PDA

View Full Version : What's that tune?

Van Huzendt
01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi,
Anyone remembers when Lightwave 5.6 was released back in 1998 or 99, it came with this cool demo reel? There was a techno kinda music in the background. Sort of chemical brothers like. Anyone came across that? Any idea of the title of the music or the performers? The reel had Area 51's stuff, Animated Andre Aggasi, M&M commercial etc...I've searching for this piece for the last 5 years!!

Cheers!!

Van, Coventry
:lwicon:

lardbros
01-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, i've got that video still and was wondering who did the music. Sounds a bit like Apollo 440, but i did a Shazam music find thing using my mobile phone and playing the music into it, and it came up with UNKNOWN: "Boom"

They couldn't give me the artist, so the track is called Boom. Great, doesn't help too much.

Maybe asking Newtek might help.

Kurtis
01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't know if there's still anyone here who would know.

I have a collection of the old reels at home. Tell me what was on the label, and I'll see if I have it and can find out.

lardbros
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I got the showreel with a magazine here in the UK, on the covermounted disc, so it wasn't a Newtek disc. It's bugging me now, and i know the music was used on a kids tv programme too, shown here in the UK on channel four.

The file i have was made on august the 28th 1998 and i got it on my magazine in '98 or '99. Such a good reel too, even though it's 8 years old, the work is still outstanding.

Would be cool if you could find out though! :thumbsup:

Celshader
01-20-2006, 05:05 PM
I got the showreel with a magazine here in the UK, on the covermounted disc, so it wasn't a Newtek disc. It's bugging me now, and i know the music was used on a kids tv programme too, shown here in the UK on channel four.

The file i have was made on august the 28th 1998 and i got it on my magazine in '98 or '99. Such a good reel too, even though it's 8 years old, the work is still outstanding.

Would be cool if you could find out though! :thumbsup:

:agree: I've wanted to learn the name of that track for years. I hear it pop up now and then in radio commercials, and it's a stirring techno track.

I still remember one of the opening shots of that 5.6 reel: HyperVoxel bubbles rising against a green background.

Kurtis
02-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry to report, no luck. I'll keep an ear out though, in case anyone else ever brings it up.

marble_sheep
02-02-2006, 09:03 AM
While I haven't seen the reel in question, I can totally sympathize with the frustration of hearing a song somewhere then never being able to find it again!

Does anyone have an uploadable version of that video? There's a guy here at work that knows all kinds of techno, and if I could play it for him he might recognize it.

TSpyrison
02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't know if there's still anyone here who would know.

I have a collection of the old reels at home. Tell me what was on the label, and I'll see if I have it and can find out.

:hijack:

I would LOVE if I could download the demo tape for the Amiga Toaster 2.0 (back in 91?).. I used to have the tape. Couldn't tell you where it is now, nor do I have a VCR to play a tape on nowadays...

prospector
02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
That's not the 'freedom' tape is it?

Elmar Moelzer
02-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey, if you mean the LW6.0- demo- reel (the one with the interviews with Chris Blyth from DD, John Teska from Foundation and Brian J. Blevins from Flat Earth), I have that one here. I could upload it on an FTP somewhere, if people are interested.
CU
Elmar

TSpyrison
02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
The one with Ken Nordine..
"PARADIGM SHIFT" I think it was called back then, is the one I'm looking for.

Started out with an old sepia tone globe, turning into a full color earth at the begining..

Sorry I dont know the tune for the 5.6 version..

NanoGator
02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Hmmm.. I'm a Rhapsody subscriber. Chances are I have access to this song, but there are tons and tons of songs called 'BOOM'. If I could hear a sample of it I could probably locate it fairly quickly.

lardbros
02-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey guys and gals... i'm JUST uploading the movie to my site, and will put the link here so it should be ready in around 30 mins or so. Just hoping that this movie is the same one you are talking about.

Anyway, as a side note, if noone can figure this tune out:

The show on UK telly that used the tune as the opening theme was called "Wise-Up" and used to be on channel four (UK) in sort of the same time as this LW vid was done. So if noone can find out, try giving channel 4 a ring and asking who worked on the show. It won tonnes of awards at the time, for being so informative to kids, so someone is bound to know who worked on the sound! Looking forward to finding out what it is.... to me it still sounds like Apollo 440.

Here's the link:

http://www.lairdsquared.co.uk/videos/Lightwave 1998.mov