PDA

View Full Version : Mechwarrior movie project

Mechwarrior
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this..

Myself and several graphic artists are developing a short film based on the Mechwarrior universe to be used as a catalyst for getting the feature film made. It's going to be about 10 minutes long and involve about 120 CG shots. This project is well underway, but we have realized that we need a few more talented Lightwave artists to get the film completed by our August deadline when we premiere it at Gencon 2006. This is a great opportunity for a LW artist to get their work out there, and we are not like other online projects that cop out after two months of work....our staff actually has a track record for getting stuff done! So you can be sure that if you help us out, you will be contributing to something substantial. You can read more details about the opportunity at www.mechwarriormovie.com

We are using Lightwave as our modeller and renderer for the CG elements. There are specific talents we are looking for, which are on our hot list for needs:

- Convincing terrain and environmental effects
- Animation expertise
- Explosion, fire, and particle effects expertise

Thank you very much!
Carl

jeremyhardin
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
paid or unpaid? sounds unpaid. correct me if i'm wrong though.

Hoopti
01-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Hope they have the the permission from FASA to do this as well, even if it is non-commercial, it's still copyrighted material.

Hoop

jeremyhardin
01-15-2006, 11:02 AM
their page seems to be approaching it as a 'fan film' and suggests that it's legal in that realm. sounds legal enough to me, but i do 3d, not law.

WilliamVaughan
01-24-2006, 07:41 AM
We are working on one atthe Dave School and went Directly to WizKids so that we could be legit...was an easy move sincethey use LW to create they Mechs for their game. If your in Orlando and want to star in it come on by the auditions:
http://www.daveschool.com/MechWarrior.htm

spec24
01-24-2006, 08:48 AM
their page seems to be approaching it as a 'fan film' and suggests that it's legal in that realm. sounds legal enough to me, but i do 3d, not law.

why does everyone assume 'fan films' are legal? They are only legal if the person who owns the copyright lets you make it. You cannot assume a 'fan film' is legal just because people make Star Wars and other films thanks to Lucas's "big heart" - remember, he almost put an end to them.

jeremyhardin
01-24-2006, 08:55 AM
why does everyone assume 'fan films' are legal? They are only legal if the person who owns the copyright lets you make it. You cannot assume a 'fan film' is legal just because people make Star Wars and other films thanks to Lucas's "big heart" - remember, he almost put an end to them.
i'm not assuming anything. only reciting what their page says.

We are working on one atthe Dave School and went Directly to WizKids so that we could be legit...was an easy move sincethey use LW to create they Mechs for their game. If your in Orlando and want to star in it come on by the auditions:
http://www.daveschool.com/MechWarrior.htm
proton, who is this directed to? everyone?

**used to be part of a traveling acting group and wouldn't mind trying my hand at it again :D**

WilliamVaughan
01-24-2006, 09:03 AM
We are doing auditions so everyone is welcome to try out. Lee Stringer is directing this one so win him over and you will be in the movie :)

As far as the fan films goes...we had to get the ok from Warner brothers for the Batman: New Times. We were worried that they might say no....They could have asked us to not distribute it which would have sucked for all involved. I'm sure having Adam West and Mark Hmil involved didnt hurt.

jeremyhardin
01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Alas. I checked the Dave School Auditions page and saw that they're January 30. Can't justify the time off :(. ah well, my day will come! ;)

spec24
01-24-2006, 09:24 AM
i'm not assuming anything. only reciting what their page says.

sorry Jermey - wasn't directly referring to you. I was really referring to their site and what they said that because it's a fan film it's legal.

jeremyhardin
01-24-2006, 09:33 AM
sorry Jermey - wasn't directly referring to you. I was really referring to their site and what they said that because it's a fan film it's legal.
no worries mate. just making sure that mild animosity didn't have my name on it ;)

WilliamVaughan
01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Alas. I checked the Dave School Auditions page and saw that they're January 30. Can't justify the time off :(. ah well, my day will come! ;)

Keep me updated with your schedule and maybe you can be in the next one...or maybe we could get you as a guest speaker. I'd love to have you out!

jeremyhardin
01-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Keep me updated with your schedule and maybe you can be in the next one...or maybe we could get you as a guest speaker. I'd love to have you out!
thanks! :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
01-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Hope they have the the permission from FASA to do this as well, even if it is non-commercial, it's still copyrighted material.

Hoop

I think Wiz Kids Games owns the rights to the Mechwarrior Universe now.
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_home.asp

Indeed I'm surprised this issue was not presented in the first post.

Mechwarrior
02-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Wait a second.

There's some major confusion here. So DAVE school is making a Mechwarrior film now? We had no idea of this.

The actual film that was mentioned in the OP is at mechwarriormovie.com, a different project.

jeremyhardin
02-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Welcome back! So was it paid or unpaid work?

WilliamVaughan
02-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes...it is mentioned on the WizKids Site

JamesCurtis
02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by spec24

"why does everyone assume 'fan films' are legal? They are only legal if the person who owns the copyright lets you make it. You cannot assume a 'fan film' is legal just because people make Star Wars and other films thanks to Lucas's "big heart" - remember, he almost put an end to them."

Back when Star Wars first came out, me and a friend of mine started work on a Super 8mm fan film parody [in 1978] we had contacted them to let them know about the project and we got back a letter from Lucas's lawyers to "cease and desist" production or we would face a lawsuit! We were using our own ship designs and everything.

Needless to say we stopped production due to the possibility of a lawsuit.

Adrian Lopez
02-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Parody is a bit different than other kinds of derivative works as far as copyright infringement is concerned. See here (http://www.publaw.com/parody.html). On the other hand, it's possible to get sued regardless of whose side the law is on.

Fun trivia: During the opening sequence for a particular Simpsons Halloween Special the Simpsons appear as The Munsters. When Lisa walks into the scene she is carrying a big book titled "Copyright Law".

Initium Thoth
03-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I have to assume this is a not-for profit venture. If you would consider someone completely green... I am not a pro, and barely an amateur (linked work below) but, I would be interested. I am passionate about hard surface modeling, and 'Mechs in particular. I am able to learn quickly.

I stared modeling with free tools(wings/blender) last april and was introduced to LW in the winter. I am a Battletech fan and most all of the following linked material is modeled for a MechWarrior4:Mercs mod(hence the joints being limited to Frankenstein style poses :D ).

Here are some examples of my work, to this point:

click on the thumbnails linked here for full image (http://www.mech-works.com/images/thoth/wip/preview.php)

My Garm Model in the Deep View plugin (http://www.mech-works.com/images/thoth/Garm_HP_tri_for_render.html)

HellRaiserXX
04-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Is there a forum somewhere for discussion on the Dave's School project?