PDA

View Full Version : Is Tricaster overkill for what I need?

DavidL
01-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I need to do presentations from a projector to a 4-6 foot screen. The presentations are prerecorded video that need to be played linearly and stopped at intervals for live presenters, questions, etc. I could get away with hooking a camera or DVD player to the projector but was hoping for it to look a bit more professional than pausing to a DVD menu every few minutes. Is Tricaster overkill for this? I don't need live video switching, audio mixing, or any of the other features, just the ability to start/stop video for the presentation.

Thanks,
David

Tarheel Cougar
01-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Ultimately it depends on your budget and what your goals are. If your budget is tiny and all you really want to do is play videos and have no desire to do anything more, then it is definately overkill. You can just get a two-input switcher that will fade your DVD video source to black when you aren't playing anything and fade back up when you are. (Or use a projector with picture muting).

Beyond that, if you want a "more professional" appearance, you will need live switching, character generation, and some of the other features. We've frequently used the Tricaster in what I assume is a larger venue based on screen size, a 1500 seat auditorium. Most presenters I've seen use Powerpoint more than anything, so we use Tricaster to bring in the laptop feed, and switch between that and 1-3 cameras to show the presenter on the screen (image magnification) when video or slides are not being used. We send our final product to the screen for but also record a copy on an external DVCAM deck for archive purposes or later rebroadcast on cable. The Tricaster can leave Powerpoint on the screen using the VGA Out function while performing a separate mix for recording.

We play back videos in sequence directly from the hard drive and have smooth transitions when they start and stop, but you could also use a DVD player as one of your sources. We've also designed custom templates for title graphics and to identify speakers. By adding a deck and getting a house audio feed its easy to record the program for archive or cablecast, and you have an instant professional product. We've never used the editing functions nor the web streaming capabilities other than to test, but they are nice features also.

In short, the answer is, it depends! :thumbsup:

DavidL
01-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info! It will certainly help me.

David

David Curle
02-16-2006, 02:59 AM
I need to do presentations from a projector to a 4-6 foot screen. The presentations are prerecorded video that need to be played linearly and stopped at intervals for live presenters, questions, etc. I could get away with hooking a camera or DVD player to the projector but was hoping for it to look a bit more professional than pausing to a DVD menu every few minutes. Is Tricaster overkill for this? I don't need live video switching, audio mixing, or any of the other features, just the ability to start/stop video for the presentation.

Thanks,
David
You can feed the projector from your computer or laptop.
If all your videos are encoded to DV, MPEG2 or HDV, then a program called Airbox that I sell will do it just fine. You can pause it with a mouse or GPI button. It can run on your laptop if you like. It will also run a TV station 24/7 for a week unattended.
It can use a software codec or several video cards.
Essentially in your case you dont need hardware.
Cost of AirBox software US$2,161
Awesome software
http://www.anzt.co.nz/products/playbox/playbox_airbox.shtml
You can also download a demo version from www.playbox.tv