PDA

View Full Version : Support for "ctrl" and "alt" when configuring keys

mjanson
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Well the title pretty much says it all... It puts a real dent in the workflow having to bring in the menus to access some feature as I am out of space on my keyboard. Or at least space that makes some sense in terms of reachability and that makes sense.

I would like to see support for "ctrl+[lowercase letter]" and the "alt" key. Right now you can't assign a feature to “ctrl+shift+[key]” and have it differ from “ctrl+[key]”. The "alt" key currently only works with the function keys. Perhaps there is some logic to why that is...

It's not a very technical, high profile feature request but something that would speed up workflow greatly... I would appreciate if you would consider it... and implement it yesterday... ;)

/Magnus

Capt Lightwave
05-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Because I'm a bit lazy, I thought I could post this suggestion one more time....

Here's the text from the "original" post:

I had an idea the other day that may be a solution to the shortcut key "dillemma"....
What if you could add several shortcuts to the same key?

The idea was that, if you held the key down for longer than...say 1/2 second, you'd be given a list of choises for that key...shorter than that 1/2 second...the shortcut directly mapped to that key.

Since I was a little bored at work (non LightWave related), I made this image to show what I mean...3 different versions of the same theme...well 2actually, since two of them shows what happens when there's a different number of shortcuts mapped to the same key.
http://home.no.net/tbj69/Misc/Modeler.jpg

Valter
05-15-2003, 01:06 AM
I already said:D
this idea was fantastic. newtek must do it!!!!!!

Matt
05-15-2003, 02:02 AM
if NT don't sort the shortcuts issue out in v8, I'll be forced to think they aren't listening to their customers, it's such a simple request too.

not sure about the Wavefront menus, I'd have to try 'em to know if they're any good or not.

I don't use LW's popup up menus as it is, maybe because I have to hold ctrl + shift to invoke them (very silly)

Matt

Capt Lightwave
05-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Matt

not sure about the Wavefront menus, I'd have to try 'em to know if they're any good or not.

The idea was to minimize the possibility of selecting the wrong tool, as you're more likely to do if they're just listed below each other, especially if you're in a "hurry" :\

With a "growing star" configuration, I think you'll have a bit more control over the selection...(with growing star configuration I mean that the number of "arms" on the star grows with the number of tools assigned to that button, up to a certain degree of course)

Anyway, it was just an idea....

faulknermano
05-17-2003, 09:28 PM
maya's marking menus are awesome. but they are patented to some degree.

if you check out 3dsmax 4, youwill see that it has a similar configuration as maya's marking menus. the idea, i think, is to create context menus that appear AROUND the mouse pointer rather than simply at the bottom right of it.

i'm for any type of marking menu configuration. i dont like clicking on buttons in the side panel. ;)

erikals
05-19-2003, 04:22 PM
"Support for "ctrl" and "alt" when configuring keys"
Agree Magnus, not sure why it's not already done.

Erik