PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Paint not working?

jaxtone
01-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I have made a cartoon character and made the IK setup by using skelegons in modeler. I then went by the book in LW 3D to setup the IK bone structures hierarchy. At this stage I also renamed the bones to have more understandable names. Then I went into the Vertex Paint Editor in LW modeler to erase the red colors in the wrong areas attracted by the bones. Still the influence from the bones deforms the characters wrong limbs that are not wanted to be deformed.

I will attach an image that describes what I mean and would be pleased if someone could tell what wrong I am doing here!

J

ercaxus
01-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Do you have a bone in the head to hold the head in one place? It should help. If you want to have a bone to influence only its own weight-mapped area then you can try the "weight map only" option in bone properties, you will probably have to set all the bones "weight map only".
Good luck :D

jaxtone
01-14-2006, 03:37 AM
I will try that! Thanks!

J

Axis3d
01-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Vertex Paint is one of those hidden gems that I hope Newtek will expand on.

When you are painting your weights in Vertex Paint, you can test their influence right there, you don't have to go into Layout and convert bones. To test a bone's influence in Vertex Paint, hold down Ctrl and rotate one of the pitch or heading rings of the bone. If the weight from that bone is affecting another part of your model, you will see it happening right there. You can reset the bone by choosing Edit > Reset the Bone.

You can even align the bank handles of each bone in Vertex Paint, instead of in modeler. This feels like a better process to me than doing it in modeler. In Vertex Paint, click on the button that looks like a bone with a curved arrow next to it. This activates the bank rotation. Ctrl + click on the bank ring to rotate the arrow to face the right direction. Then unclick the button when you are done.

Also, since your character looks like it is modeled symetrically, you can select the upper left arm bone, then Edit > Copy. Then select the upper right arm bone and Edit > Paste -X. This will mirror the weight across to the other side.

As far as the problem you are having with parts of your model deforming when they shouldn't, you probably have bones in your model that do not have weight maps on them. What happens is that these bones act like magnets and pull on neighboring points. When using weight maps in a model, I like to make sure that all points in the model belong to bones that have weightmaps assigned. I tend to have bones in my model that are helper bones or bones that don't need to deform the object. In this case I uncheck "Bone Active" in Layout for that particular bone. This way the bone does not have any influence on the points. Working this way, you do not need to worry about the "weight map only" option.

jaxtone
01-15-2006, 10:17 AM
There actually was a free bone include in the character... dunno how it ended up there... now I maybe did something to complicated but I went back into Modeler and did a total remake and rename session of the skelegons.

Still when I use Vertex Paint in modeler it seems to be impossible to get rid of the attraction from the upper arms bones at the cheek of the character.

I use erase in Vertex Paint... and the save these changes into modeler, But as soon as I open the character the cheeks are still red.

Hmmm... any guess?

J

Axis3d
01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
When you rotate your arm bone in Vertex Paint, do any cheek points move with them? If it works in Vertex Paint, then maybe the changes are not being saved out into modeler. When you use "Save to Modeler" from Vertex Paint, are you sure that your model in modeler is actually updated? If the red in the cheeks is still there after saving from Vertex Paint, then it seems that your model is not being updated somehow. It seems kind of weird that only the red weights on the cheeks would keep coming back. You might try a test in Vertex Paint by painting something wacky and obvious and use "Save to Modeler", just to see if modeler gets updated.