PDA

View Full Version : Error message when trying to export to 3DS

EastWinds
02-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm trying to export a model with textures to 3ds using the export command and I keep getting and error message: ERROR - 3ds export operation failed Code:1
3ds export polygons with 3 vertices only. The original model was a freebie lwo from the internet.
I also get an error message trying to export to dxf. When I export to obj I don't get any error messages but nothing displays in the other program I'm importing into (Strata CX). I'm an experienced Strata user whose trying to make the trans sition to LightWave.

BeeVee
02-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Eastwinds,

Like it says your polygons can only have three vertices to be able to export them to 3DS. DXF can have three or four-sided polygons, but has other limitations.

In order to export as 3DS, you can triple your model. It will turn every polygon that has more than three sides into a series of triangles, but be warned, polygons that have many more than three sides, or that are extremely convoluted will not get turned into pretty triangles...

You can set Triple going by not selecting anything and hitting shift t, or by going to the Multiply tab, in the Subdivide group.

B