PDA

View Full Version : IK problem

Darrell
01-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I have a character that I rigged up with weight maps for the body parts. All but the head is giving me problems. The head deforms when I rotate the neck bone & the head bone.

I've tried adjusting the inverse distance, weight map normalization strength and adjusting the map I made for the head in modeler...can any of you LW pros give me some suggestions...that would be great :D

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1172/ikerror3mf.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4351/weight6lm.jpg

SplineGod
01-16-2006, 03:45 PM
I would recommend not using weight maps unless you absolutely have to.
LW bones are already deformers and will work immediatly after RESTING them.
This will allow to you better test deformations to determine IF you really need them or if you do, how complicated. Typically I find that I either dont need them or just 2 or 3. As simple as this character is I dont see a need for weight maps. I find it much easier to add a hold bone or two instead of messing with weight maps.

If you do use weight maps you need to make sure that every vertex has at least one weight map because a 0 strength weight isnt the same a NO weight. Also, every bone needs to be assigned to a weightmap or problems can result.

Also, weight map normalization is something that is used if you have selected "weight map only".

spec24
01-17-2006, 11:04 AM
My guess is that you have a bone that is not assigned to any weight map that is influencing your characters chin - like maybe the control bones in the shoulders. Don't know if they have a weight map applied but it would seem they don't need one and should maybe be deactivated as they are only used for control (I assume).

Darrell
01-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys...well all my points are mapped...I didn't missed any. I did as you said & turned the maps off for the head...I'm still having the same problem...maybe I need to delete my rig & start over I don't know...I dont want to but its beginning to be very tempting

SplineGod
01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
You dont need to start over. First check and make sure that EVERY bone is assigned to a weight map. If you want to simply things greatly, my advice would be to turn off ALL the weight maps. Set your bone falloff to ^128. Check your deformations after you do that. If you see a part of the head being affected by other bones add additional hold bones in layout.

spec24
01-17-2006, 01:21 PM
it's got to be a rogue bone. Whenever I encounter this, an active bone (that shouldn't be, or isn't assigned a weight map) is always the culprit.