PDA

View Full Version : Red Wine

holeycow
01-17-2006, 07:34 AM
The fluid dynamics for this was done in Realflow, but everything else is all Lightwave. When I originally did the animation for an exhibition, I had the glass sitting on a table in a black void, but now I find the cloud background works much better.

Captain Obvious
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Nitpick: wine is much, much less viscous, and a bit less diffuse and more transparent. That looks more like thick paint or something. ;)

-[DRaGoNFLy]-
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
More transparant whine and the glass should 'break'the light (know what I mean?)

then it should look great!

holeycow
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the comments, I don't know what you mean by breaking the light though.

loki74
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
okay... if RF I think what you want to do is use relaxation if you havent already, or decrease the meta ball size a bit. You might want to use a wetmap too, so that the wine will realistically "stick" to areas of the glass it has already touched.

I find that getting red wine to look right is kind of difficult in LW... I havent tried it but it might be worth a shot using a surface thickness gradient? :stumped:

I have no idea what "breaking the light" could refer to. First thing Id think is refraction, but you already have that. Caustics? but there are no surfaces that the caustics could show up on... I'm lost... maybe he means like separate it out. what is that called, chromatic abberation or something like that??

One more thing, is it just me, or does the rim of the glass appear to be "segmented?" Like its not smooth and round, doesnt look like it has been subdivided.

-[DRaGoNFLy]-
01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I still haven't found the right word for 'breaking the light'

but what I mean is this:

with glasses you see things sharper.. you see everything sharper with glasses because the light goes through the glass and then turn direction.

this is the best way I can explain in English.. hope it helps. :thumbsup:

Captain Obvious
01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
It's called refraction in english. ;)

holeycow
01-19-2006, 05:21 PM
I accept the points about making the wine more realistic and subdividing the glass again, but I'm still confused about this issue of "breaking the light" as I spent quite some time getting the refraction settings to match a real glass. It's pretty accurate compared to the glass I used as reference.