* LWCAD v1.5 free for qualified LightWave owners
* LightWave/Vue bundle offer extended
* NewTek Live Tour
* MeniThings now hiring

We've also posted a new profile of Joe Zeff:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/profiles/JoeZeff

spec24
01-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Kurtis is the LW ID number the Serial number or the Lock ID?

nemac4
01-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah! :beerchug:
Thanks Newtek!

Kurtis
01-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Kurtis is the LW ID number the Serial number or the Lock ID?

"If you purchased LightWave 8, and are qualified for a free upgrade to LightWave 9, your LightWave ID number will be the 10-digit serial number found on your LightWave package and your Vue 5 Infinite package. If you pre-purchased the upgrade to LightWave 9, your LightWave ID number will be the 10-digit LightWave code on your Vue 5 Infinite package.

Please note, the 10-digit LightWave code on your Vue 5 Inifinite package is not your LightWave 9 serial number. You will receive your LightWave 9 serial number on the package you receive when LightWave 9 officially begins shipping."

spec24
01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Kurtis

mattclary
01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to get home to play with this!

MrWyatt
01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
wondering how far we are away from betatesting LW9. Hours? Days? Weeks?

counting the minutes from now on

:)

creacon
01-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Since I don't consider this to be a real status update I thought I'd ask the question myself.
Maybe Newtek could tell us some more, like if the complete feature list published on the website will be in the open Beta, will there be stuff missing?

A lot of users on the list are just impatient to see the new version but some people (like me) have to make some big decisions based on the outcome of the beta. The most important would be render speed and the screen based adaptive subdivision. node based shading would be welcome but TB_Shadertree already goes a long way. (but then maybe that's what's in 9)

The new issue of the LightWave 3D Newsletter has been

* LightWave 9 status update

http://www.lightwave3d.com/profiles/JoeZeff

gristle
01-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Dont know if you have seen how Bob McNeel runs the Rhino beta testing? Seems to work quite well because the software gets about 6 months as beta, free to be used by anyone that has the PRIOR version. They release a beta that expires in say 2 months. You can send in bug reports and they hopefully get fixed for the next 2 mth beta release. You do need to pay for the upgrade at the end of the beta process(if you want the upgrade). How long is the planned public(semi) beta test of Lightwave?

Cheers...

Panikos
01-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Its a relief, at least having something in front of you is preferable than a list of features.
:screwy:

Earl
01-26-2006, 08:59 AM
TB_Shadertree already goes a long way. (but then maybe that's what's in 9)
It's been stated (many times) that what's in LW 9 is NOT TB_Shadertree. It is an integrated and evolved form of Nodal (not the same thing at all).

juice
01-26-2006, 09:54 AM
It's been stated (many times) that what's in LW 9 is NOT TB_Shadertree. It is an integrated and evolved form of Nodal (not the same thing at all).

... Lightwave 9 is comming Q4 2005, and we have a beta after chrtistmas !

Nobody knows what is comming with the 9.0 in realety. Integrating the stuff in 9 can also mean some stuff comes with 9.5, and this is a long time to wait.

Newtek didnt like to talk much about Lightwave 9 till now, and this is what they want show
to us till now... LightWave 9.0 Demo Videos (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43942)

ufo3d
01-26-2006, 10:12 AM
LightWave 3D Newsletter - December 20, 2005
We still have a couple of key elements that need to be addressed before we can release and many bugs yet to kill.

LightWave 3D Newsletter - January 25, 2006

The program will begin once we have locked down our remaining issues, which will be very soon now.

Any difference? :rolleyes:
After 1 month, all we know is still very soon. How soon? And LW9 is not ready , even beta.
Can we have some useful info? And, can't we see a full feature list or feature video? are they very diffcult to make for NT? I do't want to be negative, but I am just tired to see such similar statment again.

Earl
01-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Nobody knows what is comming with the 9.0 in realety. Integrating the stuff in 9 can also mean some stuff comes with 9.5, and this is a long time to wait.

Well the node-based shading has been demo'd and the evidence of its inclusion in v9 can be seen in one of the demo videos posted in your link. I don't understand the paranoia.

TSpyrison
01-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Didn't I get that email a week ago.
Thanks again, for nothing.

Nice.. :thumbsdow

:twak:

juice
01-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Well the node-based shading has been demo'd and the evidence of its inclusion in v9 can be seen in one of the demo videos posted in your link. I don't understand the paranoia.

... newtek isnt talking about what they implement in the beta, and waiting for 9 can be a long time.

... and if there is someone making some big decisions based on the outcome of the beta!!
I mean Newtek isnt giving much information, dont know if he have so much time to wait for somthing not finished till now, to do his job.

TSpyrison
01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
... newtek isnt talking about what they implement in the beta, and waiting for 9 can be a long time.

... and if there is someone making some big decisions based on the outcome of the beta!!
I mean Newtek isnt giving much information, dont know if he have so much time to wait for somthing not finished till now, to do his job.

He shoudn't be waiting on unreleased software to do his job in the first place..

juice
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
He shoudn't be waiting on unreleased software to do his job in the first place..

... but Newtek is writing in the Newsletter:

The program will begin once we have locked down our remaining issues, which will be very soon now.

... which will be very soon now !!

hrgiger
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I'd have to agree with TSpy on that one, nobody should be basing their jobs on software that has not been released, not even fully beta tested, yet.

I'm just glad that we will be able to experience Lightwave 9 as a beta instead of waiting for all issues to be resolved which we still don't know how long that will take.

fyrissian
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm almost as interested in having a look at the revised docs as I am in playing with the new program.

(Wonder if the revised docs includes revised SDK Docs? hmm....)

-f-

james_dmi
01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Not sure what Iím doing wrong. I went to the newtek europe site and have re-registered my 9 upgrade twice now but I have seen no banners to download LWCad. I also went through the request activation code registration process on the same site. I guess I will get that tomorrow but I still wont have a download.

fyrissian
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi james,

I had some trouble locating it on the US site also. For the US site, it's right at the top of the screen as soon as I log into the registration page.

I was blindly clicking on the "Downloads" link without paying attention to the flashing banner at the top of the page.

Hope that helps.

CB_3D
01-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I find it kind of funny that the dreaded M**o word has actually made it into a Lightwave newsletter :thumbsup:

cagey5
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Not sure what Iím doing wrong. I went to the newtek europe site and have re-registered my 9 upgrade twice now but I have seen no banners to download LWCad. I also went through the request activation code registration process on the same site. I guess I will get that tomorrow but I still wont have a download.

Hi James.

Try going here.. http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?strana=download

Panikos
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I find it kind of funny that the dreaded M**o word has actually made it into a Lightwave newsletter :thumbsup:

Heh, also, other **** words, M**a, M*s**h. :D

Chuck
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
wondering how far we are away from betatesting LW9. Hours? Days? Weeks?

counting the minutes from now on

:)

We expect to be providing this information to eligible participants next week, barring any unforeseen circumstances. :)

Earl
01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
We expect to be providing this information to eligible participants next week, barring any unforeseen circumstances. :)
Cool, thanks Chuck!

StereoMike
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks Chuck. Really.
Just some words every now and then about how things are working out make my day.

juice
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM

this is a great news !!

Wickster
01-27-2006, 12:26 AM
So everybody hold your breath till next week! We don't want those unforseen circumstances to further push LW9. NO BREATHING OK!!!

creacon
01-27-2006, 01:59 AM
I wonder where you read in my mail that I couldn't do my job without the beta?

If LW9 is really 2.5X faster for all raytracing functions it has a very big influence on the size of a renderfarm and if you have adaptive subdivision you know that if you render something in SD and afterwards in HD that there won't be any extra work.

And don't be so fast to judge a person, I asked a question because I thought that the status update wasn't really a status update. But this was clearly not the right place to do it.

colkai
01-27-2006, 02:57 AM
So everybody hold your breath till next week! We don't want those unforseen circumstances to further push LW9. NO BREATHING OK!!!
..Turns red... GULP...turns Blue... wobble.....THUD! :p ;)

juice
01-27-2006, 03:06 AM
I wonder where you read in my mail that I couldn't do my job without the beta?

If LW9 is really 2.5X faster for all raytracing functions it has a very big influence on the size of a renderfarm and if you have adaptive subdivision you know that if you render something in SD and afterwards in HD that there won't be any extra work.

And don't be so fast to judge a person, I asked a question because I thought that the status update wasn't really a status update. But this was clearly not the right place to do it.

...we are speaking about if someone have to make a big decision.
Dont know where you read if someone says you didnt can do the job without 9 ??

juice
01-30-2006, 11:32 AM

... I hope the answer is not " We are happy to announce, the promised beta is comming very very soon now, ..." :beta:

Kurtis
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
No, we just don't you wandering off the path and stepping on any pre-historic butterflies. :D

colkai
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM
No, we just don't you wandering off the path and stepping on any pre-historic butterflies. :D
Hehe, now I'll wager I'm one of the very few to have actually seen that film. :p

Chris S. (Fez)
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I grew up reading and re-reading Ray Bradbury. I missed the movie though! What did you think of it, Colkai?

Anyway: :beta:

Panikos
01-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes, its something to know that we are close than know nothing.
All this agony, waiting is painful.
:(

I wish the release will be as solid as possible
with fine tuning here and there
This will terminate all speculations, rumors, arguments etc

TSpyrison
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Hehe, now I'll wager I'm one of the very few to have actually seen that film. :p

Totally went over my head..

Clueless here :)

juice
01-31-2006, 12:31 AM

Please,speak plain.
Many users like me supports you with our preordered money, and I feel Newtek is doing jokes and promises with it !?

MrWyatt
01-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Please,speak plain.
Many users like me supports you with our preordered money, and I feel Newtek is doing jokes and promises with it !?

come on juice,
curtis said the answer to when the beta will start will be given next, i.e. this week. We only have tuesday now and in Texas it should be in the midle of the night. I guess we should at least wait until thursday befor we get pissy again. Curtis never said we would get an answer on monday.

O.T. didnīt your location state Hamburg a few days ago?

juice
01-31-2006, 01:10 AM
... but Newtek only say :

Posted by Chuck:
We expect to be providing this information to eligible participants next week, barring any unforeseen circumstances

... we have informations this week when we can get Lightwave 9, this means nothing for me, and when we ask they answer with:

No, we just don't you wandering off the path and stepping on any pre-historic butterflies.

... and my problem is, I stick with lightwave, but for my job I need edges and Ngons actually,

@MrWyatt: ... my native location is Italy, and my last location was Germany

MrWyatt
01-31-2006, 01:18 AM
I understand you very good. I learned 3d with lightwave and use it for my personal projects, but the jobs I had that actually payed the bills were all maya jobs. So i was lucky to have tought it myself in uni, because in germany there are very few studios using Lightwave that I know of.

colkai
01-31-2006, 02:59 AM
I grew up reading and re-reading Ray Bradbury. I missed the movie though! What did you think of it, Colkai?
Heh, let's just say there is a very good reason fr it's performance at the box office. :p
IIRC - production cost $80 million. worldwide over 3 months, it failed to make $3 million back - Now that's a flop! ;)

EmperorPete
01-31-2006, 02:59 AM
I read the short story when I was at school. "A Sound of Thunder", wasn't it?

colkai
01-31-2006, 03:15 AM
The very one, shame really, the concept was great, the execution - Ahem, yes, well. ;)

Chris S. (Fez)
01-31-2006, 05:29 AM
Heh, let's just say there is a very good reason fr it's performance at the box office. :p
IIRC - production cost $80 million. worldwide over 3 months, it failed to make $3 million back - Now that's a flop! ;)

Ouch. I shouldn't have asked. Now, I can only blame my self when I rent it...

mattclary
01-31-2006, 05:38 AM
:hijack:

I blame poor marketing when movies flop that badly. Seems like I heard about the movie a LONG time ago, maybe when it was in production, but it went completely off my radar. Why is it that Hollywood pumps billions of dollars of sunshine up Tom Cruise's ***** when he has a movie come out, but things like "Serenity" get very little advertisemnt? "Serenity" was such an awesome movie, it deserved to be advertised more.

And what's up with Ben Kinglsey doing all the B movies now? I've never been a big fan of his, but he has taken on some real stinkers lately. He is supposed to be in Uwe Bolls "Dungeon Siege" movie.