PDA

View Full Version : Animating ripple texture?

Kuzey
01-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Hi guys,

How does one animate LW's ripple shader so it moves out from the center of a surface and the rings thickness changes as well?

I'm trying to simulate a pebble thrown into a pond but I don't want the polygons to deform...just the texture.

Any ideas.

Many thanks,

Kuzey

starbase1
01-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Well...
You can use one origin for ripples, for one stone thrown in.

You can control the postion by reducing the size, which controls the volume
within which the centres appear, then you can use the texture centre to place it.

You can fade the strength of the bump with distance from texture centre to make it fade out.

I can't see off the top of my head how you can easily make the area near the centre go flat as the ripples expand, short of lknocking up an animated mask of some sort...

IFW2 has a much more complete system, and it's a great value product:
http://www.shaders.org/ifw2_textures/
See the rain animation:
http://www.shaders.org/ifw2_textures/movies.htm

But it should be possible to do what you want pretty well native in lightwave?

Nick

byte_fx
01-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Try using falloff maybe?

Kuzey
01-17-2006, 03:54 AM
I managed to use an Oscillator Modifier on one of the channels...after clicking the "Envelop" button. But that doesn't animate the ripples just the background.

"Falloff"

Mmmm...I see it has an envelop button as well, maybe a combination of falloff, size and position would work. IT would have been great if the Procedural settings like "Wave Sources", "Wavelength" and "Wave speed" had their own envelops.

Thanks again,

Kuzey

byte_fx
01-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Yep - it would be.

You can parent the ripple to a null and move it to move the center of the effect.

should also be able to control the size of the effect - but not the falloff - by scaling the axii of the null.

Clone the null, copy and paste/add the ripple texture then change the parent null in the newly added texture to the new null to duplicate if needed. Then make any tweaks to the envejoopes, etc so it wprks independently.

Sometimes there is an out of phase splash - sort of a back splash - that occurs to offset the main splash. :)

byte_fx

Ztreem
01-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Have you tried the Ripple_S plugin? It's good for ripples. I don't know if it can affect textures, maybe it only affects the mesh. I havn't used it in a while.

SplineGod
01-17-2006, 02:41 PM
How do you want the rings to change thickess, thicker or thinner with distance?

Captain Obvious
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Why the heck doesn't the ripple procedural have a "phase" control?

Kuzey
01-18-2006, 01:27 AM
I forgot to take my forum password to work :)

That null trick is just too cool :thumbsup:

SplineGod,

Thicker with distance would be wonderful.

You guys are great, many thanks!!

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I just came cross a problem with this technique.

I'm animating a packet of crackers and when the top bends forward ( gets closer to the null) the ripple texture goes out of control.

What's the best way to control the texture so it only animates when the null's size is increased and not when the distance between the two changes?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again,

Kuzey

rakker16mm
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Have you tried the Ripple_S plugin? It's good for ripples. I don't know if it can affect textures, maybe it only affects the mesh. I havn't used it in a while.

Is any one using Ripple_S plugin on a Mac? So far I have not been able to get it to load. It seems like just the thing though.

rakker16mm
09-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Is any one using Ripple_S plugin on a Mac? So far I have not been able to get it to load. It seems like just the thing though.

A little more searching reveals an inconvenient truth... so far intel only:grumpy: