PDA

View Full Version : Topographical Map - Skinning Question

AdamAvenali
01-17-2006, 06:44 PM
okay so i am working on a landscape and i have the topographical map.. so i figured i would use the pen tool to rough out a shape according to the contour lines.. trace all of the contours like that.. then click "make skin" under the multiply tab and then subpatch it.. although i'm having an issue with the skin coming out the way i want it to.. is there something i should know about the tool that makes it connect wherever it wants to? is there a science to this madness? haha

note: these two shapes are just tests to show what i was trying to do and what i was ending up with..

thanks,
adam

Celshader
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Two thoughts...

Make sure the normals of the two selected polygons face away from each other before you Skin them together.

The Skin tool will try to connect the points that it thinks are closest together.

Maybe spline-patching's an easier way to go..?

geothefaust
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
"make skin" will make triangles along the polygon, as you have noticed.

I would do it this way... Select the points in order, clockwise. Then hit "p" to make a poly. Then from there, you can smoothshift or bevel to add the elevation, and to add more edges, just use the "add edges" tool, where you want them.

geothefaust
01-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Or as Celshader said, splinepatch it all.

AdamAvenali
01-17-2006, 07:02 PM
wow you know spline patching makes a lot more sense haha i really dont know why i try to make more work for myself..

thanks everyone! :thumbsup: