PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Container

Carm3D
05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Greetings,

I put this image together yesterday rather quickly. It uses G2's SSS on the pearls, and HD_Caustics for the fake caustics shadows. Since HD_Caustics works best with point lights, the other shadow elements were rendered seperately and composited together. I suppose I could have used real caustics, but I didn't have all day to work on it.

Oh yeah, and Gaffer's bloom to finish it up.

http://www.carm3d.net/media/Jewelry.JPG

Be happy!

js33
05-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi Carm3D,

Very nice. Don't have any crits but would like to see it in a scene.
Put it on a dresser or table or something.

Cheers,
JS

sparky
05-14-2003, 09:10 PM
very cool, I love the pearls and the caustics.

Hurben
05-14-2003, 10:33 PM
I love the pearls, but I'm not sure about the ring.. it seems to detract from the image or it's too blown out or it's not in the right position.. I can't figure it out.

But I love the pearls! :)

Carm3D
05-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Carbon71
05-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Wow those are beautiful pearls! Those hot and cool specular highlights (and diffuse) totally make it work.

I'm rather newbish, but here my quasi crits:

1.Something maybe off about the ring. The bloom seems a little too much on it, or maybe it's too saturated in color? Seems like it ought to be sharper somehow.

2. How about just 1 light source causing shadows and caustics. Because all the lights are affecting caustics and shadows, they go everywhere. It's nice to establish a definite key light, especially in a glamorous shot like this.

That's it. This is beautiful and will be my wallpaper for the day

:)
Jeff

P.S. Heard about G2 a lot. What's your review of it?

Matt
05-15-2003, 02:08 AM
I was gonna make some lame comment about a pearl necklace but then decided against it!

oh, I just did! sorry!

;)

Zarathustra
05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
The pearls are too good - they stand out because everything else isn't up to that quality.

Dave3D
05-16-2003, 04:19 AM
pearls are the best bit, but i think that the dish seem to look raised to of the ground, i see the small feet it has but it still just doesnt look right, still great image.

Dave:)

colkai
05-16-2003, 01:53 PM
I think if you lose the 'loose' gems and the ring, it would better the image, as it is, the glaring contrast takes away from the image as a whole.
Damn nice though nonetheless!

Hervé
05-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Very nice pearls (I had to say sorry).... my only comment.....

I think whether the pearls are really big... whether the ring is for a very tiny finger no?

My two cents

also maybe more Highlights on the ring....

Overall, very good lighting....!!

Cheers

Carm3D
05-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all your nice comments everybody. :)

I agree the ring should have been bigger. And I think the gems should have a different colour to make them stand out from the container.. If I bring this project back up I will make these changes.

dark_lotus
05-18-2003, 09:49 PM
It kinda looks like an ashtray, it actually looks like an apple mouse gutted and turned inside out.

Just a thought.