PDA

View Full Version : Layout - Replace Object always skips a layer

Tom Wood
01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
I started out with LW7.5c and now have LW8.5. Oddly, the problem followed the upgrade, telling me that the issue must lie in the object or scene files.

I have a set of standard characters that are all essentially the same head, each with 11 layers for the various parts. Layer ten is the ears, and for a character with big hair, the ears don't show, so I deleted the geometry in that layer for the big hair characters.

However, one time when in 7.5 when I did a Replace Object in Layout that replaced an object -with- geometry in layer ten with an object -without- geometry in layer ten, the program glitched. Forever after, it always skips layer ten even though I now always leave some geometry in layer ten so it has something to replace.

I was hoping that the problem would go away with the upgrade to 8.5 but that isn't so. What can I look at in the object/scene files to fix this?

Thanks,

TW

byte_fx
01-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Sounds strange - maybe.

Doersn't LW use the original object's active layers (i.e. actually loaded into the scene) as a template when replacing an object?

So if the original object didn't have an active layer 10 in the scene - even though the object has a 10th layer - it won't add the new objects 10th layer because, as far as the scene is concerned, the 10th layer isn't being used.

Just a thought.

byte_fx

Tom Wood
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I opened one of the standard scenes in Notepad, and I think I can see generally where the problem lies. But I don't have the programming skills to fix it. Each object layer is loaded sequentially except layer ten, which is added near the end. But there is a lot of keyframe info associated with the layer that shouldn't be there. If I delete it and add layer ten in sequence, the scene is botched because layer ten has somehow been associated with a null in the scene. Weird.

Some day I'll go back and recreate the scene without the glitch, but there's too much to reconstruct, so I'll live with it.

TW