PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Lightwave Model in Maya

trunkschan90
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a question that I need help on. I modeled something in Lightwave and I want to open it in Maya (6.5 version). How do I do that? Please be detailed << :) Thanks (also, can a model in which parts of its bodies are in multiple layers be opened in Maya)?

Cageman
02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
You need to export the LWO to OBJ. File-Export-Export OBJ.

You need to export all layers as separate objects if you want them to be separated in Maya. As you can't export individual layers as OBJ, you will first have to save all the layers as separate objects, then load these objects one by one and choose File-Export-Export OBJ.

Good luck.

Dodgy
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I think if you use Groups to group your object into it's component parts, then each group may come in as an object.

Also, you might want to use my mtl loader/saver plugin if you're using .objs, as this will preserve mapping and surface data.

Cageman
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I think if you use Groups to group your object into it's component parts, then each group may come in as an object.

Also, you might want to use my mtl loader/saver plugin if you're using .objs, as this will preserve mapping and surface data.

Sounds like a cool plug! Why didn't I know about this? *lol*

btw... you've done some great plugs man! Cheers! :thumbsup: