PDA

View Full Version : Constant, Crashes

Filmdesigner
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
I am still suffering from a blight of persistent crashes. I use a G5 Dual Mac with LW8.5. The most common point for crashing is just after I click either F9 or F10 to render the current frame or scene. I have about a 75% chance of crashing LW at this point. No messages, plenty of RAM. It has become so familiar, I generally close LW and trash the Layout Preferences before I attempt a final render.

Why is this so?

Please help.

toby
01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Mmm, how many megs of textures are you using? Any plugins? How about QT movies as textures? Maybe TIFFs?

Filmdesigner
01-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Some of the textures are pretty heavy. There are about twenty tree models which generally don't cause problems, but therre are a few surfaces that might be smaller. All textures are either Jpeg or Pict files. I suspect there is either a problem with the way I use textures or their resolution. I use large BG sky maps to reduce artifacts and pixelation. Hopefully this isn't the problem (2400,1200 high res Jpeg or ecen Photoshop raw, depending on the situation).

toby
01-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Aha! JPEGs have always been kind of iffy. In LW7.5, we had to delete the jpeg.p plugin to avoid crashes. Between that, artifacts, and a slight color shift, I hate jpg's. Try PNGs. Better quality, much more stability, and for texture maps you can usually get away with 8-bit png's - but probably not your background images - stay with 24 bit png's for those.

Use Photoshop's 'Save for web' feature to output 8-bit png's quickly and easily, and even with an alpha if needed.

Also keep an eye on Infini-Map, it only loads the bits of maps that LW needs to render at a given time, just like renderman. This puts an end to the size, quality and resolution limits of textures. He's working on an OSX version. You can find him here on the forums too.
http://www.db-w.com/

Another thing to be careful of - any effects you're applying to images in the image editor can require a lot more ram than LW calculates ahead of time, causing a crash. Adding a blur filter to your bg image, for example, can consume much more ram than the images' size would indicate. Apply these effects in Photoshop then bring in to LW for optimum efficiency.

BeeVee
01-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Herte's a draft of a piece I wrote with Michael "Lightwolf" Wolf on optimising image use in LightWave. It's word-heavy atm, but should be understandable...

B

toby
01-26-2006, 02:02 AM
And 'LightWolf' is the InfiniMap guy -

Filmdesigner
01-26-2006, 04:15 AM
This is fantastic! I really appreciate the advice. I will create the same scene with PNG files instead of Jpegs.

Much appreciated. I will look at the ATM file included in the posts and will advise on success if any.

Thanks to all...

Mha8649
01-27-2006, 01:02 PM
the first time I installed lw 8.5 layout and modeler would crash everytime I loaded a model after clearing a scene or closing all models and sometimes it would crash before I even had a chance to click on the file and hit ok..... But thanks to stupidity I messed something up and had to reinstall and its worked perfect ever since... So maybe a reinstall would help.? Best of luck

Stooch
01-27-2006, 05:23 PM
try to stay away from compressed formats in general.

Filmdesigner
01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I replaced all of my image files with PNG files. This appears to have made LW more stable. I will make other attemps to reduce file sizes and do some more tests. I made an unpleasant discovery. One of my trees (110k polys) had two image maps associated with it. One Photoshop native and a large jpeg. How I did this I don't know.

Silly me.

toby
01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
No more crashes?
:beerchug:

So how many megs of ram are you ending up with anyway? 400mb would be pushing it, and it gets better and better the lower you go.

What's your system like?

Filmdesigner
02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Big system. G5 Dual, Max Ramm. Fast video cards and all the rest. Little knowledge or skill, me thinks.

toby
02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
No I mean how many megs of textures are in your scene? :) There's a readout at the top of the image editor -

Filmdesigner
02-11-2006, 12:03 AM
I have about 46 megs of images, of which 10 megs is a BG sky image. The system is rock solid.