PDA

View Full Version : to compress or not to compress!

JonnyGritt
05-14-2003, 11:06 AM
OK, I know this partly defeats the object of using an uncompressed system, but does anyone have any experience of using a VT with any other 3rd party Video editing cards.

We still use DV a great deal, and apart from the obvious benefit it can't be that efficient to use a software DV codec with the Toaster, particularly if the final media is any type of Mpeg 2 - DVD output. What about putting a Toaster in the same box with a Matrox RT2000 / RTX10 / XRT100 or any Canopus or Pinnacle solutions. Maybe just an Mpeg encoder card would do the job?

Any ideas?

John.

mgrusin
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
I use the mainactor DV codec ($50, www.mainconcept.com), and it encodes and decodes in realtime on a single P4 2.4GHz. There's no waiting at all when editing in DV format; it even scrubs nicely. Plus working with DV is kind on your storage space and disk bandwidth :D.

You would still have to wait for TMPGENC or your favorite MPEG2 converter to work, but that's only for the final burning render. As far as the Toaster itself is concerned you shouldn't have any problems. Or maybe I'm not understanding your concerns correctly?

-MG

ScorpioProd
05-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Yeah, it's better to avoid mixing hardware like that if you can help it. Especially the Matrox DV codec, that will not play well with Toaster. Canopus uses their own proprietary DV codec, which Toaster will read fine, but there isn't a way for Toaster to write directly to it, so you would have to convert, which isn't efficient.

With a high-end PC to host your T[2] in you wouldn't find much lacking on its own with the proper codec, which for DV is without question the Main Concept DV codec.

On my dual-Xeon 2.8GHz system I have no problem doing four streams of DV at a time. :)

I normally work with MC DV streams and PicVideo M-JPEG streams and don't have any problems. Actually, I use RTV less and less now that I have a really powerful host system.

Plus don't forget that T[3], which should be out of beta by mid-summer, has improved DV support for keeping clips compressed from deck to PC and only uncompressing them when needed.

JonnyGritt
05-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Yes that’s pretty much where I'm coming from. I'd really like to use DV throughout the Toaster workflow, but thought that software DV wouldn't work as well (quality??) or be as efficient as a hardware encoder card. Some of the Canopus, Matrox cards have conversion to Mpeg 2 in real-time, which would speed up hugely the DVD creation side. I was thinking of that more than some of the hardware’s other abilities such as video capture/output and 3D transitions.

Its great to get to the end of a project, but waiting the night to create a DVD can be a bit of a bind when everything else is working towards real-time.

John.