PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the dumb question...

exit6
01-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm trying to use this plug in and the manual tells me to "Open Fire&Smoke Control Center from Generics pop-up menu." I've been using LW for years and I don't know what the Generics pop-up menu is. Little help? Thanks --

exit6
01-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Also, is there a shortcut key to calculate frames? The part of the plug in's interface that has the calculate button is in the missing pop up window, so I keep having to remove the thing then add it again to make any changes.

ACLOBO
01-19-2006, 11:56 PM
what version are you using? More info on what you are doing would be helpful...

Fire and Smoke? That sounds like a PRESET setting. You can activate the HYPERVOXEL presets window after you have activated Hypervoxels. Take a look at my screenshot...

-Adrian

exit6
01-20-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm using LW 8 on a Mac. I'm trying out this plug in called "Fire & Smoke Generator" by Pawel Olas, click here (http://polas.net/smoke/index.php) . It's a particle generator for simulating fire and smoke, easier to work with than LW's native stuff.
So in the "manual" (which is a single HTML page), he says "Open Fire&Smoke Control Center from Generics pop-up menu." For the life of me I can't figure out what he means by "Generics," and I've looked in the help file and the pdf. He may be on an older version.

ACLOBO
01-20-2006, 02:50 AM
alrighty a little more information helps.....

OK, I don't have fire and smoke by polas...

however, I believe he is referring to the Generic plugin directory... I will show a screen shot of where to look. You have to add plug-in after you start layout and then go to (probably) this menu to find it.

Not sure what he means by generic, but if it is a plug-in, it should be found in one of the listed areas..

Here's an idea, why not email Polas about your troubles.. Since you are using a third-party plug-in, ask the maker.

-Adrian

Dodgy
01-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Master plugins (as illustrated in ACLOBO's pic) are different to generic plugins.
Master plugins run all the time LW is active.
Generic are one off commands which do something then finish. Generic plugins can be used to open an interface to a Master, so you don't have to go to the Master plugin list window, or they can do something on their own.

Examples of Master plugins are motion mixer, the scene editor and other plugins which you have open while you're working. These are only accessible from the Master Plugin list (but as i say, you might have a companion Generic plugin which all it does is open the Master Plugin interface).

Examples of Generic plugins are found usually in the Utilities>Plugins>Additional list, like Add Camera Mask, Add Effector, Content Manager etc. You can also move them around and put them in any menus.

mattclary
01-20-2006, 05:04 AM
You may also need to manually add the plugin or scan the directory it's in to make it avaiilable. As Dodgy said, you can then edit your menu layout and add it as a button wherever you like. Until you do that it will probably remain buried in the location he specified also.

Edit:
My guess is he wrote this using 7.x

exit6
01-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I think that's the answer -- he was on 7.5. I happen to have an older copy, and low and behold there it was. So I guess the question is, where is that panel now?

exit6
01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
So I called Newtek and they told me what to do -- go to configure menus, find the plug in and put it wherever I like. Thanks for your help!