PDA

View Full Version : Does IK Booster not work on the Mac

drclare
01-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi, I haven't noticed in any threads if this is the case, but I have just recently started playing around with IK Booster. It's a pretty cool tool, and I've had some minor success with it at work on a PC, but at home on my Mac, it is ridiculously slow, making it impossible to position bones. And then once it finally does start to react to your input, the calculations go all out of whack and you end up with a terribly disfigured bone chain. Anyone else notice this?

eblu
01-23-2006, 08:14 AM
yes.
which is why nobody is using/talking about it.

its neat, but it is sadly... a toy that gets in the way more often than not. even if it did work as expected, it works in its own little world excluding some serious "Must have" tools.

in my humble opinion:
IKBooster is another feature set added to lightwave just to pad the text on the box. it wasn't designed, or tested. Maybe in 5 years it will be useful, when Newtek gets around to blending its features into the app itself, but until then, its going to be ignored for the most part. This is almost exactly what happens with every new feature in LW. Each one is undermined by poor design/implementation, so that it only becomes useful several generations later. I stopped complaining about these "features" years ago. Not because I like them, but because I have been shouted down more times than i can count. I suspect I am part of the Quiet majority now, the users who are entrenched, have tools that work (for the most part), and don't mess with the new stuff, except in tests (to determine if the new feature is mature and reliable).

Dodgy
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I disagree. I can't say how it compares on the mac, but I've got so used to it I find it very nice to animate with. With each release of 8 it's had features added and been altered to improve workflow. It still has a few things it needs sorting, but on the whole I really really like it.

If you find slowing down, try closing the Graph editor and opening it again, I find this fixes the occasional slow down I get.

eblu
01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
?
so you haven't missed things like ik, constraints, a defacto place to set limits, or a consistent interface?
IKBooster is exactly like the original Graph editor on the mac. its great, unless you are seriously using it. Then it bogged down so much that it crashed Lightwave, or took so long to respond to your mouse movement that it always overshot your intentions. We're what? 5 releases down the line with the graph editor? and its still crashing Lightwave.

jeremyhardin
01-23-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah it's more than a tad slow on the mac, in my experience.

Dodgy
01-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I can use all those alongside IK booster, and I'll admit, it was quite tricksy when it was first added, but it has grown and is a valuable tool to me at least. The interface is one of those useful things :)

drclare
01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok, so it's not just me then. I do think it seems like a great tool, if i could get it to work. And that's exactly the problem eblu. It responds so slow to my mouse movements that by the time it caches up to me it has completely overshot where I was trying to position it, and goes out of whack. I still like standard IK though, what bothers me is that i can get IK booster working pretty reasonably on my PC at work. It just angers me that another feature is overlooked on the Mac side.