PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the title bar?

Exception
01-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

Wouldn't it be great if you could switch off the title bar of lw? I mean, its taking up screen real estate and it is just a bar with the name of the program and a close box in it? I'd very much like a 'full screen mode' that would take up the whole screen, especially since I often work with laptops...

any takers?

hrgiger
01-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I second that one. Anything to give some more screen real estate....

BazC
01-29-2006, 03:53 AM
Well you can always hide toolbar in display options (alt F2 ) and work with shortcuts and mouse click menus. That saves a LOT of space. I agree though, if you could toggle between JUST the viewports and a full interface (like Cinema 9.5) it would be very nice!

loki74
01-29-2006, 04:18 AM
I think that would be terrible!!!

When using multiple apps at once, the workflow gets real annoying if some app decides its gonna go fullscreen. Not to mention, killing the dock is a definate no no.

I guess on windows it would be fine, but on mac forget it.

...but then again, if its just a toggle-able feature, its not really hurting anyone, just being there. So yeah, why not have a fullscreen mode?

Paul_Boland
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
I think that would be terrible!!!

When using multiple apps at once, the workflow gets real annoying if some app decides its gonna go fullscreen. Not to mention, killing the dock is a definate no no.

I guess on windows it would be fine, but on mac forget it.

...but then again, if its just a toggle-able feature, its not really hurting anyone, just being there. So yeah, why not have a fullscreen mode?

I agree with Ioki74. If Newtek does implement this, DON'T make it mandatory, but optional. I like being able to minimise Lightwave to go to another application without having to reach for the ALT+TAB combo. I'm still new to Lightwave and do work with a lot of tutorials such as Kurv Studios Lightwave 8 From The Begiining, and being able to jump between the two with a click of the mouse is very handy. And In all fairness, the Title bar is only a few pixels high so the amount of room you would get back wouldn't be huge.

BazC
01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I think you've misunderstood! No-one is suggesting Newtek remove all the meus it would have to be a toggle feature. Take a look at the demo of Cinema4d 9.5 to see how well this can work. You start with a full interface with top and side menus, tool pallettes object manager etc taking up loads of room. Press Ctrl + Tab and everything but the viewport disappears and you have your whole screen for modelling. You can still use expose and the dock still works as before. Press Ctrl = Tab again and everything is back. It's a great feature! Kind of like pressing Tab in Layout, it just hides the clutter! - Baz

loki74
01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
yeah, toggleable would be perfectly fine...

I think the best solution is to make the titlebar just smaller in general. On windows this is pretty simple, its a setting you can change, iirc. Unfortunately you cant change titlebar height on OSX. It would be SO nice if Apple would let other developers use the ProKit. All of their pro apps have mini controls and uber thin titlebars. Some people dont like it, but I really appreciate it. *sigh*

PS-- Paul, thats an "L" in my name lol. "Loki74" :D

trick
01-29-2006, 02:49 PM
You can also try this (http://www.fanix.com/fullscreen.html) :thumbsup:

Lamont
01-30-2006, 12:48 AM
19 pixels? If you're working in 640x480 I guess that's a problem. I kinda have that minimalist interface fetish ;), but I run at 1600x1200:

trick
01-30-2006, 01:16 AM
I run in twice 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 and still like the idea of getting rid of the useless title bar, if only it was for losing that "Windows Feeling" :D

BeeVee
01-30-2006, 02:49 AM
It's also worth pointing out that by default Windows XP makes the title bars on windows huge without reason. If you go into Properties on your desktop, you can change the text size to make the title bar a lot more unobtrusive (wish I could give you exact steps, but I'm on 2k here).

B

Paul_Boland
01-30-2006, 11:37 AM
PS-- Paul, thats an "L" in my name lol. "Loki74" :D

Oops!! Sorry about that Loki74 ;) .

geothefaust
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with the main poster. Even 19 pixels is just that much more room to work. :)

Lamont
01-30-2006, 12:09 PM
What about the 3 pixels that make up the borders of the viewports?

Or just stretch your viewports beyond what your monitor shows.

NanoGator
01-31-2006, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't be a huge fan of this unless all of the windows were nested inside of the main window. Otherwise, I want LW to operate the same way any other window'd app would. (I'm dying for surface editor and image editor to take up less space...)

Matt
01-31-2006, 12:38 PM
It's also worth pointing out that by default Windows XP makes the title bars on windows huge without reason. If you go into Properties on your desktop, you can change the text size to make the title bar a lot more unobtrusive (wish I could give you exact steps, but I'm on 2k here).

B

Display Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Click title bar in graphic -> reduce text point size

Lamont
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Display Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Click title bar in graphic -> reduce text point sizeThat's not enough Matt... 19 pixels is way too much... 9 is pushing it.

Silkrooster
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
One way for windows users to change the title bar is to run a program like window blind http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/
This type of program is suppose to change the windows themes.
{I have not tried this program nor run antivirus on it. So please take this post only as a suggestion and be careful of any unknown programs and/or websites of unknown companies. - - just a disclaimer :hey: }
Silk

lwaddict
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
It's sad.
Just sad.

That this topic has generated so much attention and thought.

You're talking about a very powerful 3d app and the best idea to make it better it to work on the title bar?

Just remember this thread when this gets implemented and the rant for something more tangible in the workflow pipeline doesn't.

While they're not working on really important stuff under Lightwave's hood...maybe NT could work on allowing customizable button bevels for the interface? or a way to make it look more snazzy with rivits and whatnot?

Geez people.

IMPERIAL
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I would love that, Aura and Mirage has it..(no border).. its great.

Also.. I want camera view to be able to go full screen (maybe only on VGA output)...no time line, no nothing, just OpenGL...plus if we can somehow control multiple objects at the same time.. with some kind of console..ex. (hardware slider for left arm ik goal, right arm ik goal, endmorphs).. and so on.. we can make real time tv character.. with baked textures it will look greeat...

Exception
01-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Regarding the comments about changing the size of the title bar in windows, getting that nifty full screen utility or window blinds (which is horrible in my opinion), I actually posted this because we're working on 200 university computers here where we cannot install programs or change display settings. So it would be great if it could be done within LW.

It's sad.
Just sad.

Jeez man, lighten up. In case you havn't noticed, there are enough important topics that gather attention on the block. This was just a new one that apparently many people are interested in. We're not all smoking a pipe here in the ready-room and have to choose between life and death of the universe. I'm just suggesting an improvement, and FYI, most people in this topic contribute in a positive way with small and large issues on a daily basis. If you have nothing constructive to add, why say anything at all?

papou
01-31-2006, 05:17 PM
hi everybody,
you can do a small script, launched at the layout startup:

generic
{
Layout_SetWindowPos(-2,-2);
}

or you can execute this command in the Lscript Commander.

Layout_SetWindowPos -2 -2

i am finishing somes scripts to automaticly move and resize layout panels. I hope to finish them one day. (or soon..., as you prefer...)
some pictures on frenchwave:http://www.frenchwave.org/Forums/viewtopic/t=1104/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
it's much more advanced today and usable at work for me.

cheers,

hrgiger
01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
It's sad.
Just sad.

What is sad is the inability of some people to see that every user request has merit and everyone who buys the software should have a voice. Hence the forums. All ideas might not be great, but everything is usually worth discussing.
Besides, relax. Development of Lightwave as a powerful 3D app is not going to come to a grinding halt if they ever did decide to give you an option to hide the title bar.