PDA

View Full Version : Swirling vortex of text

moth0027
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice concerning a specific text effect I would like to create. The idea is for a website where clicking on a button causes letters to float out of an object (a paper bag) swirl around and settling in paragraphs of readable text. I would do this by hand if there was less text but it's quite a lot.

The easiest way I have thought of doing this is by working backwards. Text all laid out readable first and by using either soft or hard fx and a wind effector, make the letters break up swirl around and funnel into the bag.

Is this the best way of doing it? If so what is the best way of doing this considering all the text is on a single layer - at the minute most of my experiments cause the text to ripple like it was all on an invisible piece of paper rather then scatter the individual letters.

Also how do you funnel floating objects with wind - using a sticky wind which gradually scales down?

Anyway, any advice will help - even if it's just one piece I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance guys! You all rock! :jam:

Moth

SplineGod
01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Do you want the letters to stay intact as letters while swirling or do the letters themselves break up into particles? I did something similar in a quick test:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_text.mov

moth0027
01-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks SplineGod,

I like the effect you have created - Molten lava fusing to create the tempered lettering. Nice!

Here is a link to my most recent effort (remember, it's backwards!):

text_vortex_web.mov (http://www.pure-chemistry.com/lw_test/text_vortex_web.mov)

The plan was for the letters themselves to stay intact ie. It should look like the bag is full of letters. I should also mention too that the text has been tripled since I plan render it as a swf using Swift3D (3 and 4 sided polys only) - I'm not sure if this changes anything.

Basically I want more control over the wind so it picks up all the letters and puts them where they need to go but I don't want it to look too uniform and uninteresting.

Thanks again and while you are here - thanks for all your great tutorials - An indispensable pillar of the Lightwave Community!

Moth

SplineGod
01-25-2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks moth! :)
The method I used to create the particles forming into text is covered on a couple of CDs I have on Displacements and Endomorphs. I did use Hypervoxels but no particles. The whole animation is a single object and a single endomorph.
I took that same method and adapted it to do the text. Heres a test.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/text_swirl.mov

moth0027
01-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Wow! That's it!

...and you did this with morphs? I wouldn't have thought about using morphs to create this effect.

I assume the readable text is the base morph and broken up text is the morph target and then you deform it along a path? Hot or cold? I really need to address some of my Lightwave blind spots!

Mmmmm... may be worth a purchase of one or two of your training videos.

Just out of interest... Is it better to buy directly from your site or from Kurv studios considering I'm in the UK?

Thanks for all your help,

Moth

SplineGod
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks! :)
Since youre in the UK its probably faster to get it from KURV there.
The text isnt the base morph and in fact I can easily swap out the text with
another page of text and it will work. Its done using two morphs.
I like dynamics but I find that it sometimes takes more tweaking then I like. This method is quick and easy as well as being simple to control precisely. As far as the videos got I cant recall seeing any books or other training that covers this topic very well. I think theyre definatley worth it because it opens up a lot of possibilities. :)

moth0027
01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks SplineGod, I think I'll have a look at the KURV website then.

Is this technique covered in the videos? I only mention this since I still not 100% sure how you achieved this effect (and being able to swap the text around would be helpful too!)

Thanks again...

Moth

SplineGod
01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
The technique is covered in the videos along with several others. The first CD also covers everyplace in LW that you can use displacements and endomorphs including modeler. It includes several examples. The 2nd takes what you learn in the first one and builds upon that. Once you get an idea of what can be done it gets you thinking about just how many things can be done with the techniques covered. Also I support the videos in case you do have questions :)

moth0027
02-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Wow - I knew endomorphs were useful but I never knew how many applications they had throughout Lightwave. Great set of tutorials. I especially found the morph dynamics interesting.

One thing - since my brain is still trying to process all that information can I guess how you created that effect. Has it got something to do with using a null object effecting the strength (distance to object) of the morph with a procedural layer effecting the transition between the two (to create the broken up randomness effect as the letters swirl)?

Not sure if I explained it well but is this close? If not could you point me in the direction of the tutorial which is most suitable to creat this effect. Thanks and thanks again for the great tutorials!

...mmmm or is it done using morph dynamics...

...too many new possibilities!

Moth

SplineGod
02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Thats pretty much it. I also added bones and twisted them to make the text do the same :)

Thanks for the comments BTW. :)