PDA

View Full Version : screamernet mode 2 usage poll

eblu
05-14-2003, 05:39 AM
hi kids,
this is an unscientific poll, to determine whether or not screamernet is being used as intended. please vote.

Matt
05-14-2003, 12:42 PM
I have to say for ages I just couldn't figure it out, the docs didn't make enough sense so I gave up.

:confused:

I recently came back to it with a new tutorial and _finally_ got it to work, now I wonder why it took me so long!!!

:rolleyes:

Once you crack it, you wonder what all the fuss was about!!!

:D

However the fact that some plugs don't work with it and procedural textures can render differently with different processors makes it in dire need of an update.

And please, this isn't the dark ages, or Windows 3.1, give it a PROPER UI!!!!! (Although I can see why having a command line side to it can be useful for scripting it etc.)

Matt

eblu
05-15-2003, 10:59 AM
i cant beleive 46 people have viewed this, but only 10 have voted...

guess i should have put an "i dont care" option

anyway... bump

JackDeL
05-16-2003, 11:25 AM
I've tried to use it but like many others, I had a devil of a time getting it to work! I'll try again sometime, like maybe after LW 8 is released!;)

mlinde
05-16-2003, 12:52 PM
I used SN with 5.6d, 6.5, and a couple of times with 7.5 in OS X.

FWIW, you can't help the processor-gradient issues unless your entire render farm uses the same processors (all G3 -or- all G4 -or- all PIII -or- all PIV) and no combinations. This can't be fixed by Newtek. It's an issue with how the processor computes the gradient, but I thought it was much improved from 5.6d.

In addition, SN has become more difficult since 5.6d. The command line structures changed, and the changes weren't documented.

m_luscombe
05-16-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure what to vote.

I bought the Screamernet Controller from Catalyst and control an OSX and XP machine with it. Very easy to setup and maintain. I render at 3 times the speed I used to.

Highly recommended.

Does that count as Mode2 screamernet?

Zarathustra
05-19-2003, 08:11 AM
How about a vote for "For the longest time I couldn't get it to work on OSX but now I can and so it will NOW play a major role in render intensive work"?

Ade
05-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Saddly I voted for the last option... Matt is also right we need a spanky UI.

Ade
05-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
I'm not sure what to vote.

I bought the Screamernet Controller from Catalyst and control an OSX and XP machine with it. Very easy to setup and maintain. I render at 3 times the speed I used to.

Highly recommended.

Does that count as Mode2 screamernet?
Only one node for free, this sux, they should make it upto 2 nodes free, so u can see how it works with a DP g4 and one g3.

eblu
05-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
How about a vote for "For the longest time I couldn't get it to work on OSX but now I can and so it will NOW play a major role in render intensive work"?

zar,
hrmmm.... I'd vote number 1 or 2 if i were you. Of course, in hindsight there should be an option like: Screamernet is difficult to setup/understand/maintain but its the only option for me, so i use it most/all of the time.

I think since you have stated your opinion in the thread, most people checking the poll, would take that into account.

interesting that (as of right now) 40% of mac users dont use screamernet... and they Want to. well, its still early, maybe that will change.

Zarathustra
05-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Fine. NOW I'm a "1", and pre-OSX I was a "1" but the 9 months or so in between I was a solid "4".

I posted my stumbles and eventual success at beating down SN and making it work, if anyone's interested:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4109&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

The trick for me was the specific pathway for job and ack, rather then just tacking them on at the end like you used to be able to do (and many tuts STILL say is fine).
I would have danced by moonlight and drank goat's blood, at one point, if I thought that would finally make it work. Luckily, I found an easier way.
One thing I tried but I can't do is have SN render solo, without Layout open. Oh well.

Ade
05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Needs to be more mac friendly.. We need choices..

eblu
05-20-2003, 01:23 PM
man, voter apathy is at an all time high isnt it?

lord
05-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Want to be able to render to PC's from my Mac without paying for a third party plugin/app.

Don't understand why SN's not a whole lot easier to use.

You shouldn't even have to think about it, let alone have to bend over backwards for the damn thing.

Admittedly I do have it running successfully on the single Mac so I can render in the background, but of course that takes up processing power on my wee mac and I'm not sure that it's worth it.

eblu
05-22-2003, 08:49 AM
bump:

celebrate your ability to choose... and then ****** about it in the thread ;)