PDA

View Full Version : New Lightwave Workstation & 64bit dual boot

<HD>
01-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I've just ordered a new workstation, very exciting, full power dual core Opterons with fast graphics 4gig ram raid5 and liquid cooling. I've asked for win XP 32bit so I have a hassle free experience with all my software & lightwave plug-ins but wondered if you could also install win XP 64bit as perhaps a dual-boot setup. I know you could do this in the past with NT and win98 etc but thought maybe two XP installs would overwrite each other. Thanks for your wisdom

EmperorPete
01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a nice rig you've got ordered there! :thumbsup:
I'm running XP Pro & XP64 on the same machine; I have each install on a separate partition and they both work perfectly. I don't believe you can have both installed on the same partition, though.

<HD>
01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey, thanks for that. I'm not sure what the rules are for partitions. I've specified a 10k rpm 74gb sata drive as the system disk for fast windows accessing. Do I need to create a C and a D partition on that HDD and install XP and XP64 to those or would one of them have to be on a completely different HDD. Thanks for help

dgon64
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I also have a dual boot with W2000 and XP64 ( nice computer by the way ) and you definitely need seperate partitions. I used a commercial product ( not recommending it because it did crash at the install but finally got it to work ) but you can use system tools, I guess. Main thing is there are few plugs for LW64 so installing LW32 to X86 folder is best of both worlds. You don't need a second hard drive ( though I do use an external one for graphic files ). Both partitions can be on the same hard drive-just make sure when installing each operating system to direct the installer to each partition ( this may be only available as an advanced option during setup installatiion ).

<HD>
01-31-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the help :thumbsup: . So I create two partitions on the system drive, install XP pro on C: drive and then install XP64... directing it to the D: drive. I assume the C: drive is flagged as the 'active drive' and XP pro will automatically bring up a boot menu asking me which version to load....knowing somehow that XP64 exists on the D: drive?

EmperorPete
01-31-2006, 03:12 AM
Yup. When you install multiple versions of XP on the same machine you'll get a menu during boot, that will give you the chance to pick which OS you want to run.