PDA

View Full Version : Help with ClothFX Settings

WesM
01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey,
I have been working on animating a character with clothes dynamics. It has been driving me crazy. Can someone please take a look at my settings and let me know what I am doing wrong. I am including a scene with a proxy object that I am using for the cloth simulation. I just can't figure this out.

Thanks,

Wes

Celshader
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I just opened up this scene...and the first thing that I noticed was that the points of the clothing are not evenly spaced apart in a grid pattern. ClothFX loves evenly spaced grid patterns, since polygonal edges represent Spring forces. A friend of mine recently had grief with a trenchcoat, because he used a qemLossed trenchcoat instead of a trenchcoat with cleanly laid out geometry.

Another issue: the collision object is not tripled, yet it is deforming. ClothFX hates colliding against non-planar polygons. I learned this the hard way.

I'll see what I can do...

Celshader
01-19-2006, 12:45 AM
For what it's worth, here's a test I did using SoftFX on the clothing. I experimented with ClothFX, but the character moves so fast and the clothing's so form-fitting, I think I'd need a weekend to figure out nice ClothFX settings. Part of me was tempted to time-stretch the scene so I could calculate on the character in slow-motion, then use Local playback in the ClothFX tab to play back the MDD file in the original scene at twice the speed it was calculated.

I figured I'd see how far I could take it with SoftFX, though. I like the way the shirt turned out, but I'm not sure about the pants.

The pants and shirt are separate object layers, now, allowing me to apply individual SoftFX settings. I made the pants more wiggly than the shirt in the SoftFX->Operator tab, which lets you set the number of bounces/overshoots and the overall duration of the bounces/overshoots. I created a weightmap called "SleevesLegs" to restrict the SoftFX deformations to the points marked on the weightmap.

There is no collision detection involved, so I went to the SoftFX->Deform tab and restricted the shirt's deformations to "NV Front." This means SoftFX can only move the points of the shirt between their original undeformed positions and forwards in the direction of their normal vectors. Because they cannot move backwards along their normal vectors, they almost never intersect with the body object. I also used SoftFX->Deform->Resize to further tweak the clothing, and adjusted the Limit Size until it stopped intersecting with the character altogether (1.15m).

The pant legs have a similar "NV Front" restriction in the Deform tab, but I dropped the Limit Ratio to 75% from its default of 100%. In this way, the Vector Limit restrictions don't completely override the movement of the points. They're allowed to move in other directions, too, just at a fraction of the distance that they'd normally go.

I hope this helps a bit...

WesM
01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Celshader,
WOW!!!! That is awesome! Thank you so much for all of the work you did and for the fantastic explanation!!!! I really appreciate all of your help. I will definitely pick apart that scene until I understand it.

I have always had so much trouble with dynamics. I have read tutorials and even bought a training DVD. I am learning more from your example than any other tutorial!

Thank you very much! :)

Wes

Celshader
01-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Thank you very much! :)

Glad I could help. :)

If you have some free time, visit my Dynamics gallery (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/) for more content examples. I don't have clothing examples for downloading just yet, though. :o