PDA

View Full Version : Allow Fractional Frame Render Frame Step

jds580s
05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
It would be really handy to allow fractional frame's when actually rendering scenes. In other words, being able to input values between zero and one in Render Options > Render Frame Step.

It seems like this would be easy to implement seeing as you can already scrub the timeline with fractional frames and Motion Blur makes use of sub frame time samples.

The naming convention would have to be a little different like:
render_0001.01.tga
render_0001.02.tga
etc...

You would then need to force alphabetical order in a compositing package to get those frames to be in the proper order, but that wouldn't be too much trouble.

This could be handy for slow-mo effects & bullet time with out the need for any plug-ins, or setting up special scenes and then having to slow down all your channels.

Justin Sirois

Bionic Antboy
08-08-2003, 10:08 AM
I was just gonna post this same request, but decided to do a search to see if it's popped up before... and so it has... :)

I definitely second the request.

Being able to do fractional frames would save some annoying workaround/plugin gruntwork.

Being able to render out particle, dynamics effects in super slo mo would be really handy, as I've got to do a vehiclular crash in about a month's time, and was pondering how to handle it, with particle effects/collision etc.

I don't imagine it being too difficult a feature to implement, either.

Zafar Iqbal
08-09-2003, 03:21 PM
This is a great idea!

Speaking of fractional frames: I've noticed that LW changes the fractal values - this is really annoying especially if you are timing something for a soundtrack - after some animatiopnsloops the timing is way off.

It's happening almost everyyhere - in surface editor, 100% wont be 100% anylonger but 99,9%. Ofcause this doesn't happends all the time.

Jarno
08-10-2003, 10:58 PM
You could just up the fps really high, then render the frames you want to have super slo mo. Finally, encode the rendered frames to an animation at the normal fps.

I'm currently working on the docs for a plugin that pretty much solves the problem of doing slow motion, fast motion, accelerating time, reverse time, bullet time, and whatever other scene time manipulation you want in LW. It should appear soon on http://www.tufflittleunit.com/

---JvdL---