PDA

View Full Version : Rounder Bug / Feature Request

Matt
01-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Is it me or does Rounder (now part of LightWave) appear to fail in even more modelling situations.

I'm sure the version that wasn't part of LightWave was more robust.

Anyway, try this simple test, fails every time for me, and Rounder SHOULD be able to do this most simple of examples.

This has made me worry about plugins being absorbed into LightWave, it means they might not receive the attention and updates compared to when they were developed independently.

Matt

evenflcw
01-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Rounder should be retired. Like many other plugins NT absorbed it is just a glorified hack that is trying to simulate functionality LW doesn't have (obviously edges in this case). For this reason the interface is way more complicated than it needs to be and it has too many pitfalls and probably can't be improved upon much anyways (the benefit wouldn't justify the cost). Next version of LW is supposed to have edges. Rounder and a bunch of other functions should be placed in the legacy folder and replaced by properly implemented tools that are more powerful, flexible and stable yet easier to use. I bet they aren't though.

Matt
01-19-2006, 02:51 AM
You know, you're absolutely right!

Joscci
01-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the problem with Rounder when using the OGL POLY feature is that it'll break up your geometry in unexpected ways as can be seen from the attachment below. I moved the points after following your instructions and as you can see there are missing polys. Generally, you should avoid the OGL POLY feature, and add OGL POLYS yourself via the Bevel tool instead -- this way you have more control and there are no surprises.

You should check your point statistics, and watch out for points that only have 2-polys attached to them, as points belonging to edges you intend to round should generally have at least 3-polys per point.

However, I DO agree, that Rounder SHOULD be able to handle it, and for some reason, it breaks appart under certain circumstances. Consequently (provided you avoid the OGL POLY feature in rounder), I've found that almost every problem I run up against with Rounder is correctible -- you just have to keep a close eye with the statistics window, and watch for hidden geometry, or missing geometry and stray points and such which are always the culprit behind Rounder being so sensitive to messing up.

Cheers.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26236&stc=1

parm
01-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Long since given up on Rounder, can't handle the anxiety.

erikals
01-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Yup Matt, same problem in 8.5