PDA

View Full Version : How much time will the TriCaster record

rmarcroft
01-18-2006, 06:44 PM
On page 10 of the Tricaster Manual it states that about six hours of video storage is available. On Page 29 the manual states that there is enough space for more that 12 hours of video. Which one is it ??? I sure hope it's that latter number as I've go an 8 hour program to record.

JumboCast
01-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I think someone from NewTek should probably jump in here, but I fear that Page 29 is wrong. As I recall, the NewTek codec provides *about* the same compression rate as DV, which takes up about 17GB/hour. (This fits with my recollection of several of our 2-3 hour games, which take up 30-45GB each.)

120GB/17GB = about seven hours.

Now, you could do several things. You could attach a larger external hard drive to perform the capture. You could stop recording briefly (because if you're recording HQ on the TriCaster, you're not also webcasting, as we know!) and redirect the output to the C: drive, which I believe is a 60GB drive (not as much free space on it, but might be the difference between recording 6ish and 8ish hours).

Just some thoughts.

Steve Clay
JumboCast
http://www.jumbocast.com

Paul Lara
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, that was an oversight in the manual. My apologies.
We conservatively estimate 6 hours, though as Steve has suggested, it exceeds 6 hours.

Ditto what he said about recording to external devices.

rmarcroft
01-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Thank You for your answers. I'll use a larger external harddrive to capture.

Ron Marcroft

amiga2091
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Be careful when your drive on the TriCaster has only a few hundreds megs left on it. I maxed out Tech Support's a few times and when it gets really low on space, it starts to record a frame at a time and no more clips.

John

JumboCast
01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
And of course, the worst is when you fill it up completely, as the TriCaster freezes and the recording stays in its temporary format (and although I've found the files, I haven't for the life of me been able to revive them). It does still produce an output, though, if you're streaming externally.

Sorry if it sounds like a complaint. I guess it is. I've had the same problem with RealMedia temporary files when the encoding machine has frozen -- temp files with little hope of finishing them.

While I brought it up, does anyone know of a good way to "finish" the TriCaster's temporary files? Someone suggested renaming them to .avi a while back, and that did not work.

Steve Clay
JumboCast

John Perkins
01-22-2006, 09:07 PM
AVI's can't play when they aren't "closed", kind of like a DVD. MPEG and some streaming formats can play incomplete, but not usually avi.

Try a utility for people that download movies. They often get corrupted or only get part of the file and have to fix them.

http://files.divx-digest.com/software/edit/AviFiXP-Setup-en.exe

I can't guarantee it, but in theory it should work.

JumboCast
01-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Cool! Thanks -- will try. 'Theory' is better than 'AAAAAAAAUGH!'

-steve

D3Cast
02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
:thumbsdow No dice. I keep getting "The file is not an .avi file."

-steve