PDA

View Full Version : What's up with 9 !?

Emmanuel
01-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi,

so will we get any news at all for 9 this month ?
I mean, the videos Proton did can not be all the highlights for this "groundbreaking release", right ?
Hey, look what Brad P. does on Fridays over at lux, and compare that to our "news flow".
Come on, NewTek, where's the pudding !!!

sudac20
01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Agreed, and how about some info about Z-brush support. Don’t give me interactive subdivisions according to camera distance/angle… Will light wave 9 support Z-brush or not?

My work flow used to be lightwave and photoshop, that’s all I needed. I could create anything I could dream up. Now I use Modo to model, Z-brush for texturing/detail, motionbuilder for animation… My point is I love lightwave but I am having a really hard time not switching apps. I have to keep buying other programs to makeup for lightwave’s shortcomings. I can live with using multiple tools to get the work done, what I cannot live with is the fact the LW does not play nice with these tools.

My fingers are crossed while I await LW 9. Let’s hope for the best.

Celshader
01-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Agreed, and how about some info about Z-brush support. Don’t give me interactive subdivisions according to camera distance/angle… Will light wave 9 support Z-brush or not?

From http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php ("Material Shader Node Graph" section)

"Normal Maps from Z Brush 2 Supported"

CB_3D
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
When it comes to ZB support i guess what most people are waiting for is eficient dispalcement support for professional high resolution work.

Normalmapping is nice and all, but that´s not the main advantage of using ZB.

And i really hope we won´t see Lynx´s Displacement plugin replacing LWs original one. Displacements HAVE to be a surface property, and they have to be fast and reliable.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-19-2006, 02:02 PM
When it comes to ZB support i guess what most people are waiting for is eficient dispalcement support for professional high resolution work.

Normalmapping is nice and all, but that´s not the main advantage of using ZB.

And i really hope we won´t see Lynx´s Displacement plugin replacing LWs original one. Displacements HAVE to be a surface property, and they have to be fast and reliable.

Agree, but I hope Newtek makes sure 9 still supports Lynx's displacement. I use it all the time and it is nice being able to adjust displacements directly in the viewport.

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I know if it goes the route of the other thread, I'd request it.
Sniping and attempting to goad them to bend to your will isn't going to work.

If you've seen no news about [9], there is none. What's so hard to understand about that?!? If you have 8.x, 7.x, or what have you, go make money!!

This one looks ripe for deletion! :jester:
-Harold

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Well,
Because I attempt to act reasonable, even when I'm not happy about something. I guess I'm old enough, as well, to know that the work they are doing to repair from the sabotage they were subjected to by the same person lauded in the initial thread is quite a daunting task. Particularly since that fellows work isn't their competition: it's the better, more established companies out there they are trying to beat. Hel1, NT GAVE them their start. (Was stolen, I'd say but that's not appropriate.)

So, Harold, I guess I'm saying that over the past three plus years of this SugarHoneyIcedTea, that I've matured enough to know that the Stewarts of LW actually care about the product they are providing. LW had been abandoned for 2 years prior to that while the company (people) lauded at the beginning of this thread were ripping you, your biz partner and the rest of us off.

So, there's where my disgruntlement is. I have some for NT, too, but, again, I've figured out how to speak my peace, get what I need, and not feel like I'm pooping in someones cream of wheat.

Back to the Wave. 8.5, that is. :boogiedow :goodluck:

Kurtis
01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Please, let's not fill up the forums with additional threads asking what's going on with LightWave 9. There's already one at the top of this forum. It's a sticky. There's another thread that is a sticky at the top of the General Discussion forum.

When there are new announcements, they will be posted either in those threads or in new ones that will be sticky as well. As always, further announcements will also be sent out as email blasts to all registered owners, in the email newsletter, and on several of the other CG forums.