PDA

View Full Version : bone rig animation done, how to link to model

vincent1
01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Greetings,

I did my bone rig animation on its own. Now how to link the bones to the model? The model is devoid of skelegons.

I tried replace the root with object, but the mesh wont conform properly with the bones deform on, With bones off, the model is in its default Da Vinci pose, but when I switch deform on and IK on, the mesh goes screwy and wont wont conform properly.

The model has weights and the bones are linked to the weights.

Basically what I have are plenty of bone rig animation done and I want to fit those animations to different characters, i.e. do one dance animation and have three DIFFERENT characters doing the SAME dance. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.

ercaxus
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Select the mesh that you want to deform, switch to bone mode (shift+b key) go to properties panel (p key).
All the way on the top you're going to see "Use Bones From Object" option and it has " (self)" selected. Change it to the object that has the bones/animation.
Good luck :D

Dodgy
01-23-2006, 03:23 AM
If the mesh is going screwy you need to REST the bones (select them all when they're in the davinci pose and press 'r').

vincent1
01-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the pointers, it got me thinking and I managed to finally key down the problem. The things that threw me off were:

1) To replace the mesh without causing crashes, you need to:

Switch Off IK, bones and deform buttons. Then only replace the mesh

2) The new mesh had weight maps mixed up, so the limbs went haywire. To check, I switch off weighting for all the bones. Lightwave threw me off here badly because when you turn weight maps for bones to none, it doesn't refresh the screen AT ALL. So i Thought it wasn't working. You have to scrub the timeline slider before the changes take effect.
Newtek should look into resolving this oversight.

Things should work nicely now.

Next Q: Since the different models are all variations from the same base mesh, how do I copy the weight maps from one mesh to the new mesh? Can this be done at one go? (Edit: the other meshes were modified before I created the weight maps on the original. I don't want to recreate weight maps for new meshes or transfer them one by one if it can be done)

Thanks people.

evenflcw
01-23-2006, 05:07 AM
If the point count and order is the same across variations I think the common workaround is to ...

1. Make one copy of the main mesh (with the weightmaps) for each variation.
2. Make the different variations morphs of the main mesh using 'Background to Morph'.
3. Then 'Apply Morph' so the morphs becomes the <base>. Delete morphs if you prefer as they are no longer needed.

After doing this you should have successfully made all your copies of the main mesh look like each of the variations and all these should now naturally also include the weightmaps the main mesh did (because they are all the main mesh, it just looks different).

If point count and order is not the same you will have to visit FLAY.com and look for 3rd party plugins. There is atleast one commercial plugin that is able to transfer weightmaps between nonequal meshes.

vincent1
01-24-2006, 04:21 AM
thanks for the info evenflcw. worked flawlessly.