PDA

View Full Version : Why am I selecting extra polys?

cking74
01-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Howdy all,
I am an extreme newbie and have faithfully been following all the tutorials I can get my hands on. In trying to duplicate the dragon tutorial, I am consistently shown double the # of polys I have selected. If I see 8 selected, it shows on "set" (lower left} that I have 16. Can anyone help??

prospector
01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
do a 'merge points' and then 'unify polys'

cking74
01-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I did the merge points but I cannot find the "unify poys" tool. Is it a plugin? I'm sure there is an obvious answer, and hopefully I won't feel like a complete moron. Why didn't he use those tools on the tutorial? Thanks again.

gjjackson
01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
If you're trying to select in a flat viewport the points behind will be selected also. If you want to avoid that you'll have to use the perspective viewport. This would apply to polys also. But if you encircle those from the side it will deselect those that are not needed.

spec24
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
also make sure symmetry mode is not active as this will select the same things on the other side of the YZ plane and you might get twice the amount you think you're selecting - depending on if you can see your selection :) Just a thought.

cking74
01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Okay, now I'm beginning to think I need to reinstall LW. I've tried all the advice on this page and STILL (even in perspective) when I see 2 polys selected, LW tells me I have 4 in my set. If I see 4, it shows me 8, and so on and so forth. Software problem or user stupidity? It makes it impossible to use the bridge tool correctly. Can someone duplicate this & tell me what I am doing wrong?:
Box tool (Numeric/Default)
Sub.D Surfaces (Tab)
Subdivide Polys (Shift-D)
Metaform
Copy/Paste/Move (seperate spheres)
THEN... When I select 4 polys from each sphere (there SHOULD be 8) I am shown that I Have 16 selected even though I only see the 8 lit!!! I'm not too frustrated yet, but I AM starting to think my comp might look better with my foot in the monitor. LOL. Really, please, someone help.

WeAreTheLeeches
01-21-2006, 03:02 AM
when you select your polys press "shift-a" and it will zoom in on your selection. you will then see what other polys you have selected and you may be able to solve your problem

geothefaust
01-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Is this happening even when you create new geometry? That's really strange, if so. I can't think of what would cause that, unless you have extra geometry under your other poly's.

RBOZ004
01-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Possibly you may have pasted a copy of your object on top of itself. It's quite easy to do this by mistake if you're doing a fair bit of copy-pasting and accidentally press ctrl+v twice.

This would account for you finding two polys where you expected only one.

GregMalick
01-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Extreme noobie,
Are you in Wireframe or Color Wireframe mode?
That would do it when you select polygons.

Also, what version of LW are you using?
I seem to remember a selection bug in an earlier version.