PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a network of PC's ???

andy gee
01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi everybody

i have managed to get hold of 3 PC towers that i want to link together,

i think this is called networking but i have no idea, do i need some extra

cables or do do i need to setup some sort of screamernet that i have heard

about ?

Also i would like to know how fast my renders would be increased by when

all of the machines are running ?

If anybody can shed some light on these questions or could offer any advice

then that would be great

Cheers Andy Gee

spec24
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
yes, that's networking. You will need two network cables to link computer to computer or a hub and three network cables if you go that route. Screamernet is LW's network renderer - I suggest investing in something like Amletto to ease your pain in setting this little gem up. How much faster will your renders be?? Tough to say. Are you looking to render a scene on each computer (used for animation) or are you looknig to break up a single render over your three computers?

Silkrooster
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Before you buy any cables you need to make up your mind on how you want to connect the computers together. The first way spec24 mentions is called "daisy chaining" and can work if you have 2 network jacks on the back of the computer. The second way is using a router or switch and can be set up as point to point or server/client. Most routers have a switch built in but not all, so look on the box and firewall is important if this will be connected to broadband or dsl. Meaning of switch (a box that connects multiple computers together and allows them to comunicate with each other by switching connections from one computer to another) like an operator in the old days.
Routers/hubs/switches very similar but each perform slightly different. Best to look up on wikipedia to find the true differences.
One thing to keep in mind if you do get a router, odds are it will be expecting a wan connection from dsl or broadband. If you don't have either one, it will still work, but it may give you a few headaches while you get it set up.
Once you get the network set up, I recommend you check the screamernet section of the forum. You will find tutorial links to getting screamernet working.
Silk