PDA

View Full Version : Best LCD Display - Any PC users on Apple Cinema Display?

WesM
01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey All,
I am going to get a new monitor and I have been looking for a killer flat panel. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I am using a PC and my graphics card is 3dlabs Realism 200. I was thinking about using the Apple Cinema Display 23", but I was a concerned about the lack of monitor control for PC users. How would I control color profiles and stuff if its not supported by the OS.

Also thinking about the Dell UltraSharp 2405 FPW.

Thanks,

Wes

Mylenium
01-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey All,
I am going to get a new monitor and I have been looking for a killer flat panel. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I am using a PC and my graphics card is 3dlabs Realism 200. I was thinking about using the Apple Cinema Display 23", but I was a concerned about the lack of monitor control for PC users. How would I control color profiles and stuff if its not supported by the OS.

Also thinking about the Dell UltraSharp 2405 FPW.

Thanks,

Wes

You control color via the graphics card's drivers (which is more intuitive then hours of fidling with a monitors own menues anyway). The only downside is that Apple monitors don't display your PC's boot sequence - they don't have a built in chip to decode this type of lo-fi DOS mode signal (because obviously booting on MaCOS is handled differently). You'll always need a monitor that can manage this at hand should you need to re-install your OS or have to change a setting in your BIOS.

Mylenium

Red_Oddity
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Well Hyundai has some very good LCD monitors on the market right now, but if you're willing to wait, i believe BenQ comes with a 2ms grey-to-grey monitor pretty soon.
Also, if you're really have a big wallet and really need a good monitor with good color calibration, it might be wise to look at the pro lines Lacie offers.

steamthunk
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I recently bought the Samsung Syncmaster 204T. 20" and 1600x1200 display. Works very nicely and affordably priced.

WesM
01-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the posts. I am taking it into condsideration. My local Apple Store is going to lend us a demo of the cinema display so I can test it on my PC. I can post some thoughts if any one is interested. Also, I am looking at the Dell ultrasharp 24". Does anyone have any thoughts on this display?

Thanks,

Wes

habaŮero
01-25-2006, 07:28 AM
I'd say be careful about any offer from Dell towards delay of payment or financing. I read a lot of stories about people getting screwed on those, terms changed after the fact. Dell have a class action suit against them for it. Second, it is sometimes possible to barter with Dell on the phone, my friend got like 20% off a new ultralight lappy for no good reason just making the purchase over phone vs. over the net.

dmg3d
01-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Wes-

I went the exact opposite... I have a Mac and went with the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW. Excellent monitor. I spent over a week going through reviews and postings in both Mac and PC forums... both reviews and comments leaned toward the Dell.

pros: great picture quality; lots of inputs (card readers, USB, component/composite/s-video); plenty of controls on front; PIP; multi-adjustable stand

cons: very bright; no Firewire ports; says "Dell" on the front (well - a con for a Mac guy anyway); can't look it over before buying (unlike visiting an Apple Store)

I was leaning towards the Dell when the price was $1099 vs. Apple's $1299; but then Dell dropped the price to $899 with free shipping...

I think I've even read somewhere that both panels are created by the same manufacturer (Samsung?), just the extras (or lack of) that are different. The Apple is definitely a sexier case. The Dell seems more plastic-y. I didn't have any dead pixels or other "weirdness" that my eyes could pick up.

Google "2405FPW" and check out some of the reviews yourself.
Good luck.

Dave

Matt
01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
I have a 19" Sharp T19D1 which has been awesome, razor sharp with different colour temperatures under one button on the monitor. Excellent response time too.

I've been tempted recently to upgrade to a bigger, widescreen monitor, was thinking of an Apple one, but that BIOS thing has put me off completely, I would need to be able to edit the BIOS on startup.

M.A.S.
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm using 3 Dell 2405s as my actual wokspace, and couldn't be happier.

lesterfoster
02-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Have you looked at some of the LCD Tvís. I have a Benq 32Ē wide screen that I use for my computer monitor. Almost all of these Tvís can take in a vga single.http://www.digitalhome.com.au/images/store/05042110055668.jpg
And they are fantastic for watching movies on too.

Lightwolf
02-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I recently bought the Samsung Syncmaster 204T. 20" and 1600x1200 display. Works very nicely and affordably priced.
Yeah, me too. And you can get two of those for the price of a 23"...

One thing I'd do is to make sure to use DVI to hook up the display. The image quality will just be soooo much better.

Cheer,
Mike

nthused
02-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I too have a Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW. Absolutely love it. Handy Card Reader built-in too I use a lot with my digital camera. I compare monitors to computers as I would speakers to HiFi systems - spend 1/2 your budget on your monitor (speakers) - as it's what you work with day in and day out and will likely go through at least 2 computers before being replaced.

Good luck and have fun.

RedBull
02-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Apples look nice but are overpriced.....
Dells are great value for money....

And Acer have a new 24" Widescreen LCD, AL2416W which is meant to be a newer generation panel and has a 6ms as opposed to the 12 or 16 on the dell...

I believe you can buy 2x 24" Acers for the same price as 1x 23" Apple....
Not a hard choice for me personally.....

WesM
02-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey Guys
Thanks for all of the great replies! I was able to test drive a 23" Cinema display for 3 days and I was very impressed. I think I am going to go with the apple 23" just because I was able to test drive it and I know it works. Also, this is a company purchase, so its not coming out of my pocket. I wish I could test the dell monitor. I think the dell is a better deal for the money. I read the reviews and they seem like the same monitor. I know the mac display is a good monitor because of the test drive. Our graphics department are all getting the cinema displays, so I would hate to go with the dell and then see a big difference between the the two. Ahhh, I am just thinking to much about it.

Thanks for the help!

Wes

stargatesg1
02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Mine is an apple cinema display 20 inch shows bios fine. No issues plug it in and it works.

Typeboy
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I can get the 30' Cinema display for really cheap, can anyone else confirm that is shows the boot screens, because if it doesnt, it would be close to worthless.

stargatesg1
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I see my bios on my dual xeon no problem. never had any issues with this DVI montior since day one.. its been great!
using a x5da8 supermicro board.