PDA

View Full Version : ZBRUSH for color maps w/ LW

PeteS
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
ok...so i know LW don't support 16 bit maps which Zbrush uses for bumps...yadda, yadda, yadda....

but how about the color maps and UV's? I'd love a program that gives me great UV's...automatically. also, I'd love to use some of the color/bump tools. Then impost this into LW fro my character.

Is this possible? Will my stretch UV problems be over?

sorry if thius was asked before..i couldn't find any threads for it...just displacements!

Pete

Rory_L
01-25-2006, 10:54 PM
You want to use Z-Brush`s automatic UV generation on your LW model? Import the model without UV mapping, as a .obj model, then assign the UV tiling method of choice to the model. Do your colour painting and when you`re done, export the model, again as a .obj type and export your texture too. In Modeler, import the new .obj mesh and attach the texture to it in the normal LW way, saving the surfaced model as a .lwo.

There is a 16 bit tif loader you can install in Layout for your bump needs. I haven`t used it as some other plugin I installed is conflicting with it. With 9 just around the corner, I can`t be bothered to track down the culprit!

Cheers,

R

Dodgy
01-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Also, with the new exporters, you can use 2 8 bit tiffs instead of 1 16 bit tiff, which will work in lw. Have a look at my web page, there's a tutorial on it telling you how to export.

PeteS
01-26-2006, 07:56 AM
ok...so let me see if i get this straight, since i am about to buy ZBRUSH.

I model my object in modeller. I export it to zbrush (unsubpatched?), I open in Zbrush and subpatch it?. Then I run my UV's on it. Paint it using all the cool Zbrush methods (i mean paint not deform). Then I export, unsubpatched, back into modeller. As it's own file, not into the original file. Now the UV's I created in ZBrush will be under my UV's dropdown?....right? and apply the color map i created in ZBRUSH? also...these maps are pretty clean? no stretching? that sound right?

3 other questions....

1...can i bring this color maps into PS too? Are the UV's atlas...or do they make some painting sense?

2...this works on a MAC platform?

3..what will be dfferent in LW 9 that makes this easier?

thanks for answering..I'd hate to lay out money and not get expected results 8~

Dodgy
01-26-2006, 08:16 AM
I model my object in modeller. I export it to zbrush (unsubpatched?), I open in Zbrush and subpatch it?. Then I run my UV's on it. Paint it using all the cool Zbrush methods (i mean paint not deform). Then I export, unsubpatched, back into modeller. As it's own file, not into the original file. Now the UV's I created in ZBrush will be under my UV's dropdown?....right? and apply the color map i created in ZBRUSH? also...these maps are pretty clean? no stretching? that sound right?

That's pretty much it. The map may need to be flipped vertically (you can do this automatically in ZB on export) as ZB uses an inverted UV system to LW.

1> They probably won't make painting sense. You can map in a couple of ways in ZB, but they don't tend to make a nice paintable map for PS. That's why I prefer to layout UVs in LW first, make them more optimal.

2> no idea, I'm a pc guy.

3>LW 9 will have better displacements, but there's not much to change about colour maps.

PeteS
01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
thanks guys!

that being said...is ZBRUSH the best UV paint program/pluggin?

really i am in need of creating unstretched color maps as fast as possible.

Thanks again

Rory_L
01-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Bang for buck, yes! Not only is it a great 3D paint package, but its a modeller to boot. And the models you make can be `painted` onto your main model for surfacing purposes.

R

Boo!
01-27-2006, 03:10 AM
...WHOA!...
i gotta ask, does that mean its better than Bodypaint 2... :confused:
please say no...
ive been usin it for a little while now and its cool...
and im im about to buy a training disc on it from Kurvstudios

Ramon
02-18-2006, 03:04 PM
that being said...is ZBRUSH the best UV paint program/pluggin?
really i am in need of creating unstretched color maps as fast as possible.
Thanks again
I did a search on the Zbrush forums and found this very informative thread on Zbrush to LW in which Vincent says:

"Texturing took days in BodyPaint while in zB it took less than an 8 hour day."

The thread is located here: http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=32584&page=3&pp=15&highlight=lightwave

Hope it helps you all and spawns further info.

gatz
02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Dodgy's Lightwave and Back is the best ZB/LW tutorial available. Start there, then go through Steve Warner's tutorial. You may be able to gleen uselful nuggets from the three or four other tutorials explaining the same thing, but Dodgy's is important because he uses LZ UV maps as the basis for your work. ZB UVs aren't edit friendly in PhotoShop.

For Color Maps everything works on the Mac in LW 8.5. But as the Body Paint advocates have pointed out ZB isn't as refined as a surface painting tool. But watch http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=224361#post224361 to see how to use PhotoShop and ZB together.

For displacement LYNXs NormalDisplacement is required. 16Bit Tifs aren't supported.

Don't make any assumptions about future releases.

dodgy.ghostoutpost.com << start here
www.stevewarner.com << good followup

rg
-----------------------------------------------------
DP G4 1GHZ, 1.75 GB, 10.4.5, ATI 9800 2x20"

PeteS
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
****...this is all so confusing!! they all have good points! Thank you for giving me food for thought!!

TomT
02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
FWIW. IF you're used to thinking about maps in a more traditional way, and perhaps are more used to a Photoshop painting paradigm, I find BP 2.5 easiest to work with. If you can learn and enjoy ZB's interface, it has a lot of powerful tools for texturing, that are bit more hidden in BP.

I've heard ZB proponents claim to do in a day what would take weeks in a traditional painter--that's not been true in most shops I've worked. Both tools seem to be equal produtivity for a range of common tasks and both tools have strengths in paticular tasks.

Personally, although I use both, I use BP for most things and leave ZB to detailing organics (such and heads, faces, veins, etc.) ZB's desire to keep dropping the 3D model to 2.5D is too nervewracking for me. ;)

Ramon
02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
FWIW. IF you're used to thinking about maps in a more traditional way, and perhaps are more used to a Photoshop painting paradigm, I find BP 2.5 easiest to work with. If you can learn and enjoy ZB's interface, it has a lot of powerful tools for texturing, that are bit more hidden in BP.;)
Yeah, I believe ZB to be quite a powerful and useful 3D painting app. I agree that the interface is truly unconventional and requires some getting use to but, if you like photoshop better for the texture painting (who doesn't) Zbrush has the Zapplink (seemless ZB -PS and back)! Awesome eh?

Personally, although I use both, I use BP for most things and leave ZB to detailing organics (such and heads, faces, veins, etc.) ZB's desire to keep droping the 3D model to 2.5D is too nervewracking for me. ;)
The "droping" business is a bit of a pain and I still don't know why they had to empliment it in the way they did8/ but, not that much of an issue to get around with markers.

PeteS
02-20-2006, 01:00 PM
well... i've had bodypaint sitting on my shelf for a while..unused due to my lack of learning time. I just picked up the KURVS "get into BP DVD"...which is pretty good!

BUT...that new ZAPPLINK does seem cancel out most of the BP photophop benifits. Real impressive.

hmmm...looks like I'll have to pick up ZBRUSH..hopefully it plays nice with a MAC. Which i guess it does if you guys are replying in this forum;-)

Thanks for all the wonderful input on this topic guys. Makes things alot clearer!

pete

Ramon
02-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Well Pete to be quite fair, I haven't used ZB on Mac. I used to be a Mac user but when it came time for upgrading my hardware, you know how that goes,... a comparably fast Mac was too expensive. Boy, do I miss the Mac OS though! Who knows, with the Intel chips in Mac, maybe... anyways, I digress.
ZB is a great app for painting and sculpting:)