PDA

View Full Version : LWCad now available for download

spec24
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
that pretty much says it all

oops - I see Kurtis already made his post.

Auger
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Already playin' with it!

Very cool prog. :thumbsup:

krimpr
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks Newtek! :thumbsup:

Mha8649
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
How long does it take to get your activation code.? It's been over an hour and still no e-mail....

cornbreadandham
01-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I got my email instantly.

krimpr
01-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Less than one minute for my unlock code email too.

Mha8649
01-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Well that great I stil dont have mine and it's been a whole lotta minutes.
And I checked and rechecked my e-mail is correct .... so I guess I will contact nt. thanks for the replys.

Rich
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I posted this in the other LWCad thread in General Discussion as well. I am also having problems with receiving the unlock code. It says the email has been sent but still no email. I checked the email address I have registered and it is correct. I have been waiting 15 minutes now and no email.

prospector
01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
been 2 hrs now and no code, but says it was sent instantly after reg :confused:

Earl
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
You've probably already done this, but make sure you check your "SPAM" filters or your SPAM folder to see if it got filtered out.

Rich
01-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I just double checked the email address I have registered and it is correct. Plus I receive all the Newtek Newsletters just fine including the one sent today letting me know about the LWCad download. I re-submitted the LW serial from the Vue Cd and this is the message I get

You have already been signed up for the LWCAD free download offer. Your authorization code is being resent to you at the email address associated with your profile.

Still nothing is arriving and I even checked my spam folder to make sure it wasn't sent there. :thumbsdow

Mha8649
01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Ohwell I reapplied for the code and it said this id code has already been used an email with the unlock code has been resent...and still no code...ohwell whats another day or two. :thumbsup:

prospector
01-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Any tuts yet for this anyplace?

mattclary
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I didn't check mine immediately after registering, but I had it within 30 minutes.

spec24
01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
anyone else having a problem with the shape library working? I have the correct path set in my LWCAD Options but it own't access the shapes :(

ok - never mind - a little convoluted to get it working. But it's working :)

dominick
01-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I haven't received my code through email either. This makes three of us!

Mha8649
01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Thats it, it's an official conspirecy.... :grumpy:

Earl
01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I got mine instantly. Literally within 5 seconds of pressing Submit. If you still don't have it I would simply call them up and get it via the phone.

hrgiger
01-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I got mine after a little call to support. Of course, it was my fault because I didn't bother to check to make sure that my email address was current. Once that was cleared up, I got my activation code within minutes.

prospector
01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Yep HR that's what happened to mine too
my bad :grumpy:

Sekhar
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't see LWCAD in my download area, where is it? I did get the 1/20 email about the free offer, but didn't hear from NT since then...

EDIT
Never mind, just saw the (big) sign in the reg area.

Mha8649
01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Well my email is correct.. so I guess I will have to give them another call.

spec24
01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
well, I'm not sure that a tool that crashes modeler continuously is such a great thing. Modeler almost never crashes on me - maybe once a month (if that). I've had it crash now twice with this within 20 minutes.

Forgetting that - it really has some nice features.

spec24
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
anyone else having a problem with the shape library working? I have the correct path set in my LWCAD Options but it own't access the shapes :(

ok - never mind - a little convoluted to get it working. But it's working :)

I take it back. Something does appear to be wrong with the presets.

Sekhar
01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
I take it back. Something does appear to be wrong with the presets.

I had to change the path from "...\ContentPrograms\Presets" to "...\Programs\Presets."

spec24
01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I had to change the path from "...\ContentPrograms\Presets" to "...\Programs\Presets."

yeah - did that. The only way it operates, at least for me, is having to bring the preset manager up after it gives me the warning. My presets are all there. Then I have to hit n - once to open the numeric panel and again to actually load a preset. According to the manual you should be able to browse the presets by using the little buttons that show up with the tool. And look at that. It just crashed again. So far, more aggrivation than it's worth.

spec24
01-25-2006, 09:02 PM
holy cow - what a dope. I had my presets library set to ../Presets/ShapeLibrary uh duh.

It still crashes pretty often though.

blinblue
01-25-2006, 09:28 PM
For those that didn't get an email after requesting the code, perhaps it got filtered as junk/spam mail? Might be worth a check...

I just got mine, I am still playing around with it, but it looks like it will be useful (I really love the move snap)

JamesCurtis
01-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I had a problem at first with the preset path thing too. For me to get it to recognize the right path, I had to type the path stated above manually for it to stick and not give me the error. Now no problems so far, but I haven't tested it very much yet. Also wish there was a way to select the pattern from the numeric panel, would be nicer and a little more convenient and intuitive.

Malorie
01-25-2006, 09:52 PM
The architects amoung you are going to LOVE this set of tools. Moldings in a flash! Piping easy as pie! All that fun stuff that probably consumed hours will now take seconds.

Being more of a mechanical designer, they will come in handy for some of the things that I do in LW, but I'm not ready to give up my SolidWorks modeling tool set just yet. :)

Very nice addition to LW, Thanks NT! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've been poking around with this plugin for the last few hours and not one crash yet. I did have to do the manual install due to my odd system drive letter (I think), but other than that it all seems to run smoothly. :)

:thumbsup: :newtek:
Malorie

KevinL
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
So good, no crashing so far ....

Fairly heavy first workout. Naturally, I could have used this on my last model I just recently completed. Such is life :)

Kevin

Nicolas Jordan
01-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks Newtek! I feel like a Spioled kid with all these free toys! Vue Infinite 5 and now a great set of CAD tools. :thumbsup:

DigiLusionist
01-26-2006, 12:25 AM
I pre-ordered. Where do I download? Was the link in the last newsletter that was sent a couple of days ago? I read it, then deleted.

Scott_Blinn
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
I pre-ordered. Where do I download? Was the link in the last newsletter that was sent a couple of days ago? I read it, then deleted.

No, it's a new email I guess. I didn't get one yet either. Maybe they are sending them out in batches to keep the file servers from getting swamped?

Hook me up :newtek: !

DigiLusionist
01-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Okay, after clicking around, I found the banner for the download. But, it says you need the ten digit code from the Vue box. I won't get mine for another day ot two. But, if you have yours, Scott, go here:

http://reg.newtek.com/

Login and then click on the LWCAD banner.

kopperdrake
01-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Got my registration details in the email this morning :D

Man - this is Christmas all over again! And I love the fact that there are two versions in the zip file, one for LW8 and one for LW9 :D Only goes to show NewTek are working well with their plugin guys!

Ooh - am I allowed to be excited about all this yet? Please?

:D

Dunk

spec24
01-26-2006, 07:16 AM
maybe my crashing was related to my preset directory somehow :stumped: Seems everyone else is doing just fine. I'll give it another test drive tonight.

Gaze
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
No, it's a new email I guess. I didn't get one yet either. Maybe they are sending them out in batches to keep the file servers from getting swamped?

Hook me up :newtek: !I'm in San Diego also and I DIDN'T get the email either. I heard the news here about a download banner at the reg page. I know they have my correct address because it downloaded fine and I got the activation code email within a few seconds thereafter.

Installed fine and hasn't crashed at all so far. I did notice the installer wanted me to click the 'Uninstall' button to remove the LWCAD demo version first. At that point the 'Install' button became active and the real version loaded up. Go to 'Options' and activate with the code.

Lito
01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
LWCAD looks awesome. I only played with it for a short while. I just wanted to ask though, did the install application actually install anything for you? I installed with the install app and it put the modeler tabs in, but it didn't actually install any files. I had to manually copy the .p file and the presets into the proper directories. It was just kind of strange.

Scott_Blinn
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Okay, after clicking around, I found the banner for the download. But, it says you need the ten digit code from the Vue box. I won't get mine for another day ot two. But, if you have yours, Scott, go here:

http://reg.newtek.com/

Login and then click on the LWCAD banner.

Thanks for the link, I'm all set now! Won't get to play until tonight though...

hrgiger
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I played with the LWCAD tools all last night and a little bit again this morning before work. I even ran through the few tutorials that were provided on the website and in the program folder. I have not had any problems with this tool crashing, or modeler for that matter...

I'm very impressed with the tools. Just the way the snapping works and I love the interactive measurements and I really love the 2D boolean to create an outline which is great for extruding a floorplan. Also love the offset tool. I think I"ll probably be upgrading to LWCAD 2 once it's available. It just makes you really want more from modeler (meaning modelers tools could take note from this plug-in)

wp_capozzi
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, what a welcome set of tools. To the author of the plug in - excellent job! Thank you to Newtek for making this part of the path to LW9.

I had a crash related to the presets, looks like others have had a similar experience. Besides that, it was a smooth install and activation, and I am already putting the tools to practical use. An excellent enhancement to Modeler!

I'm excited to see what is next.

Thanks,
Bill C.
Dedicated Digital

Earl
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm very impressed with the tools. ... ... It just makes you really want more from modeler (meaning modelers tools could take note from this plug-in)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I wish all tools in Modeler had the option of interactively displaying offset, distance, angle, etc like the tools in LWCAD. I also wish all tools in modeler had all the available snapping functions. I bet Viktor Velicko could make some killer work plane tools too. This is definitely a case where I would be more than pleased if he were a part of the NewTek programming team. :goodluck:

wp_capozzi
01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Revisiting the preset crash problem, I changed my preset path to point directly to the local drive where Lightwave is, instead of looking to the network mapped drive.
The installer originally appended "Programs\presets" to the content directory I had Modeler set to. I had switched it to the mapped network drive, but had sluggish response and a crash when accessing the presets. It now seems stable and zippy after changing the preset path to use the local drive name.
It might help someone else to try it if there is a similar preset problem.

Regards,
Bill C.
Dedicated Digital

BeeVee
01-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Remember as well that LightWave allows you to remap keyboard shortcuts or menu entries, so there's nothing to stop you from using LWCAD's primitives and move functions and never using LightWave's again...

B

colkai
01-27-2006, 02:53 AM
I played with the LWCAD tools all last night and a little bit again this morning before work. I even ran through the few tutorials that were provided on the website and in the program folder. I have not had any problems with this tool crashing, or modeler for that matter...

Ditto, it is extremely stable, both on my 8.3 and 8.5 area, (don't ask - really! :p)

Loving playing with this, just need to spend some time getting familiar with the tools but I can already see how it is going to be a very useful addition to my toolkit. :hammer:

colkai
01-27-2006, 02:56 AM
Remember as well that LightWave allows you to remap keyboard shortcuts or menu entries, so there's nothing to stop you from using LWCAD's primitives and move functions and never using LightWave's again...

B

Okay, see, this is what I love about Newtek.
Here we have a Newtek guy telling us we can ignore their own functionality if we prefer. I doubt many people would be so open-minded.

(Oh, and before any naysayers jump on saying that is because the LW tools are sub-standard, my answer to that is 4/3rds Pi R cubed!) :p

Wickster
01-28-2006, 12:50 AM
How long does it take to get the LWCAD activation code?It's been 2 days and I still have not recieved my LWCAD Activation code. I tried resending still nothing. Is NT the ([email protected]) the one sending the Activation code? Coz I get status updates with no problems on my email. Is there any other way to re-register? I want to play with LWCAD so bad!!! :cry:

Mha8649
01-28-2006, 01:54 AM
If you have a road runner account you will not get your code somethings funny with road runner I had to use my msn account nt customer service is really awsome...very helpful. yes just use a free email such as yahoo and then go back to the registration page and enter your info again using the new email address.

Wickster
01-28-2006, 02:04 AM
If you have a road runner account you will not get your code somethings funny with road runner I had to use my msn account nt customer service is really awsome...very helpful. yes just use a free email such as yahoo and then go back to the registration page and enter your info again using the new email address.
Thanks!!! I had my email set at [email protected] and don't know why but I never recieved anything. switched it to one of my domain emails and got the code instantly.

Finally I can play with the masses! :D

DaveLEWIS
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Anyone here tried dloading LWcad from the Euro Newtek site yet. I have my activation code and clicked the link in the email:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/lwcad.asp

It's strange, but I don't see a download link anywhere on that page. Has anyone else had this problem?

DaveLEWIS

colkai
02-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I got my LWCAD from Newtek Europe, but in true time honoured senile old git mode, I can't recall the details exactly.
Heh, so just how much help am I Davey? :p ;)
I Can say I recieved the activation via EMail and it is NOT the LWCAD on the wtools menu, but a 'special' dual one. Just can't recall if I was sent a download link or if it came attached to an EMail. At work at the mo' so can't check my home PC.

DiedonD
02-23-2006, 05:46 AM
I havent installed the prog yet. Dont know weather is worth it. What does LWCAD that LW8.5 doesnt, that might help in character making, or roganic modeling as they say. ANything that would speed the modeling proces up?
If not, what?

colkai
02-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Oh trust me, it's well worth installing.
The documentation is somewhat lacking, but feature wise, you really have to admire this program.
If you build your models with splines, this is definitely going to help, just because it is pushed as a CAD tool do not let that decieve you.

It's spline and snapping functions are very good, as are it's other functions.
Install it, spned some time using it, get famimilar with it and trust me, you'll wonder how you got by without it. :)