PDA

View Full Version : Bridge to Tomorrow

cc3d
01-14-2006, 08:58 PM
This is an image I produced for a client in 1997. It actually was voted 'best of show' by several magazines at the Chicago show my Client's client used it for. It was rendered at 8,000 x 8,000 (had to use a hack to get Lightwave to render at that resolution) It was then printed from a large format color printer. I've got about 100 poster size prints. I remember at the time, it was a real monster to process on my fastest machine. Real memory hog. It pops right up these days.

Came across it the other day and Thought I'd post it.

adrian
01-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Very interesting image :)

How did you get LW to render it back then? Just curious....

cc3d
01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I did some research into where Lightwave had the resolution restraints in the .exe file code. Someone else had done this before. It was not a question of capability, it was a restraint programmed into Lightwave at that time. I've always been into coding and with a hex editor it was a pretty easy fix. LW wasn't very stable with it, but it worked for this job.

CC

liquidpope
01-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey, that's a cool image. Nice water for so long ago.

I remember my first LW machine; A blazing 90MHZ Pentium with a whopping 40 MEGS of ram. Raytracing was a last resort, and radiosity wasn't even considered. An scene like yours here would have rendered in 2 or 3 hours, maybe, at 640x480. This was '91-'92, roughly. Those were not the good old days...

What were your render times back then, any idea? Processor speed?