PDA

View Full Version : Best Cities to Find Work in 3D?

Joebob
01-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Hello. I've got my associate's in computer animation, and would like to find out where are the best places to find work. An old friend of mine who's a graphic designer told me to pick a place where you want to live, move there, network, and get a job there. So where are the best places? I've heard southern California and Florida so far, any other places? Specific cities maybe?

toby
01-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Los Angeles by far. Especially if you are a Lightwaver :

http://www.lalightwave.com/studios.htm

AbnRanger
01-18-2006, 11:10 PM
New York is another major player, but one thing you may want to try is to have your demo reel ready for Siggraph '06, where you can speak w/ rep's from many of the major studios, in one place.

mattclary
01-19-2006, 05:20 AM
I know this will probably come as a shock, but you can scratch Tallahassee, Fl. off your list. :cry:

Iaian7
01-19-2006, 11:22 AM
What about Vancouver? The television industry seems to be really booming, and quite a few of the effects houses there are using Lightwave. Anyone know more about the situation, or even better, currently living there?

Kurtis
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I think you should probably specify the kind of work you're willing to do.

If you just want to do 3D, your friend has given you some really good advice. If you want to do something high profile like VFX or entertainment animation, your choices are going to be much more limited.

Coming from Houston, it may not seem that there was a lot of work to do there in 3D, but I spent several years doing illustrations for oilfield training material. Houston has a good market for 3D artists, but not much of it is going to be in the entertainment industry. It's going to be in architecture, oilfield, and medical rendering, and it helps to network if you want to find the work. None of it is "glamorous", but you can work steady and make some good money if you're willing to do it. At the very least, it will let you get some resume experience.

That's not to say Houston is completely without an entertainment industry, there are some game companies, I worked for one there for about a year, and you can always look for work at local TV affiliates.

You need to decide what work you're willing to do, where you want to live, and which is more important.

lesford
01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Iaian,

You need to be more clear about what kind of work you are talking about. I am in Vancouver, but I work in production as a playback animator, so I know very little about post-production, VFX, or the games business. I have worked in film and television here since the late eighties.

In general terms though, I can say that this year the IATSE contract is up for negotiation. If past performance is any indication, the producers stay away for a while in order to make everyone a little more hungry. We also currently have a very right-wing government (The same government that eliminated overtime pay in the game industry) that is injecting itself into the process by making threats to the unions.

I myself do not work through the unions, but the work and wage standards that they set ripple through the entire industry and effect us all, so I get concerned when the government starts to interfere in a process that is clearly already working.

This might not be the year to move to our fair city looking for work. You might want to wait until next year, after the blood is spilled. It is important to recognise that the business runs in cycles.

Les Ford

mattclary
01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
You need to decide what work you're willing to do

I heard ILM is hiring a fluffer, at least it's a foot in the door. :dance:

Wickster
01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
San Diego is not a good idea either. Super high house prices, super high cost of living, Traffic is booming, a lot of competition with no jobs to compete for...i'm still wondering I still live here...oh yeah good weather.

If you plan to do film then the L.A., Orange County area is pretty good. If you want to do games then Northern California are like San Francisco and San Jose are good. Else you can always go to a small unknown town with one TV station and monopolize the 3D industry.

In terms of other countries, some Asian countries are just starting to ramp up their 3D/FX industry. Aside from the language barrier you might be able to land a pretty good position there. Which I'm seriously considering.

Tom Wood
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
There's this list:

http://www.aidb.com/