PDA

View Full Version : Advice about switching to Lightwave

bump
01-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I have worked in Softimage 3.8 and am currently working in Cinema 4D 7.3 to mainly do retail visualizations - however I miss Softimage and the flexibility (esp for character and dynamics)...

For us to upgrade from C4D 7.3 to 9.5 would cost around $1495 - Lightwave new is $795... are there any of you that previously worked in another app and if so, what was your experience - was it an easier interface, did it work smoother, etc. I know nothing about Lightwave but interested in gathering info to possibly switch...

Any help/suggestions/stories/advice is appreciated.

-bump

Zane Condren
01-16-2006, 02:28 PM
If you own Cinema 4D or Softimage(any version) You can purchase a copy of LightWave 3D 8.5 with a free upgrade to 9 for $495.

Lewis
01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi !

IF you worked in SI i think you could find yourself "at home" pretty fast in LW 'coz both of them are based TEXT icons/interface. I can't help you too much about C4D comparison 'coz last time i used Cinema it was version 1.0 on Amiga :). But if you are ready for learning LW you are at right place 'coz community will help you very fast and with noticable effort. Also if you buy LW 8.5 now you'll get 9.0 free (when it ships) and NewTeks policy (so far) was that only full point upgrades are for charging. So if that still stands you'd got all 9.x upgrades for free (check this with NewTek).

BTW welcome to LW forums ;).

bump
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't see any demo version available, am I just missing it or is there not one available?... I'm hoping the interface is easy to adjust to and can minimize the learning curve...

Zane Condren
01-17-2006, 10:54 AM
if you would like a demo, please send your full shipping address and phone number to [email protected] and I will get one to you.

prospector
01-17-2006, 02:39 PM
But if you are ready for learning LW you are at right place 'coz community will help you very fast and with noticable effort.

So true...so true

Wonderpup
01-17-2006, 03:11 PM
I made the switch from Max to Lightwave for the simple reason that i could not afford to buy Max for home use. But once I got my head around Lightwave I found it a really nice enviroment to work in- and the quality of my work improved a lot.

Lightwave's great strengh is that it allows you to create great looking results fast- which is why it is used so extensively for TV shows. The renderer really is something special- it even makes my flying logo's look good.

In terms of learning you won't have any trouble, the text based buttons have the shortcuts on them, so you pick them up real fast.

To be fair, I don't think Lightwave can claim to be the best tool for really sophisticated character animation- but for more simple characters it works well and has some nice features, like the fact that lightwave's bone's don't always need to be weightmapped- they just work on their own.

As always, the tool you buy depends on what you want to do. If you're looking for an all round capable app, one that will allow you to create good looking results quickly, then I would say at present, at it's pricepoint, Lightwave is the way to go.

GregMalick
01-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll give you the best advice I can from a recent experience.

I was interested in knowing about RealFlow. I saw a free video tutorial on Digital Tutors and watching that gave me a good idea about the interface without blindly stumbling through the app.

NewTek (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/), SplineGod (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/), SimplyLightwave (http://www.simplylightwave.com/) (to name a few) have free videos that will give you a good idea of the workflow. Watch some of those and then when your Demo CD arrives you can check it out better.

Works for me --- could work for you.

AbnRanger
01-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Have you contacted the Maxon sales dept. or reseller to ask them if they can give you a better offer, since you are seriously considering LW due to price? If they don't budge....then LW8.5-9/Vue 5 Infinite Bundle is way too sweet to pass up.
Check out the new features list on LW 9. The improvements may not knock you out of your chair, but they are the type that EVERY LW user can appreciate on a daily basis...like a faster Renderer and SubD's...full set of edge tools added, etc.