PDA

View Full Version : Spline patches

randysolo
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Are there any general guidlines for spline patching? I seem to have the hang of it except when I'm trying fix places where I have to add splines. I alway get the error "curves don't cross correctly". I try to split but that doesn't seem to help either. Are there any rules or things to look out for when creating extra splines?

thanks,

Randysolo

Wonderpup
01-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi randysolo,

It makes a difference which way the spline is facing- which end the 'head' is at. There is an option to display this I think in the display menu. Also Larry Shultz has some free spline modeling videos you might want to take a look at.

randysolo
01-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks Wonder!

I actually noticed that by accident right before I read your post. I noticed that a "Point" was highlighted when I selected a spline. I also noticed that they weren't all in the same direction. For some reason i also noticed that when adding additional splines, I had to split the longer splines so that they didn't go past the corners. I'm not sure why this is. Now I'm trying to figure out why my patch is so bumpy. Thank you for your help. I did a couple of Larry's tutorials. That was a year ago. Maybe I need to go back and do it again.

thanks,

randysolo

SplineGod
01-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks wonderpup. :)

Hey Randy,
I have some newer material on modeling with splines that are definately worth checking out. I also have a free video on my site you can check out.
If you try and patch splines using the autopatcher you have more rules to worry about.
If you patch manually you dont have to worry about the whole heads/tails thing with splines. I always patch manually because I can use less splines and the rules for making correct patches are simple:

1. A patch must be surrounded by 3 splines minimum, 4 splines maximum
2. The splines must be welded where they intersect
3. You must select the correct splines and have the right number select (3 or 4 depending on the patch).
If you select the splines clockwise the polys created will face away from you. If you select them counterclockwise the polys will face towards you.
Perpendicular and parallel are determined by the LAST spline selected.

If you get the curves not crossing correctly youve broken one of those 3 rules. :)