PDA

View Full Version : LW CAD free gift

Darth Mole
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone tried downloading this? On the Mac version, I can't get it to run at all. If I add the plug-in, LW quits when closing, so I can't save the prefs file, and if I try to use any tool at all, LW just bombs right out. Bang - gone.

I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but doesn't anyone at NT even check these things? A $200 free gift that destroys Modeler? Thanks a bundle.

I'm running LW8.5 on a rock-solid dual 2GHz G5 configuration. Every bloody program I have works perfectly...

All except one.

Yours, really, honestly running out of patience.

BazC
01-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Anyone tried downloading this? On the Mac version, I can't get it to run at all. If I add the plug-in, LW quits when closing, so I can't save the prefs file, and if I try to use any tool at all, LW just bombs right out. Bang - gone.

I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but doesn't anyone at NT even check these things? A $200 free gift that destroys Modeler? Thanks a bundle.

I'm running LW8.5 on a rock-solid dual 2GHz G5 configuration. Every bloody program I have works perfectly...

All except one.

Yours, really, honestly running out of patience.

I haven't thoroughly tested it but I can draw the primitives OK on LW8.5 OS10.3.9 1.25GHz G4.
Sorry to hear you're having problems. - Baz

paul summers
01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
From the newtek-europe.com

Note: LWCAD will run in demo mode until you get an activation number.

Did they test this on a Mac ? not a chance "no"

LW quits when closing "yes"

LW just bombs right out. Bang - gone "yes"

Anyone at NT check these things for the mac? "No"

Now I Have lost all hope in Newtek and LIGHTWAVE 3D

my next post will not be good news ?

Yours Paul :thumbsdow

archiea
01-21-2006, 04:02 PM
yeah, but we get x.5 updates for free!!!!! and the price of LW was cut nearly in half recently!!!! and we get free stuff like vue and LWcad!!!!! Isn't this Kewl!!!!! :rock:

(Sarcasm set to off)

Dodgy
01-21-2006, 06:25 PM

Did they test this on a Mac ? not a chance "no"

The plugin has been on sale for a year, and no-one's tried it on the mac? That seems unlikely to me... Unless no-one on the mac reported this problem?

bbuxton
01-21-2006, 07:05 PM
I received my license very quickly (just a few hours)

The toolset is really useful, especially the snaps.
One minor thing, the shape presets/libraries are crashing modeler. This effects Profiler, Engraver, Pattern 1D & Pattern 2D.
An OSX issue?

I can add my own presets, but if I miss a step.....crash. However once my own presets are there, all is good.

Basically don't install the presets/shape libraries & save often!

Darth Mole
01-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry if my original post sounded too critical, but even with 'free' software, I expect it to work. I was really excited to try out these new tools, but I'm afraid it was just business as usual.

LW is a constant source of disappointment and pretty much has been since v6.0. I hang in there expecting it to get better, and keep paying for the upgrades, but it just never really delivers.

I have no idea why LW CAD doesn't work - I'm not a programmer or a bug tester. Just an end user.

Celshader
01-22-2006, 03:57 AM
I have no idea why LW CAD doesn't work - I'm not a programmer or a bug tester. Just an end user.

As a newly licensed user of LWCAD, perhaps you should contact the plug-in's author for support:
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?strana=support

Dodgy
01-22-2006, 05:10 AM
Sorry if my original post sounded too critical, but even with 'free' software, I expect it to work.

I would expect it to work too, but the fact that it's been out for a year suggests one of two things:

1)It hasn't worked for the last year on the mac and no-one's reported it, either through not buying it or laziness.
2)It works fine on most macs and it's your particular machine's configuration that's the problem.

1 seems a bit unlikely don't you think? Or doesn't the mac community do cad work?

I'm not having a go, just trying to be logical. Either way, you should be posting your comments to the author, as he's more likely to be able to figure things out.

Maybe you should try deleting your configs and trying it installed on it's own, it could be another plugin interfering (A problem I've had before).

gerry_g
01-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Lightwave 8.5. OS10.4.4. Dual 2.7. Demo works, full license version works just fine too, read the readme, installation is a little fiddly requires activation from one of the buttons in the menu bar (LightwaveCad Options}.....worked just fine since the day I bought it, ouch!!

Darth Mole
01-23-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm only using it in demo mode - just downloaded it see what it was like. And my system is almost idnetical to yours. What gives?

gerry_g
01-23-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm only using it in demo mode - just downloaded it see what it was like. And my system is almost idnetical to yours. What gives?

Define not works
A/ Is the full menu loaded ie: has its own tab top of the screen(says LWCad}, when I loaded the demo I had to go into >'Menu Layout' and drag all of the modules button by button into a new tab and set it up myself, the readme told you how to do this, I did this so long ago it's hard to remember precisely but I'm pretty certain that the read me said it would/may not load properly on a Mac.
B/ Even if you are in demo mode you still had to activate LwCad with the LWCad prefs button and click demo mode first time out to run it.
C/ If its just a tool problem, all geometry must be in the sane layer for snapping to work, go look at the HTML tutorials and manual that comes with it

Darth Mole
01-23-2006, 05:58 AM
At work currently - will try it later. Seems odd that it should need it's own tab/menus in order to actially work (and not bomb Modeler) - but with LW I'm prepared to believe anything...

gerry_g
01-23-2006, 07:19 AM
LW_CAD_1.jpg LW_CAD_2.jpg

parm
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I got my activation code this evening. Everything except 'Ornaments 1' seems to work perfectly.

Removed 'Ornaments 1' from Programs> presets> shapeLibrary> lib 2d. And no probs so far, after half an hour or so playing around.

The file or something in the file must have become corrupted. No biggy.

I'm just over the moon with this. Using it, is just simplicity itself.

Chuck
01-23-2006, 04:07 PM

According to the developer, Viktor Velicko, the information on NewTek Europe's site is incorrect. The full version will not run in demo mode, it will only run when you have the activation key. There is a separate demo edition for download on the WTools site.

W-Tools
01-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Please read installation notes carefully first!
Follow the steps with manual installation and activation.

If you find any problems with Shape Library, use following procedure:

1. Reset default options in "LWCAD Options" panel, with "Default Settings" button.
2. Set proper Preset path with "Preset Path" button, if it is not already proper.
3. Exit LWCAD Option with OK button. It saves configuration.
4. Delete Shape Library directory in LightWave Preset directory.
5. Add Shape Library from installation package. Be sure you copy original files.
6. If problem with Shape Library remains, then repeat steps 1,2,3,4 without 5.
7. If there is still problem use [email protected]

Best Regards,
----------------------------------------------------
Viktor Velicko
W-Tools
www.wtools3d.com

Chuck
01-24-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks, Viktor! :)

TomT
01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Follow the steps with manual installation and activation.
Viktor Velicko
W-Tools
www.wtools3d.com

Thanks! Just the ticket.
-T