PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave object to Max8 problem

CB_3D
01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi friends.

I am using fbx to export a complex (Many bitmap textures) object to max for a colaboration with a max user.

The exported fbx file imports fine back into Lightwave, with the bitmaps applied as it should be.

In Max, however, it imports without the bitmap textures. UV coordinates seem to be there. Is that normal in Max, do bitmaps have to be re-applied on imported fbx objects?

Thx

Chris S. (Fez)
01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I seem to remember bitmaps were imported into 7, however, I never trusted the default material that was applied to the imported LWO and always reapplied the texture anyway.

If you are rendering the imported FBX in Max, be aware that when you import an FBX file into max it will change the ambient lighting in MAX to gray (which should always be set to black). Change the ambient back to black in the environment box.

Lewis
01-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Hmm CB_3D, did you tryed with OBJ export ? AFAIR it keeps UV maps in place but if you use just planar maps then i don't know how to translate automatically.

CB_3D
01-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Hmm CB_3D, did you tryed with OBJ export ? AFAIR it keeps UV maps in place but if you use just planar maps then i don't know how to translate automatically.

thx chris.

Lewis, the uvs are intact in the fbx, the problem is that the images donīt load into the material slot when importing.

As far as i know *.obj doesnīt export bitmap assignments, at least not from Modeler.

Lewis
01-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Hmm so you want to say tha toyu have on sam emodel UVmpas and Planar maps or i mixed soemthing in your question :).

I was transalting some LWOs to OBJs with applied UVs (Jpegs set wiht UV_map) and they were loaded in Maya with all images normaly but i can't say for MAX. That's why i just suggested to try with OBJ to se is there any difference.

I Also tested many times with my 3D object converter (Deep Exploration) and it loads images for OBJ file IF they are in same directory as object (not if they are in images or textures directory, jus tin same root where *.OBJ is.

CB_3D
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, as i said, UVs are intact. Itīs just that the texturemaps arenīt imported..have top apply them manually.

Havenīt tried multiple UVs in one mesh, yet. Hope that works, also.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I know that multiple UV sets are not supported (in 7 anyway).

Unless they have upgraded the format, you will have to import the object twice and manually copy and paste the mapping channels from one to the other (ie. copy mapping channel 1 to mapping channel 3).

Dodgy
01-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Does max import .mtl files? (if you didn't know, mtl files are the accompanying material files for .obj objects)

If it does, you should be able to use the mtl exporter from my web page to save a file max will load..

CB_3D
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Ok, i had to update the LW fbx plugin with the newest one from the alias/autodesk site. It embeds texturemaps properly and now they load as they should in max.

Pheww...

Looking forward to the day something in 3d works without 20 trial and error runs... :D

EDIT: only the diffuse channel is carried over. Better than nothing. Tired of this, weīll redo the materials manually in max.

CB_3D
01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
And at this point let me comment how wonderfully easy surfaces and materials are managed in LW opposed to max. Their material editor is a real nightmare.

Lewis
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
And at this point let me comment how wonderfully easy surfaces and materials are managed in LW opposed to max. Their material editor is a real nightmare.

I agree on that :). It has some nice features but i wouldn't like to work in it all day :).

Scott_Blinn
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Looking forward to the day something in 3d works without 20 trial and error runs... :D

Hopefully COLLADA will make this easier- if LW actually supports it like everyone else (figures crossed). At least it will help me in game development! ;-)

http://www.collada.org/