enhance my toaster productions, Mostly to do with live switching for pro wrestling and music stuff.

But at work. I use it to design tools for the manufacturing of aircraft parts. LightWAVE is a fantastic organic modeler. If the two CAD people at work could model organic objects with AutoCAD, than they would be making all of the tooling for any thing that is organic in shape. But they canít. Nor can they use lightwave. So I am happy to be using one of the best, if not the best organic modeling programs to design tools for the manufacturing of aircraft parts.

If I could vote for product development and rapid prototyping, I would. :)

EmperorPete
02-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I woder when they'll have a movie of it now that the tech to do it is out there.
Next May. It's being directed by Michael Bay.
I use Lightwave primarily for building giant robots; I get quite a bit of commission work in that area.

Lightwolf
02-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Well, the last number I heards (some years ago) was in the 70.000 ballpark ... while Max, biung number one, had more than 100.000.
I don't know if these numbers are correct, and if they have changes in the recent years.

Cheers,
Mike

Bog
02-03-2006, 02:12 PM
All of the Above and some more as well :)

Mr Rid
07-10-2007, 03:57 AM
mmm, 'Cheap Renderer for Maya' was not an option.

katsh
07-10-2007, 06:07 AM
for game-dev. baby!
low-poly when 3D,high-poly when 2D(geometry is not use).:)

Axis3d
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Film effects, commercial television work, mostly. Recently, I finished a 90 sec. opening for a film called "Teeth" (not released yet, but a huge hit at this year's Sundance film festival). The whole opening was Lightwave.

robewil
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
There's just too many possible uses of 3D work to limit it to a simple list and poll. I do forensics.

Andyjaggy
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
yep - you never know what's going to come through that door. Last 5 projects included:

Architectural Visualisation of a housing development

Photoreal test of hand-carved stone fireplaces for inclusion in a brochure

Little model of a bug for TV use (those whizzing round on 'My Family and Other Creatures' at Christmas).

Fluffy hedgehogs for my own Christmas card

3D technical illustration of a building development site

Oh, and number 6, a patch of dalmation skin A2 in size.

Yep - you just never know what's going to come your way :D I hear in a few weeks I'll be getting some electrical filaments to do...mmm...

Dunk

It's awesome to see all the different uses of 3D. It really is a powerful tool to know and have. I suppose this is why LW survives even despite the awful CA. There are many uses for LW outside of doing CA in Hollywood, and Lightwave is a really great all around tool.

I've always loved your hedgehogs by the way :)

bg01
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't use Lightwave, I just bought it so I could hang out on this board and read the jokes. :) ....

What! you mean I didn't need to buy Lightwave to read the jokes?...

Ratboy
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I've done just about everything on that list except the architectural stuff. That may be next...

kopperdrake
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I've always loved your hedgehogs by the way :)

Bless you :D He's been holding those daffodils for a bit too long now I think...must be plastic ones.

Yep - the variety is what keeps me going I think - I had a stint in games but I found I got quite bored after a year or so. The hardest part I find is trying to explain to clients/potential clients that there is *no* limit to what you can produce. Most of them get it in the end though and start to produce concepts for you to work from that really could be done no other way :D

theo
07-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Dodgy,

Your thread may end up illustrating the profile of a true Lightwaver more than the percentages the poll is designed to calculate.

I do not work with games nor am I a hobbyist but Lightwave has been employed as a professional servant in a maxitude of ways and means.

In no special order:
Illustration
Fine Art
Corporate training
Websites
Animation
Special Effects
Graphic Design
Engineering (service used mostly by inventor clients)
Interior Design
Architectural Previs
Building Facade Design
3D mesh generation for CAD cutting
3D visualizations for displays and signage

lesterfoster
07-11-2007, 05:16 AM
3D mesh generation for CAD cutting

How are you using LW for CAD cutting?? Do you mean like laser cutting or water jet cutting, or perhaps 3D CNC milling?

theo
07-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Lester,

3D CNC milling- mainly plaque effects and large-scale custom profiling and shapes.

I don't want to say too much as I tend to hold my cards fairly close to my chest in this regard.

Skinner3D
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
:D I voted hobbyist only. Pretty much all I do with Lightwave at the moment is create whatever I feel like creating.
I wish I were doing something more professional with it.

Steamthrower
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
- Architectural pre-viz (boring work but hey, better than doing taxes)
- Mechanical visualisation (actually pretty fun)
- Modeling for games (currently freelancing for www.reactorinteractive.com)
- Hobby on the side

3dworks
07-12-2007, 01:59 PM
it's very interesting to see shaping out the archviz group as the biggest non hobbyist LW user group!

cheers

markus

Pavlov
07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
same here.
Tons of Arch Viz, small amount of FX and design and almost no CA.

Paolo

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah when I first posted the poll I knew I was going to miss something and there was going to be other odd jobs people use LW for, but this has turned out to be really interesting and varied :)

Pavlov
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Lol