PDA

View Full Version : Lw9?

pooby
01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry, but I have Emailed newtek, and got no answer.. I wondered if there is some official statement i am not a party to. ? I see the other thread has been closed.. why's that?

Is the Beta on it's way?

I'm starting a short film.. I would quite like to know before I take my business elsewhere

mattclary
01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I see the other thread has been closed.. why's that?

Is the Beta on it's way?

1. Things got way out of hand with a lot of violation of forum policies.

2. Yes. You will be notified when it is time.
From Chuck:

Eligible participants will be receiving information about participating in the plan soon.

Earl
01-23-2006, 01:09 PM
What more is there to ask/discuss? NewTek has been very clear about the situation. LightWave v9.0 has been delayed. A public beta will start soon, and you will know exactly when it starts (via e-mail) if you are eligible to participate. There's no reason for a harass NewTek thread when they are working hard to release version 9.0 and have even rewarded those who pre-ordered with free software (worth hundreds of dollars). Name me any other software company in existence who has done that. NewTek's competitors sure haven't done anything that cool. :D

manimator
01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
I like to think that for everyday that passes. The Newtek team is working hard at bringing LW9 closer to perfection. Please take your time and get the job done right...is what i say. :thumbsup:

For the LW10 release......just surprise us!!!! :beerchug:

Wonderpup
01-23-2006, 02:12 PM
I think the thread that got closed kind of ran itself into the ground- and the Lw Cad thing was a nice gesture, so I guess it would seem really crass to start complaining now- how long this effect lasts is another question.

It would be nice to at least see a confirmed feature list- I still really have no idea what I have paid for- but I can see that there may be good reasons for not publishing a list before release- it may weaken the impact of the release itself.

Personaly i'm not expecting 9 to be groundbreaking stuff- what I am hoping for is to see an app with a great future, not just a great past, and I do feel Newtek will deliver on this count- though the waiting is painfull, I admit.

ufo3d
01-23-2006, 02:15 PM
The public beta will start soon , but we still don't have full feature list ?

pooby
01-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Other Software manufacturors have fallen over themselves to help. I've been given full trial copies of both Maya Unlimited and XSI Advanced and been given all the info I need, because both are interested in my project, yet the manufacturors of the one piece of software I have been using for 6 years and would like to use will not reply to my E-mails.

Chuck
01-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Please let me know what address you emailed, Pooby, and I'll have them locate your emails and reply with whatever information the team has currently cleared for release. You can PM me the information.

EmperorPete
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
The public beta will start soon , but we still don't have full feature list ?
So we'll have a nice surprise or two waiting for us ;)
*cant wait to get my hands on this bad boy*

spec24
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Please let me know what address you emailed, Pooby, and I'll have them locate your emails and reply with whatever information the team has currently cleared for release. You can PM me the information.

I don't know about others but Pooby seems to be having the same trouble I have always had in the past - customer service not replying. Chuck, you helped me out with this also (and it was certainly appreciated), but it seems that this issue should have been resolved. I was once chastised on these forums for actually complaining about this. My purchasing experience on Ver9 left a little to be desired as well. I'm only posting this as I feel this is an area that Newtek could improve to better relations with customers. I was awfully close to switching my software of choice due to this.

cc3d
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm starting a short film.. I would quite like to know before I take my business elsewhere

Are you waiting on LW9 to start your short film? If so, I can't tell you how bad an idea that is. Why not just start with 8.5 and move to 9 when it shows up? (and after your project as I would not upgrade in the middle)

I swear I don't know why NewTek even anounces releases anymore. It just turns into a big WHINE fest :dance:

prospector
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
but it's like a right of passage :D
we been doin it since the old BBS days with a 300 baud modem and every call was long distance. Other than playin with LW, for some of us, it's the only fun we have :thumbsup:

cc3d
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
but it's like a right of passage :D
we been doin it since the old BBS days with a 300 baud modem and every call was long distance. Other than playin with LW, for some of us, it's the only fun we have :thumbsup:

Same here, I was sending in stone tablets asking questions about the next release of Videoscape 3D, but it didn't help then either! 8~

slow67
01-24-2006, 01:06 AM
I have to wonder how long it will take for us who have not preordered to hear anything at all about 9, I assume there will be some sort of nda for the open beta testers? Will I get an email when the "Eligible participants" start trying it out? In theory it could be A long long while before "UNEligible participants" get to hear anything solid about features that will or will not be included in 9.

pooby
01-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Are you waiting on LW9 to start your short film? If so, I can't tell you how bad an idea that is. Why not just start with 8.5 and move to 9 when it shows up? (and after your project as I would not upgrade in the middle)

No I'm not waiting for LW9.. I just need to be assured that LW9 will be able to cope with certain aspects. Otherwise I'll have to switch right now to something else. There is no point me starting in LW8, only to switch later to Maya or XSI if I find out that LW9 can't cope.
That's not hard to understand is it?

My project is up to a year long with 3 people full time, It's costing me personally at least 50,000 so it's not something I'm taking lightly.

Chuck, thanks for answering. I appreciate it, really.

I will locate my E-mails when I get to work and re-send them

Wonderpup
01-24-2006, 02:31 AM
I swear I don't know why NewTek even anounces releases anymore. It just turns into a big WHINE fest

Newtek announces releases in advance in order to create interest and raise income from pre-order sales. The 'whineing' you refer to are the legitimate inquireys from those customers who have been invited to pre purchase as to the current situation regarding their now overdue order.

I admit these inquireys are probably pointless, but they arise directly from a situation created by Newtek themselves- so I don't see why you find it neccessery to insult those who make them.

mattclary
01-24-2006, 03:57 AM
No I'm not waiting for LW9.. I just need to be assured that LW9 will be able to cope with certain aspects. Otherwise I'll have to switch right now to something else. There is no point me starting in LW8, only to switch later to Maya or XSI if I find out that LW9 can't cope.
That's not hard to understand is it?

My project is up to a year long with 3 people full time, It's costing me personally at least 50,000 so it's not something I'm taking lightly.

Chuck, thanks for answering. I appreciate it, really.

I will locate my E-mails when I get to work and re-send them

So you have planned a project that you can't complete with the currently available software?

pooby
01-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Yes, of course I can complete it with currently available software.
I just don't know if I can complete it with LW alone and would prefer to know before I spend a lot of money on something else.

ColinCohen
01-24-2006, 05:40 AM

Best of luck! Blessed are the risk takers.

mattclary
01-24-2006, 06:42 AM
I just don't know if I can complete it with LW alone..

And you knew this when you decided to start the project? :devil:

pooby
01-24-2006, 07:11 AM
MattClary.. I haven't started it yet. I'm gearing up.

There is no point trying to make me think I'm stupid with your pointy remarks. I know full well what I'm doing and I have worked as a director in animation for a long long time.

ps.. Thanks Colin

Chuck
01-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Pooby's concerns are understandable and reasonable - launching into a new project, there may well be a reasonable indication given the planned elements of the project that there will be a need to expand the toolset during the progress of the project. You can predict that for certain tasks certain types of tools will be needed, and 8.5 is a known entity, so you know if is has them or not. We've provided a preliminary (subject to change without notice, etc.) feature list for version 9, so it is easy to tell if it has some of those tools - and if it does then you want to know if it will be sooner, later, or before the sun explodes.

Let's cut each other some slack. It isn't always necessary to debate the merits of every question.

kfinla
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey pooby, i know this is off topic, but can I ask if your funding a personal short?

I know its probably all top secert right now, I'm just interested in the project based on other work I've seen of yours.

-Ken

pooby
01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Ken,
Thanks for your interest

It's a 4-5 min Cartoon. I've been trying to get around to making a film since I left college, but I got into directing Tv commercials. It's time for a break from that world..Now it's about time to put my money where my mouth is.
I can't really go into details on what it's about though.. Maybe further down the line we'll show some stuff - It's too early days yet to talk about it.

Suffice to say it's the most exciting thing i've ever had the chance to do.

mattclary
01-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Let's cut each other some slack. It isn't always necessary to debate the merits of every question.

Sorry, just feeling testy. I wouldn't debate the merit of the question if it had not been chewed to death for the last two weeks.

pooby
01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't think changing the list is, in itself a bad thing..
We all want all those features and more, of course, but if something, say for example the implementation of the new SubD's in layout was delaying the whole show for months, I for one would prefer LW9 Now without the SubD's and get that bit in a point update later.

pooby
01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Ok Scenario 1.. We get LW9 now but another feature is added in June.

Scenario 2.. We wait till June to get it all at once.

We still end up with the same thing in June, but in my scenario, we get most of it early..

I don't understand why scenario 2 is better

colkai
01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
What a joke. What is that supposed to mean? :thumbsdow
Same thing it always means, subject to change, standard disclaimer.

Of course, if you don't want Newtek to add any further cool features that's up to you but I'm kinda greedy myself. I'm hoping they'll throw all sorts of fun stuff in there. :p

pooby
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I was just suggesting the first, and you thought the 2nd was better. It's all hypothetical..

Each to their own, but, remember that Newtek gave us the feature list in the first place. Whether LW9 is 'complete' or not is subjective and conditional on how you feel about that list.

krimpr
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
My impression is that the greatest feature for 9 will be the rewrite which will allow for major future functionality. I'm no programmer, but at the risk of stating a car analogy I do know that there are so many hacks and "modificatifications" that can be made to an assembly line before it becomes complicated and inefficient. At some point a shutdown and redesign is necessary otherwise competitors who are more on their game will eat you alive. While I dont think that this will be the most "feature packed with leading edge new tools" version of Lightwave, I think that perhaps it will be the most important release for quite some time. I'm hoping to see subsequent versions with native fluid simulation (see Flowline) and user-friendly UV tools that will allow Newtek to sit back on the top of the food chain. Just my opinion, not trying to feed the fire here.

Chuck
01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I agree with you there. That's why Chucks comment scared me!

The disclaimer has always been on the preliminary feature list page, for the same reason that every development company provides such a disclaimer with forward-looking statements - and I've read the ones that publicly traded companies have to use, and they are a lot scarier, and can sometimes end up longer than the press release they are appended to. Apologies that my making a jocular reference to something that's been there all along disturbed you.

cc3d
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I admit these inquireys are probably pointless, but they arise directly from a situation created by Newtek themselves- so I don't see why you find it neccessery to insult those who make them.

Please point-out exactly where I insulted somebody!

Wonderpup
01-25-2006, 02:38 AM
I swear I don't know why NewTek even anounces releases anymore. It just turns into a big WHINE fest

Who is doing the whineing?