PDA

View Full Version : New Shaders for LW64

LMUSIC
01-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I have been playing around with the new IFW2 shaders package for LW64. It is pretty nice. :thumbsup:

I bought it to have a better ambient occlusion in LW64. gMil just wasn't giving me the results I wanted.

This one has a LOT of flexibility and is a great addition to the tool box. Includes a nice little gradient creator tool as well.

I received an email stating they are running a "Trio License" special that includes versions for Win32, Win64, and OSX. (~$89, I think, but didn't see it on their web site so interested parties may need to email for more info)

http://www.shaders.org

In the attached images, the top ones are standard rendering and the lower images have a gentle amount of the occlusion shader applied.

MrWyatt
01-28-2006, 02:38 AM
do theese work with screamer netrender?

LMUSIC
01-28-2006, 03:42 PM
MrWyatt - tests on ScreamerNet look really good. Using the stock LW Radiosity room. I rendered a 120 frame camera move to see if I got any of the flickering that shows up in a interpolated radiosity rendering. It was really clean! I couldn't see any flickering at all.

This is on a ScreamerNet setup that includes LW64 and LW32 nodes. As a more demanding test I rendered the same frame (at 1024x768) on a LW64 node and on a LW32 node. Then got a difference map between the two. There was technically some difference between the two, but so small that you have to amplify it a tremendous amount to be able to see that it is there. I was using the 'random' raycast mode for this test, so it is pretty significant that they came out this close to identical.

Then to test the speed, I rendered the attached images. The scene is lit with a single area light at the end of the room.

All images - rendered at 320x240, AA = Classic Low

Image A:
Light Intensity = 95%, Ambient = 5%, Radiosity = no, Occlusion = no
Render Time = 13 sec.

Image B:
Light Intensity = 70%, Ambient = 5%, Radiosity = Monte Carlo, Occlusion = no
Render Time = 449 sec.

Image C:
Light Intensity = 75%, Ambient = 25%, Radiosity = no, Occlusion = yes
Render Time = 49 sec.

I am going to like these shader tools a lot! :dance:

MrWyatt
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
how fast does the IFW occlusion render in comparison to the SG_Occlusion shader wich is pretty slow when using quality settings.

LMUSIC
01-28-2006, 04:44 PM
A quick test with both shaders at 32 rays per AA pass and matching ray lengths shows both to be very close to the same speed. It is possible that the ray casting speed of LW is the common limiting factor.

From an occlusion shading point of view, it looks like they both give good (and comparable) results. When I find a setup in one I like, the other can be made to respond similarly.

I haven't played with it yet, but the IFW shader can be used to transition from one texture to another. So areas can have a 'grime' texture collecting in the occlusions. Don't know if that is possible with SG_AmbOcc.

I liked using the SG_AmbOcc shader in place of gMil on the LW32 nodes and wanted to get it for the 64 bit nodes. (Can't beat the price.)

Didn't have any luck finding it. The search led me to the IFW shaders. I think I will be here a while.

LMUSIC
01-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is an example of using one shader for the base texture and a slimey dirt shader for the occlusion texture.

edit:[ replaced image]

LMUSIC
01-29-2006, 12:03 AM
I decided to dress up the ol' Rad Room. What do you think?

LMUSIC
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
MrWyatt - I've been playing with the IFW shaders all weekend, and I must say that it can definitely do more things than SG_AmbOcc (even just limiting the IFW use to occlusion). You can get very fine (and nonlinear) control over the application of the occlusion textures.

And that doesn't even touch on the other shader capabilities.

I didn't want to leave you with a falsely small impression of the IFW package.

MrWyatt
01-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks a lot
:)